The Man Utd Thread

5R7

lol donny pointing

This is the kind of football i've wanted, overloading, simple passes, walking it into the net, interplay between Rashford, Martial, Sancho. But obviously i get that it worked because it was pretty much 4 on 2 running into space, their defence at 9 seconds isn't that bad though. Martial's touches have been great. I don't expect it to be this straightforward and easy when the league starts. The patterns of play and understanding is there though.

There was a break late on with i think Savage on the ball and he had options to his right and instead blind passed to his left but it didn't really penetrate and the advantage was lost, so not a given..

Martial could have fed Rashford with a ball in on goal there, his behind pass almost ruined it. The pace on Sancho's pass recovered it again. No goal if Martial mistimes his runs.

I've enjoyed watching these games, it's great to see the team organised and playing fluent, quick attacking football. Really looking forward to watching them this season.

I thought Malacia was excellent in the match today, really intelligent use of the ball, coming into midfield. Martial's goal resulted from a lovely link up between him and Dalot.

26 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Love it.  :lol:

There were initially rumours that he was shouting at Charlie Savage (you can just make out him shouting a name) but if you listen carefully it's unmistakably the Spanish pronunciation of David, which makes sense as it's just after De Gea lumped the ball forward. Ten Hag hates his goalkeepers and defenders lumping the ball clear.  Aside from the willingness to deliver a verbal kick up the arse, I absolutely love this commitment to a philosophy.

From the BBC Sport Gossip page:

Manchester United target Frenkie de Jong does not want to leave Barcelona - but if he does move on, the Netherlands midfielder, 25, would rather join Bayern Munich or Chelsea than the Red Devils.

I get that he's not saying he wants to leave because of the unpaid wages situation, but I don't get why something like that would be leaked unless he genuinely doesn't want to join United?! Feels to me like we just need to move on now, and try and sign Ruben Neves and Antony.

1 hour ago, Rockboy said:

I get that he's not saying he wants to leave because of the unpaid wages situation, but I don't get why something like that would be leaked unless he genuinely doesn't want to join United?! Feels to me like we just need to move on now, and try and sign Ruben Neves and Antony.

I don’t understand how transfers work, but don’t they ask the player or the player’s agent if they’d like to join the club? Do players even have a say in it or are they just seen as a commodity and sold to the highest bidder?

1 hour ago, Rockboy said:

From the BBC Sport Gossip page which is taking an article from Sport in Spain which is as reliable as The Sun. Not saying it's going to happen, but I'd have more faith it will do after seeing it's from there.

There's got to be someone else out there with similar attributes. I don't think it says much for Ten Hag's confidence in his coaching if he feels like he can't bring in a player who hasn't already been successful in his system. 

That's written in a harsh way, he obviously has full confidence in his coaching, maybe it's just purely about needing to get going as quickly as possible. But it's a pre season wasted without a key position and important player given the time to adapt. De Jong after the season starts is clearly seen as preferable to bringing in someone else early with a full pre season, but I guess they were too far in to back out. 

Maybe Eriksen and Van De Beek play deeper and it's not an issue. I'd like to see Eriksen start there next to Fred, Atletico or Sevilla, Van De Beek there against Villa.

Also when Timber said he wanted to stay at Ajax we were pretty quick to drop our interest in him, so I think it's safe to say there is more to the FDJ thing not wanting to come thing, even if he would prefer to stay in sunny Spain rather than come and live in Manchester.

I thought Atletico would be likely...brought in ageing striker in Suarez who was a success, spent big on Felix in the past (linked to City, if BSilva goes to Barcelona, maybe doable, probably too late now)

According to Spanish radio station Cope, Mendes has also met with Atletico’s CEO, Miguel Angel Gil Marin, to discuss the prospect of Ronaldo joining Diego Simeone’s side.

The report claims that Mendes has informed Atletico that Ronaldo would agree to sign ‘for a modest amount’ as his focus is to continue playing Champions League football.

Atletico, however, have rejected Mendes’ proposal as they are not in a financial position to sign Ronaldo from United.

Contradiction there. If I was Ten Hag I'd be upfront to Ronaldo and the United board and say 'he skipped pre season, he doesn’t want to be here, it was on him to lower his wage to land a move and he wasn't willing to do that so why should I be willing to force him into a side I've spent 6 weeks training to build up their partnerships?' but...I have more faith in Martial than most...Brighton and Brentford are nice fixtures to start with. If Martial drops off, Ronaldo can play. 

Let Sancho, Rashford, Martial link up and play where they're all equal without sticking in Ronaldo in there. 

I keep forgetting Ten Hag is Dutch, up front honesty is what they do. Contrary to what the media likes to spin, young players want to know exactly what the manager wants, they've gone through several of the most competitive brutal stages to only even reach the fringes of the starting 11.

Fred has been deployed as a holding midfielder in some of United's tune-up games, and the 29-year-old has earned rave reviews from both fans and his manager. In a press conference on Friday, Ten Hag hailed the impact that Fred has made as a "connecter" - a term he previously used to describe De Jong's role at Ajax.

