IGNORED

The Man Utd Thread

5R7

At this point, I'd be happy to park the egos and go with more youth.

Obviously, there needs to be an experienced spine running through the team so maybe 3 or 4 such as de Gea, Eriksen and, erm, ah. I see the issue.

Fuck it! Sack 'em all and start again.

Various places reporting United have pulled out of the Arnautović deal due to the amount of fans writing in to complain about the man.... It should not have come to that! :facepalm:

Best bit of business United have done in about 10 years in not hiring this piece of human garbage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62481317

Yep, they've ended their interest, and fan reaction is cited as one of the reasons.  I wonder if the reaction against his alleged racism would have been as vehement if he had been a top-class player.  I wonder if they would have pulled out at all if Bologna hadn't jacked the price up. Anyway, it's the right decision. We don't want racists at the club. 

Yeah that was a pretty immediate example of what happens to fan reaction with "alleged" and a "top-class player". Previous history at the club maybe muddies the water a little.

25 minutes ago, Nicky said:

oh god... Knighton's back..

The fact that so many people seem to have taken Knighton's 'hostile bid' seriously is just mental.

He's basically one rung below David Icke in the nutjob stakes, and this is well known.  Youngsters on twitter seem to think he's the credible face of a realistic consortium 😂

Anybody know anything about this Cody Gakpo then??

I mean, i can only find youtube clips...and he doesn't look any better than say...garnacho!?

I mean, i know anybody can look good in a youtube clip, but, when he doesn't look better?

He was the Dutch Footballer of Year last season. 

Seems a good investment if they can get him for £35m as touted, given his age and profile.

He predominantly plays on the left, or has done at PSV anyway.

Dutch player, obviously, who is captain (or vice captain but is captain a lot due to the real captain not playing much I think?) of PSV at 23.

The early reports suggest a deal can be done at 35 million Euros which is probably worth a punt at this stage? :lol:

54 minutes ago, Nicky said:

The Mirror (YES I KNOW) are headlining "Frenkie de Jong's agent spotted in Barcelona after reaching Man Utd agreement"

They've done that sort of thing a lot.  Frenkie de Jong's agent being spotted in Barcelona is hardly news, and they're probably making up the bit about the Man Utd agreement.  The fact that the club have moved on to other targets (ununspiring, lacklustre targets) tells me that the De Jong deal is completely dead.  If you look at the budget we had, there isn't enough left to get Rabiot and De Jong, particularly if we're planning to bring a forward in as well.  Rabiot and someone like Gakpo (who I know basically nothing about) would take up the rest of the budget.  I really don't think there's much chance of that budget (which was pitifully small considering the extent of the rebuild required) being expanded, although the result at the weekend and the fan reaction to it might put some pressure on the leeches.  I think we will end up with Rabiot and Martin Braithwaite.  :lol:

I'm kind of relaxed anyway.  We're going to have a bad season, I'm resigned to that.  I will still to my guns in saying that as long as we see some progress, and some faith being put in the manager, I'm okay with that.  I'm more worried about how the board have undermined Ten Hag and that the fans are already turning on him than the defeat or even performance at the weekend.  

Having said that about backing the manager, I don't think he will succeed to the degree we hope he will, not through any fault of his own, but because success is impossible if the ones ultimately in charge are not interested in it.  The Glazers don't care about what happens on the pitch, just what happens with their bank balance.  They shouldn't be taking their fucking dividend every year after what they've done, but that is literally their only reason for having any involvement with the club, so of course they will continue to do so.  It can't be overstated - they do not particularly want a successful football club.  

2 hours ago, fatbob said:

He predominantly plays on the left, or has done at PSV anyway.

It would be pretty funny if after all this, with all the obvious areas of the squad that need improvement, we buy another left winger.  

52 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

If Chelsea come along and snap up FDJ in the next few days, I'm going to be royally pissed. 

I just can't... I mean... oh fuck it. 

Tbh I'd probably laugh my head off.

Then cry. I don't want this season to happen if there isn't going to be a midfield. Went into summer saying 'club must buy 3/4 midfielders' to focusing on one they can't get, then getting Eriksen who while class everyone associates him further up field. 

Chelsea is a much more attractive option in a lot of ways, I guess we'll see how much he values working under Ten Hag. United is a huge career gamble for a player of that level approaching their prime. 

The fact there's even a small chance that he may have signed for United is basically because of the weird unique circumstances.

I really don't think De Jong will leave, all reports say he loves the city, is settled, just bought a new house, the club treat him and all the players like enemies but every club treats players as disposable. At this point I'm with everyone on the 'end of glazers time, nothing good will happen until they sell the club'. I'm never really sure how the ones at the top treating the club one way should affect the team and staff at the bottom, but if they're unable to have any idea on signings then it's all compromised. 

Under Ole the transfers were deemed good at the time. There's the Sancho saga but generally there was more sense of knowing what they want, but this summer has been laughable. The problems and transitions Chelsea have had in the last few years, they still get deals done. Like with United with most signings, Lukaku for Chelsea was a mistake but they still got it done. 

I thought Rabiot was older really. Juventus fan Mina Rzouki is not a fan

Top comment basically 'he excels at changing clubs and disappointing fans'. Can't wait !

I love all the stuff about messing up 5 yard passes. 

There's a bit of punditry guessing about how Ten Hag took that loss, like 'I think now he truly understands the job he has on' and 'he was a bit passive wasn't he? In training he's not like that'. 

I wonder if they'll be big lineup changes, maybe it'll be more surprising if he sticks with Fred and McTominay. Like there was no need to vent because he's thinking 'they won't have the chance to let me down again'. 

Ten Hag was asked about how big the job is and he was like 'yeah, I knew that before'. I don't know why interviewers can't be more upfront, 'that midfield is garbage isn't it? What are you going to do Erik? Really, what?'