The Man Utd Thread

5R7

33 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Talking of Old Trafford, I can't be the only one who is worried that the Glazers are watching what Barcelona are doing with interest.  I wouldn't be surprised if they started selling off future TV rights, probably to fund the renovations to the stadium.

"Manchester United: Glazers could sell share of future TV income to fund Old Trafford expansion"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-glazers-could-sell-share-of-future-tv-income-to-fund-old-trafford-expansion-r8q2nbxpv

Here come the levers!!

10 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

"Manchester United: Glazers could sell share of future TV income to fund Old Trafford expansion"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-glazers-could-sell-share-of-future-tv-income-to-fund-old-trafford-expansion-r8q2nbxpv

Here come the levers!!

Would assume that’s overseas rights due to the package with the pl and sky. 

2 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Here come the levers!!

Holy shit you're kidding me.  That appeared a couple of hours before my post.  I posted without having seen it.  

That the Casemiro signing is the most sensible purchase in years, yet looks like a panic buy, speaks volumes of United’s recruitment in recent years. 

I think he’ll be a terrific buy. The world class DM that will help shield a confidence-shattered defence and give more creative freedom to the attacking players. Trying to sign Rabiot Rabiot Rabiot and ending up with Casemiro may well be a sign that things are on the up. 

(Note: I also proclaimed Ranieri would be a disaster at Leicester)

I mean, if eth can get Bruno to stop running around like a headless chicken.  A midfield 3 of erkisen,  casemiro and Bruno isn't bad!

On the other hand,  you would have thought when Everton signed Allan and James they would have had a great mid... So it could go that way too

On 19/08/2022 at 20:07, feltmonkey said:

I hope this frantic sticking plaster activity in the transfer window, once again too late and being carried out without a coherent plan, doesn't fool the fanbase into submission.  If the Glazers are genuinely considering selling up and getting out of the club, we need to keep the pressure on them and actually get rid of them this time.  The fact that their preferred buyer seems to be an American private equity firm worries me.  These people strip assests and destroy companies, and that would most likely be their plan with United.  The first thing they would do is sell Old Trafford and rent it back.  

Talking of Old Trafford, I can't be the only one who is worried that the Glazers are watching what Barcelona are doing with interest.  I wouldn't be surprised if they started selling off future TV rights, probably to fund the renovations to the stadium.

They're only upping the transfer budget so that they can keep grabbing dividends; had an agreement for Rabiot who's last good season was 2018, was also chasing Arnautovic the weekend; now after Antony, FDJ and Gakpo which would be an obvious improvement to the squad, but why so late :rolleyes:

The Glazers are parasites...

Here in peace before tomorrow night. Obviously no love lost for United, and hope we twat you (again) but don’t think it’ll be anything like as clear cut as last season’s games.

The pre-game protests and evening kick-off will spike the atmosphere, which in turn should draw a reaction from your players. If Liverpool start slow, as we did at Fulham, all the pent up frustration your crowd will have could easily be channeled into quite the din.

Hoping we come out flying to take the sting out the game, but intrigued to see Ten Hag’s approach. Palace did a good job on us after they weathered the first half hour last week, and think there will be similar counter-attacking opportunities for you as well. Wouldn’t be surprised at a score draw but we’ll see.

Really curious how this game will go, on espn one was saying Ten Hag needs to be pragmatic, just short term be tight to stop the losses so the confidence doesn't drop further, instead of the long term no we play out from the back eventually we'll get better idealism similar to Guardiola's first season. 

SO. Fresh rumblings that we're back in for Frankie. The Antony rumours are still circling and Gakpo rumours always seem less enthusiastic. What do we see happening?

I see FDJ as a 30% chance of signing

Antony at about the same due to Ajax unwilling to sell another player. They've lost what... 6 players this summer?

