The Man Utd Thread

5R7

I think he will give Bruno competition at the very least. Bruno was awful for the last 3 months but we had no else to play in the CAM role. 

Eriksen can play as an AM, in the centre and on the right. I’m guessing he’s best in the AM role but if it means we don’t have to rely on Bruno every match even when he’s clearly needing a rest then this transfer gets two spork thumbs up!

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Yeah just saw that and came in to say. You're always 5 minutes in front of me. :hmm: still i have a picture

You need to up your procrastination game! 😗

Still no signings and still no Ronaldo at training. To be honest, I don’t blame him. This club is an absolute shambles.

We’ve basically got two signings completed pending medicals. Barcelona are still pushing FDJ out after having just leaked his salary stuff to apparently make him look like the bad guy or somethingorother and by all reports we’re aiming to get Martinez done before we go on our pre season tour this Friday.

Doubt we’ll be getting Anthony or whoever else we might be looking at until Ronaldo is gone.

You would hope so, at some point they need to balance this out...!

In

None

Out

Paul Pogba - released

Juan Mata - released

Jesse Lingard - released

Nemanja Matic - Roma, free

Edinson Cavani - released

Lee Grant - released

D'Mani Mellor - released

Reece Devine - released

Paul McShane - released

Connor Stanley - released

Paul Woolston - released

Dean Henderson - Nottingham Forest, loan

Edit: Brentford, Leicester and Chelsea are the only other Prem teams not to have signed anyone yet.

8 hours ago, Rockboy said:

You would hope so, at some point they need to balance this out...!

In

Tyrell Malacia - Feyenoord, £14.7m

Out

Paul Pogba - released

Juan Mata - released

Jesse Lingard - released

Nemanja Matic - Roma, free

Edinson Cavani - released

Lee Grant - released

D'Mani Mellor - released

Reece Devine - released

Paul McShane - released

Connor Stanley - released

Paul Woolston - released

Dean Henderson - Nottingham Forest, loan

Edit: Brentford, Leicester and Chelsea are the only other Prem teams not to have signed anyone yet.

Updated!

2 hours ago, spork said:

This makes our net spend almost 0! 😎

Good luck to him, I hope he does well.  I can't believe we got £10m for him though.  Fulham must really value their pre-season friendly results very highly.

United against Liverpool next Tuesday then. I'm so bored of this pre season. Always too early to gauge real differences even by gameweek 5 really, so not expecting anything revelatory in pre season games, still though don't want my fascination on how Ten Hag will get them playing betrayed by largely the same shit. I want to see at least 20% higher energy and dynamism in movement. Rashford has dropped 3m on fantasy football and I hope that stings as much as fifa ratings do. He's priced less than in his second season after his goals on his debut and the few games after. 

For him and Martial, fail to perform this season and it's mid table premier league clubs for the rest of their career I think. Which isn't bad but they give the impression United disappoints them and bigger clubs are waiting. They'd be lucky to get AC Milan or Roma maybe. 

That list is surprising and revealing in how cheap players are sold on for, the good being it means anyone performing highly isn't poached because United is big enough for players, the bad being they all dropped in value while at United...or ran their contracts down. Other teams do well out of United, like Madrid for Van Nistelrooy, West Brom for Evans, Lazio for Stam, Dortmund for Kagawa, Sociedad for Januzaj, Leverkusen for Hernandez, Fulham for Berbatov, Van Persie, Nani, Zaha, all those prices are so low. You could take an entire team of United legends pretty much and all together were sold for less than Pogba was bought for. yeah I know they were 28+ and fell out with Ferguson

This De Jong transfer is going to drag on, isn't it?  I mean, it's already dragged on a ridiculous amount, but I can see it going until deadline day.  I don't actually blame our people on this one - from what I can tell, Barcelona are being dicks about it. The reason they want to sell is because De Jong deferred part of his salary during the pandemic, and they owe him millions of Euros.  So they either want to sell him or force him to give up that money and reduce his future salary. Understandably De Jong is not willing to do that.

