IGNORED

The Man Utd Thread

5R7

Manchester United in talks with Ernesto Valverde over interim manager’s job

Manchester United have spoken to Ernesto Valverde regarding becoming their interim manager. The 57-year-old was Barcelona’s manager from May 2017 until January 2020, winning La Liga twice and a Copa del Rey, and is out of work.

It is understood Valverde has discussed with John Murtough, United’s football director, taking over on a temporary basis, with the club conscious that having worked with Lionel Messi at Barcelona he would be at ease managing Cristiano Ronaldo. Valverde has started sounding out potential players he could add to strengthen the squad should he be appointed.

jon-stewart-oh-for-fucks-sake.gif.7017b3062f720ce9212c87996f6f25af.gif

A fucking boring manager. 

Reddit thread from June asking Barcelona fans 'what are your thoughts on Valverde?' the replies contained: 

I think too much credit was given (and still is being given) to Valverde. Boring tactics and playing  like a small club are definitely not quality attributes. Yes results were obtained but I really don’t think it was because of the manager.

Exactly. Not to mention the lack of intensity in training, lack of balls to bench underperforming players, lack of charisma and ability to motivate the players as shown in the defeats to Liverpool and Roma

Developed a system good enough to win domestic titles but always came up short in the CL. A lot of Messi dependence. And he would not change his tactics, even during games. A change was needed if we had higher aspirations than La Liga

I don't think we can really judge his years in Barca due to him having to work with the most incompetent board we ever had.but yes his style was boring and he did rely on Messi heavily and honestly I always felt like he didn't have the charisma to control the dressing room the way he wanted,but overall he did his best and if Roma and Liverpool hadn't happen I have a feeling most fans would remember him as not a great but good manager

His reign makes me think of the most boring football ive ever seen

:hmm: sounds great, can't wait. 

bring back Ole. 

20 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

jon-stewart-oh-for-fucks-sake.gif.7017b3062f720ce9212c87996f6f25af.gif

A fucking boring manager. 

Reddit thread from June asking Barcelona fans 'what are your thoughts on Valverde?' the replies contained: 

:hmm: sounds great, can't wait. 

bring back Ole. 

At least it isn’t Blanc.

Hello friends, here we are for another evening of torture. Gluttons for punishment, we are.

That's a pretty weak line-up.  Of course Donny deserves to keep his place after the weekend, and I can see the wisdom in resting Bruno and Shaw, but why would the management expect anything different from Maguire and Martial that what we've seen recently?  Why is it that one mistake from Bailly is considered enough to bench him forever again, but a dozen much worse mistakes from Maguire are disregarded?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm adopting the braced position.

4 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Hello friends, here we are for another evening of torture. Gluttons for punishment, we are.

That's a pretty weak line-up.  Of course Donny deserves to keep his place after the weekend, and I can see the wisdom in resting Bruno and Shaw, but why would the management expect anything different from Maguire and Martial that what we've seen recently?  Why is it that one mistake from Bailly is considered enough to bench him forever again, but a dozen much worse mistakes from Maguire are disregarded?

Fuck that, I've got a free ticket to watch Ipswich, so I'm going to the match instead 😛

16 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

That's one of the things that annoys me whenever a fringe player gets their chance and isn't spectacular in his 2nd or 3rd game. Once you're proven you're allowed rubbish performances but the nature of playing a lot and getting those minutes affords them more time to make it right, if you're an attacking player and assist/score, not if you're a defender like Maguire who appears to have cast a long convincing spell on his managers. 

I have no mobile credit to waste on streaming this, or even the min by min updates really, I'm probably going to watch Venom 2 or that film about princess Diana. And my evening will still probably be better.

3 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

That's one of the things that annoys me whenever a fringe player gets their chance and isn't spectacular in his 2nd or 3rd game. Once you're proven you're allowed rubbish performances but the nature of playing a lot and getting those minutes affords them more time to make it right, if you're an attacking player and assist/score, not if you're a defender like Maguire who appears to have cast a long convincing spell on his managers. 

Especially when you consider that Bailly had played superbly against Atalanta the game before.  Then he scores an own goal and that's for some reason an unforgivable sin. OGs can happen when you play at the back, it's just one of those things.  Meanwhile Maguire put in two of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Man Utd player against Leicester and Watford.

I'm not anti-Maguire, he's a good player and in form he should be in the starting lineup, but this season he hasn't come back from the Euros and he's a complete liability. With him at the moment it's like playing with ten players. Against twelve.

Just now, 5R7 said:

Ive jsut got in, started a new job that finishes at 6 (eurgh) and dint realise this started at 5.45! whats happened so far...im guessing not a lot?

70% Villarreal possession. They've missed three or four good chances. We haven't had the ball in their penalty area yet.  

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

70% Villarreal possession. They've missed three or four good chances. We haven't had the ball in their penalty area yet.  

so...exactly what we expected in a "more of the same way"  from letting carrick take over then...aces!