Gakpo? 60% of happening

We do still need De Jong, or someone similar.  I just don't think either Fred or McTominay would be starters for any team in the top half of the league.  We still need a right winger as we don't have one.  Gakpo is a left winger, so I don't understand what's going on there.  We need a right-back, but that will probably not happen.  Sergino Dest would appear to be the most likely in that area, as Barcelona need to sell.  A backup keeper who can play out from the back would be helpful.  

For De Jong to sign, I think something sizemic would have to happen.  He's playing for Barcelona now, and he started their last game.  I think he will stay there.  The one thing that might work in favour of him moving is that Barcelona have hilariously been unable to register Kounde.  It's a pretty funny situation if you aren't a Barca fan (or Kounde) but they still need to sell £20m worth of players or something.  Chelsea will probably help them out by buying Aubamayang.  I think it would be very funny if Auba rejects the move.

Antony I can see happening, with us massively overpaying.  The player wants to come, and he's missing training.  Don't expect him to solve our problems though, as he will find the Premier League to be a big step up from the Eredivisie.  He'll probably take a few months to get up to speed.  I don't really understand the thinking behind Gakpo.  We have Rashford, Martial, Elanga, and Garnacho who all play left wing.  Perhaps Elanga is considered a right winger now, and Martial a centre-forward, and he would be brought in to give Rashford some competition, which would be reasonable.

I think we will sign one or two players.  We're in an odd situation.  The board are rattled by the disatrous start to the season, so suddenly the transfer budget has leapt up.  Where has this money come from?  If it is stuff we can genuinely afford, then why wasn't it available from the start so that we weren't flailing around at the last minute AGAIN?  Is all this being done to placate the fans and save the Glazer's ownership of the club?  Almost certainly.  Will it work?  If the signings are made, quite possibly.  I hope not.  Frankly, I'd rather we missed out on all the transfer targets and the Glazers sell up than We sign all of them and the Glazers stay.

36 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Frankly, I'd rather we missed out on all the transfer targets and the Glazers sell up than We sign all of them and the Glazers stay.

100% yeah.

I'd take relegation if it got them gone honestly.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I don't really understand the thinking behind Gakpo.  We have Rashford, Martial, Elanga, and Garnacho who all play left wing.  Perhaps Elanga is considered a right winger now, and Martial a centre-forward, and he would be brought in to give Rashford some competition, which would be reasonable.

I've no idea how good Gakpo may or may not be but Rashford has been rubbish for at least the past year, Martial is more of a striker these days and has also been rubbish for at least the past year. Elanga in my opinion isn't really good enough to be a starter from what I've seen and Garnacho is a bit of an unknown. Reddit seems to think he can play anywhere in the front three although mostly on the LW. If we can get him for the rumoured 40-50 million euro then it looks like it could potentially be a decent bit of business.

Seems to me that the position which would have the biggest impact in recruiting in would be in getting a goalkeeper who can play out as Ten Hag wants.

3-4 of the 6 goals they've conceded have come from errors in trying to play out under pressure. Which is pretty telling.

It's such an integral part of how he wants the team to play. It was similar with Ederson signing for City and Alisson for Liverpool, they had a huge impact on those teams under Pep and Klopp going onto dominate, from a patchy, inconsistent year or two under the keepers they started with when they took over.

Even if the keeper isn't as good as De Gea at other things, it seems pretty key to me.

I really like Raya at Brentford, but there seems like quite a lot of options out there which seem attainable.

1 hour ago, fatbob said:

Seems to me that the position which would have the biggest impact in recruiting in would be in getting a goalkeeper who can play out as Ten Hag wants.

3-4 of the 6 goals they've conceded have come from errors in trying to play out under pressure. Which is pretty telling.

It's such an integral part of how he wants the team to play. It was similar with Ederson signing for City and Alisson for Liverpool, they had a huge impact on those teams under Pep and Klopp going onto dominate, from a patchy, inconsistent year or two under the keepers they started with when they took over.

Even if the keeper isn't as good as De Gea at other things, it seems pretty key to me.

I really like Raya at Brentford, but there seems like quite a lot of options out there which seem attainable.

There's this bloke at Nottingham Forest who looks alright......