That's why they leaked his salary details and are now saying he's not for sale.  I suspect that this might be a big reason why De Jong's own stance seems to have shifted from wanting to stay at Barcelona to being happy to join United.  De Jong wants to be compensated for the money he deferred to help the club, which is again not unreasonable.  He's seeing them chasing Lewandowski while trying to wriggle out of paying him what they owe him.  Leave aside the aspect of it being top-level sport, and it's really shady behaviour from an employer.

11 hours ago, fatbob said:

Some places saying there's a 20% sell on too. 😗

This is incredible business for United. It wouldn't be for any other club, but for United!

By my reckoning, this is their 15th highest sale of all time.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/rekordabgaenge/verein/985

City have just got £10.5m for Romeo Lavia who has the sun total of two professional matches, both in the cups last season. How do the other teams continue to pull in huge fees for these guys?

14 hours ago, ckny said:

City have just got £10.5m for Romeo Lavia who has the sun total of two professional matches, both in the cups last season. How do the other teams continue to pull in huge fees for these guys?

Basic competence, I expect. 

I read that if De Jong is to leave, he'd prefer United. With Ten Hag there it's probably just about believable. Also read though that Tuchel isn't interested in Ronaldo. I don't think he's leaving if that's true, I did see Chelsea as the most likely destination.

Also Barcelona are selling because they need the money so I’m not sure a player swap is what they are after. Probably more likely to be rumours to get us to up our offer.

I can't see the Chelsea link coming to anything.  It's probably coming from Barcelona in a desperate attempt to force us to pay the 17m Euros they owe De Jong.  

It's such a twisted-up situation.  De Jong would rather stay at Barcelona, although he seems to recognise that they are trying to screw him.  If he stays his salary suddenly jumps massively as the defered salary kicks in.  Barcelona don't want this to happen as they simply cannot afford it.  They need him to leave.  If he does leave, there is a chance that technically they would not owe him the money - it depends on the specific terms of his redrawn contract.  I'm using the word "deferred" but that might not be the correct term.  Either he agreed to not take some of his salary in exchange for it being paid later, or the contract was redrawn so that for the forst two years he would be paid X amount and then for the two after that Y amount, with Y amount being a lot more.  The other option Barcelona would be okay with is De Jong stays and his contract is renegotiated again, and he takes a pay cut.  There is no reason for De Jong to do this, and frankly fuck Barcelona for even thinking it would be an option.

Basically, Barcelona are in a very tricky position.  They need the transfer to go through, as otherwise De Jong will stay and effectively bleed them dry (simply by being paid what he is owed, of course.)  However, De Jong is refusing to leave unless they pay him what he believes they owe him.  They want someone else to pay De Jong the money.  If we sit tight, they may have no option but to eventually agree to pay him to leave, effectively.  That seems to be what United think, at least.  There's a lot that could happen though.  Chelsea or someone else could come in and gazump the transfer by agreeing to pay the 17m.  De Jong could accept a compromise contract at Barcelona, if that bridge isn't already burned (and if it was me it would be.)  We might decide to walk away because it's too complicated and we need to work on a back-up deal before the window closes.  We might let Barca stew and come back in for him in January, which would mean playing half the season with no midfield.  This is United though, so that could definitely happen.  I hope the transfer goes through because it would be sad to see De Jong in a Bale at Madrid situation, frozen out on huge wages as they try to force him to leave.  

The most likely scenario for me is a deadline day deal with some kind of compromise between De Jong and Barcelona.  I'd quite like to see the Glazers themselves pay the fucking 17m which is a drop in the ocean compared to what they have stolen from the club.  They could then sue Barcelona to get it back if they like.

Yeah I've been following it as well and it is interesting how messed up Barcelona are tbh and how they treat their players. They owe Pique a lot as well don't they. But at the same time I'd rather United could just buy players without it being a big deal. City seem to buy players without any fuss whatsoever, even Haaland, just gets done suddenly. Obviously a lot of work we don't see..

It's not good De Jong doesn't want to leave when United buy players who quickly look like they don't want to be at the club and don't look committed. 

It's not often mentioned but there was news after De Jong signed for Barcelona that Nike agreed to pay a big part of his wages there so he'd not join Psg or City.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3807304/de-jong-chose-barcelona-over-psg-after-nike-agreed-to-subsidise-wages-sources%3fplatform=amp

Never heard of a company doing that.