IGNORED

State of Play 27th October 10pm

Sarlaccfood

Can anyone think of a console that’s had a worse first year and beyond than PlayStation 5? I’ve had mine for coming up to a year and so far have bought Last of Us II to play on it cos’ I missed it on PlayStation 4. AstroBot was good too. 

I know we’ve had the pandemic but fucking hell Sony!

2 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

Can anyone think of a console that’s had a worse first year and beyond than PlayStation 5? I’ve had mine for coming up to a year and so far have bought Last of Us II to play on it cos’ I missed it on PlayStation 4. AstroBot was good too. 

The Apple Pippin

3 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

Hmm, can’t agree with you there I’m afraid.

Demons Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Deathloop. Not a bad showing really.

9 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

Both PS3 and PS4 had pretty sorry first years. Remember the "PS3 has no games" meme? As for the PS4, the first game really worth getting one for was Bloodborne, which came out 18 months after the PS4 was released, and besides that it was still slim pickings. And the lesson is kids? Don't buy consoles on launch. You get sucked into the hype, after which you realize you'd be better off playing the consoles you already have. I (finally) learned my lesson after the 3DS.

10 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

I mean this is basically bringing that other thread here, but clearly the series X. It’s launch titles are coming just one year late. 

That said this was the worst state of play/direct type thing  I’ve ever seen. 

11 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Hmm, can’t agree with you there I’m afraid.

Demons Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Deathloop. Not a bad showing really.

Plus the updates to older games like Horizon, God of War, Days Gone, Death Stranding, TLOU Part 2 all majorly improve them on the PS5. Oh, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade.

17 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

The Playstation 2, 3 or 4.

2 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The Playstation 2, 3 or 4.

Plus the Series X/S. They basically forgot to actually have any launch games. 

I feel like the logic behind this State of Play was that they wanted to promote Little Devil Inside and desperately scrounged around for 15 minutes worth of crap to go with it.

22 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Both PS3 and PS4 had pretty sorry first years. Remember the "PS3 has no games" meme? As for the PS4, the first game really worth getting one for was Bloodborne, which came out 18 months after the PS4 was released, and besides that it was still slim pickings. And the lesson is kids? Don't buy consoles on launch. You get sucked into the hype, after which you realize you'd be better off playing the consoles you already have. I (finally) learned my lesson after the 3DS.

Nintendo even gave us a bunch of ambassador games because they felt sorry for us for buying the thing. Still turned out to be an incredible console, mind. 

27 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

And the lesson is kids? Don't buy consoles on launch. You get sucked into the hype, after which you realize you'd be better off playing the consoles you already have. I (finally) learned my lesson after the 3DS.

Indeed. But well we are a year in now. :D To be fair we've had R&C, Returnal, Spiderman amongst others. So not all bad.

Looking down the list of announcements there are some interesting titles in there sure no AAA big blockbuster releases but well we already know they will take some time to come though.

Eurogamer has a run down:-

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-27-everything-in-tonights-playstation-state-of-play

Shame there is no exclusive PS5 content though to show.  Still seems I have a quiet, fast PS4 Pro with a different controller. Not having had a PS4 for a bit catching up on PS4 games library. Never played God Of War for example... and I had an enjoyable couple of hours on it tonight... so much so that I completely missed this announcement... :D

Returnal is leaps and bounds above anything the PS4 had before Bloodborne. It's by far the best thing I've played this year in what's been a pretty good year! It's brilliant. Deathloop's great. The Demon's remake was a fantastic showcase for a new console, as was Astrobot. I've loved playing through Day's Gone in all it's lovely 60FPS shonky story glory. I'm currently playing a souped up version of the mad and brilliant Death Stranding that also happen to make it probably the best looking game I've ever played. Even the two games I've not been mad on in Control and Ghosts of Tsushima have their fans. 

The PS5's had a bloody great first year for me. If you look at the PS2, 3, 4 launches, if you look at the Xbox One and Series launches, none of them hold a candle to the fun I've had with my PS5. That was obviously a completely dogshit 20 minutes with literally nothing of value in it but I still love the machine. 

Well that wasn't very good at all. 

That OFK game has a decent sounding premise but I find it hard to believe that trailer would have made anyone more interested in the game. 

Little Devil Inside has a great look but still no release date? 

7 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Returnal is leaps and bounds above anything the PS4 had before Bloodborne. It's by far the best thing I've played this year in what's been a pretty good year! It's brilliant. Deathloop's great. The Demon's remake was a fantastic showcase for a new console, as was Astrobot. I've loved playing through Day's Gone in all it's lovely 60FPS shonky story glory. I'm currently playing a souped up version of the mad and brilliant Death Stranding that also happen to make it probably the best looking game I've ever played. Even the two games I've not been mad on in Control and Ghosts of Tsushima have their fans. 

The PS5's had a bloody great first year for me. If you look at the PS2, 3, 4 launches, if you look at the Xbox One and Series launches, none of them hold a candle to the fun I've had with my PS5. That was obviously a completely dogshit 20 minutes with literally nothing of value in it but I still love the machine. 

And given we've had a global pandemic during the launches this time what all the console manufacturers have achieved is impressive.

26 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Yeah, I think saying the PS5 has had a bad first year is insane.

Returnal
Demon Souls

ratchet and clank

Deathloop

miles morales (on PS4 as well but see it as a ps5 launch game) 

Astros Playroom

I’ve probably missed a few, too.

It will be basically a year to the day that I get something worth owning my series x for since I bought it in the shape of FH5.