IGNORED

Pixar's Lightyear - just to be clear, this isn’t Buzz Lightyear the toy. This is the origin story of the human Buzz Lightyear that the toy is based on

Nick R

Took the family to see this today and quite enjoyed it. Not sure I'd rush to see it again, but wasn't horrendously disappointed either... A solid 6/10, just better than 'good enough'!

10 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Did they remove the kiss scene? I didn't see it (or remember doing so).

There's a non-sexy kiss between Hawthorne and her partner at one point but it was very brief.

Well that was certainly a thing. It was on the screen there. My eyes saw it. My five and six year old girls seemed to enjoy it. Although even they were squirming in their seats for the last twenty minutes. It does the usual Pixar thing of being fairly entertaining for the first two acts then bores the arse off you until the end.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this.

Was the cat intentionally channeling Baymax? The opening lines of dialogue (“I am your personal healthcare companion”) and the manner of delivery was pretty blatant.

I’m not sure why they would even want to do that though.

So weird to have Buzz’s most famous lines delivered by someone else like a sub-par cover version: Obviously this is supposed to tell us why he said those specific things (like “you’re mocking me aren’t you”)… as opposed to him just saying them because he has a personality of his own and that’s how he talks. Weird.

Felt a bit like the Han Solo getting his name at the immigration counter thing. Completely unnecessary.

I was staggered at how generic and unambitious this was, it's very small in scale, it all takes place on one planet, the main villain is just, well if you've seen it you know, and the most insight we get to this whole galaxy and civilisation is that sandwiches put bread in the middle.

I also think they should have done an intro with Andy going into the cinema or something, felt a bit weak to just put up a couple of lines of text considering how odd the character in a film based on a character in a film thing is.

7 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I was staggered at how generic and unambitious this was, it's very small in scale, it all takes place on one planet, the main villain is just, well if you've seen it you know, and the most insight we get to this whole galaxy and civilisation is that sandwiches put bread in the middle.

I also think they should have done an intro with Andy going into the cinema or something, felt a bit weak to just put up a couple of lines of text considering how odd the character in a film based on a character in a film thing is.

Pixar don't give a fuck. The middle-age flab years for Pixar.

Maybe because we watch Jurassic Park Dominion day bfore, but honestly I really enjoyed Lightyear. Its a fine movie but not a great Pixar movie.  I thought it was pretty damn funny and entertaining. Not as terrible as people are saying.

12 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Pixar: Will This Do?

I feel people are definitely over reacting, Pixar films set a very high bar for quality. Did people forget Cars 2, Monster University. Lightyear was decent, it doesn't break any new ground but it was a really fun space flick.

22 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I feel people are definitely over reacting, Pixar films set a very high bar for quality. Did people forget Cars 2, Monster University. Lightyear was decent, it doesn't break any new ground but it was a really fun space flick.

Will this do? isn't really overreacting though. It's just about fine. Although I reckon kids would as bored as fuck by it.

Just now, Festoon said:

Will this do? isn't really overreacting though. It's just about fine. Although I reckon kids would as bored as fuck by it.

Watched it with my niece and her friends who came over and they enjoyed it. I admit the space time went over their heads but there was enough that I didn't have to turn it off and let them play on the Switch. 

I don't get the hate for it myself but then again my tastes run different. I don't think its terrible as Pixar has made worst but there's a collective glee from people happy Pixar "fail" and happily just dumping on them because they didn't make the mark. Maybe I'm overreacting here?.

21 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Watched it with my niece and her friends who came over and they enjoyed it. I admit the space time went over their heads but there was enough that I didn't have to turn it off and let them play on the Switch. 

I don't get the hate for it myself but then again my tastes run different. I don't think its terrible as Pixar has made worst but there's a collective glee from people happy Pixar "fail" and happily just dumping on them because they didn't make the mark. Maybe I'm overreacting here?.

I haven't seen anyone who hated it - more a sense of Pixar treading water, really.

21 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

Nah, there's a weird level of cuntery surrounding some of the commentary on it. 

There's that around everything, look at the Jordan Peele thread here. 

This was average, average in concept, average in execution.

I haven't seen this yet but it's interesting that again the reaction to a Pixar film is indifference, of it lacking ambition. People have too much going on in their lives (says I, posting on a forum) to go through oh, what should a Buzz Lightyear film be, but Pixar do spend that time and money. How many films have scenes that in the script are bare bones and on the day they play around and add more to it.

The impression Pixar always gave was of the highest professional standards and work ethic in that American way, and one of the things they always emphasise is reworking storyboards to rinse as much quality out of every single second.

They're all the happiest people, the Americans with the best health care, in love with animation, what someone said above of the film beginning with just some text rather than something evocative like Andy leaving the cinema seems like a simple obvious idea but one where you think..yeah why didn't they do that. 

Is it Disney confining them, a lack of passion, a lack of inspiration. Is it that the shift in their existence to churning out films for the Disney channel has dampened their spirits of their previous ambition to redefine what cgi animation could be. But some people think they still do, some sections of Inside Out being wildly creative...but always sat inside a familiar easily digestible still safe box. I don't know what it is but it is something, I expect to be indifferent because I'm dead inside, but when others aren't feeling it either, something is up. 

21 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Is it Disney confining them, a lack of passion, a lack of inspiration. Is it that the shift in their existence to churning out films for the Disney channel has dampened their spirits of their previous ambition to redefine what cgi animation could be. But some people think they still do, some sections of Inside Out being wildly creative...but always sat inside a familiar easily digestible still safe box. I don't know what it is but it is something, I expect to be indifferent because I'm dead inside, but when others aren't feeling it either, something is up. 

I don’t think it’s that they lack passion or inspiration, given Turning Red that came just months ago was pretty wildly loved and is quite different from the Pixar movies that came before in many aspects.  Their hit rate might be a bit more normal now, instead of straight home runs for almost two decades that you don’t get anywhere else.  You can’t really say hey are just churning out films for Disney+ When their last 4 were originals that just ended up in the pandemic.  I guess the worry is that this will be where they end up given who is leading Disney now and how they might misread all this.  I do agree about the weird glee some people have about Lightyear not doing well because it’s a ‘cash grab’ and at is happy that Minions is doing better.

So yeah um in other news this is on Disney+ on 3rd August and well I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Pixars stuff has been very hit and miss recently; Soul was great but very distinctive. Luca was rather meh. I rather liked Turning Red but wife hated it.

This just looks fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it. A few nice moments, but pretty by the numbers.

Visually middle of the road, bar some cool lighting in places. Script definitely needed a few more passes. The references were all on the nose. The second act lagged like fuck, and the origin of the baddie made no logical sense and was quickly glossed over. 

All the supporting characters were irritating non-entities, seemingly there to do dumb shit to drag out the plot. Evans was fine, I suppose.

The exception was Sox, who was great fun (in a focus-grouped-within-an-inch-of-its-life kinda way).

What next, a Woody origin story? No ta.

6/10 (and 4 of them are for the cat).

I really enjoyed this :huh:

I went in with low expectations following the rather negative reactions, but I thought it was good. I actually enjoyed the story, the first act was especially fun and it had just about enough humour throughout... thanks to the cat. 

Not up there with their greats but nowhere near the bottom either, perhaps middling for Pixar but that's still a nice way to spend close to two hours. 

Kids were quite restless throughout mind, I think if they saw it again they'd like it a lot more. They found the cat hilarious, but the plot went over their heads which made a lot of it uninteresting.