Ten Hag said: "In the moment [Fred] is playing in the role as connecter, defending to offence. He is playing the role quite well. I am satisfied with his performance, with his improvement. I think he can even be better. I will support him in that. He also brings energy in the team by his attitude."

Ten Hag said: "We're looking for a player who can play in the holding midfield position, but it has to be the right one. There are not many in that position capable of the level we demand. When we can't find him, we have to deal with the players in our squad now and we will develop one in that position. We need the right player. We have a list and we will strike the moment the player is available."

Agreed yeah!

Like, Ronaldo should want to leave, no part of his personal career goals line up with where United are right now.

It's totally fine for him to want to leave, but to leave it 'till mid summer break then basically decide to not go to work just before the tour really puts Ten Hag in a tough place.

I never thought we'd be using Martial as a yardstick for attitude by comparison! 😁

If he doesn't get his move, he's just going to eat the shit sandwich I guess.

Lisandro Martinez's favourite chat up line:

“We Argentines do everything with passion – and when I go out on the pitch I fight for every ball. When I step onto the pitch, I think back on the times I couldn’t even buy shoes. This is why we are so combative. Argentinians kill to win. If I have to step over dead bodies, I do it.”

On 21/07/2022 at 09:55, Rockboy said:

It's being leaked by Barcelona.  It is an attempt to get us to panic and increase the bid by £17 to effectively pay De Jong the money they owe him, or to try to tempt other clubs in.  Who knows what Barcelona are trying to do at this point.  This kind of stuff isn't really a threat to the transfer as long as we keep shrugging and going, "So what?"  The levers Barcelona have activated are more of a threat, as I think they mean that they will be able to register players without selling De Jong.  However, even with that, they would rather not have De Jong on their books next season as of course his wages jump up.  That in itself is a good reason why De Jong might decide to stay, even if he sits on the bench with both middle fingers pointing skyward.  I can see him staying, but I still think a move to United is the more likely scenario.  That's why we aren't going to walk away - it would be the wrong thing to do at this point, as every passing day puts more pressure on Barcelona.  Isn't there a deadline at the end of this month where Barcelona have to prove that their finances have improved in order to register players?

If he does stay at Barcelona, I wonder if we've got a second choice lined-up that we're keeping quiet as part of the manouvering over this deal.  I don't have any faith in our club leadership to pull that off.  Perhaps Savage and Zidane are seen as the solution, or possibly Garner or Hannibal.  That's four decent players coming through in that position, and Ten Hag may well back himself to coach one or two of them into first-team players.  If so, I don't know whether I love the confidence, or fear that he's in for a rude awakening as to exactly what playing in the Premier League entails.

Personally, I have no expectations for next season in terms of results, so I'm not worried even if we don't sign anyone else.  We're miles off competing, so a season where we finish fifth or sixth (or seventh or eighth) but our forwards start to click, the team understands what the coach wants them to do a bit more, and maybe one or two youngsters establish themselves wouldn't be a huge problem for me as long as the club keep the faith with the manager.  Who knows, a season for Barcelona having to pay De Jong's increased wages and they may be begging us to take him on a cut-price fee in twelve months.  

This is playing out like a Rangnick second half collapse. Villa are shit to play against, 8 players behind the ball, no desire to play, odd chances on the break in which they get lucky (no it was a good finish whatever). Was typing that as United nearly scored again though. And tbf, Villa come alive in the second half which might be just their plan. 

Martial has been so peripheral I went looking for him at the end of the first half because I wasn't sure he was playing. 

Not an impressive performance I don't think, looking for more than the familiar Shaw run on to a Rashford pass dink into the box that for United in 100 games might come off twice. Van De Beek also invisible. 

ha a whole United team waiting to come on.

I think the conditions aren't helping. The ridiculous patchwork pitch, with rectangles of green within a sea of mud.  If you play a pre-season game on this, you're just hoping to get through it without any injuries.  Sancho looking lively is a bonus. I also think Luke Shaw overlapping, and his understanding with Rashford will be a weapon for us this season as Ten Hag is coaching much more specific final third movement, which we haven't had in years, and Shaw will know where to deliver it without looking up.

The goal we conceded was a bit of an example of Lindelof's flaws. He was so indecisive, backing off, and then being too easily shifted out of the way by Bailey. If you look at the position he ends up as Bailey takes the shot, what is he actually doing? He's not even between the ball and the goal, he's moved off to the side, and he's not close enough. There's nothing wrong with backing up in order to hold the attacker off for a few extra seconds, but what Lindelof did was just let him do whatever he wanted without really impeding him in any way.

I keep seeing stories that de jong has go no intention of coming to United, but if he was to leave Barca, the only place he’d consider would be Chelsea.

I always wonder how much truth is in these kind of stories. I mean, who are the journalists who are friendly enough with him for him to open up like that? Surely they can’t just print made up bullshit, can they?