IGNORED

The Man Utd Thread

5R7

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Narrator: It did.

Woodward won't sack Ole as his last act before standing down at the end of the year.  For that matter, the new Chief Executive won't want to sack him as soon as he takes over.

Man, I know, but the away fans loudly boo’d Ole specifically there at the end. That’s not good PR, regardless. If nothing else makes this happen, maybe that will.

I suppose it could happen. Perhaps in a couple of weeks time we'll have Frank Lampard installed as manager and be ready to go again.

We’ll grab Rogers from Leicester. Problem is timing.

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

So rather than fall short by Christmas you'll just fail in the last couple of games of the season.

I’m not saying it’s what I want to happen. Just what I think will happen. Won’t happen until Summer anyway.

20 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

We’ll grab Rogers from Leicester. Problem is timing.

I don't think Rodgers would be the right choice to turn this around. The problem is that his system absolutely relies on a hard-working nuisance forward to harass defenders. Cavani could do this (when he's fit) but would Ronaldo be moved out to the wing?  Ronaldo has been by far our best player this season - would Rodgers leave him out? 

I don't think you can turn this squad into a pressing team. It's a mystery why Ole hasn't stuck to the counter-attacking style that served him so well in the past. We used to get players behind the ball, worked hard to win it back in our own half, and had a number of players who were devastating on the counter - Pogba hitting forward passes, Rashford sprinting through, Bruno joining late to finish the counter. We've added Sancho, who was excellent for Dortmund playing this style. Ronaldo is still brilliant at this - didn't he score a fantastic counter-attacking goal in the Euros?  What kind of football are we even trying to play now?

I don't think Rodgers would be the right choice to turn this around. The problem is that his system absolutely relies on a hard-working nuisance forward to harass defenders. Cavani could do this (when he's fit) but would Ronaldo be moved out to the wing?  Ronaldo has been by far our best player this season - would Rodgers leave him out? 

I don't think you can turn this squad into a pressing team. It's a mystery why Ole hasn't stuck to the counter-attacking style that served him so well in the past. We used to get players behind the ball, worked hard to win it back in our own half, and had a number of players who were devastating on the counter - Pogba hitting forward passes, Rashford sprinting through, Bruno joining late to finish the counter. We've added Sancho, who was excellent for Dortmund playing this style. Ronaldo is still brilliant at this - didn't he score a fantastic counter-attacking goal in the Euros?  What kind of football are we even trying to play now?

To be clear, I’m not saying I want Rogers. Just that I think it’s what we’ll get. And not anytime soon. I totally agree with you re: counter attacking.

Yeah, although having said that, I'd prefer Rodgers to Zidane. Zidane has a remarkable trophies to games ratio, but he's not really an elite coach as far as anyone could tell. He just had an amazing collection of players and a knack of winning cup-ties. Poch would be the number one choice, but we'd need some more full-backs.

This is just sad. Ole is one of my all-time favourite United players.  :(

Well perhaps one option could be - hear me out here - if Ole does get sacked, we could get a former player, a club legend, in as caretaker-manager until the end of the season. It wouldn't have to be anyone particularly experienced or anything, just someone temporary.

Even as a Liverpool fan, it's tough seeing Ole going through what's he's going through. Whilst I don't think he's been good enough at any point - and jokes about keeping him there because it's funny for everybody else in the league aside - he's always handled things with a certain level of class and I genuinely feel a bit sorry for him.

9 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Even as a Liverpool fan, it's tough seeing Ole going through what's he's going through. Whilst I don't think he's been good enough at any point - and jokes about keeping him there because it's funny for everybody else in the league aside - he's always handled things with a certain level of class and I genuinely feel a bit sorry for him.

Tbf, we in here, well most of us, have always said, we wanted it to work! ....it just...hasn't...and sometimes, its best to get out of that relationship, get some distance, and find somebody who really understands you...

I don't even think it's fair to say that it "hasn't worked" under Ole.  He has massively improved us from the eras of Moyes, Van Gaal, and Mourinho.  Until this year, each season under him has been an improvement over the last. We've played some fantastic football and signed some excellent players.  The lack of trophies and the occasional dips into terrible runs of form have been the negatives during his tenure.  

It's more accurate to say that it has stopped working. 

I don't know if anyone else could have done much more, considering the fact that he's been hamstrung by the priorities of the people above him at the club.  Seriously, what manager in the entire history of football has managed to get to the top with owners who don't care about success on the field?  

I don't even think it's fair to say that it "hasn't worked" under Ole.  He has massively improved us from the eras of Moyes, Van Gaal, and Mourinho.  Until this year, each season under him has been an improvement over the last. We've played some fantastic football and signed some excellent players.  The lack of trophies and the occasional dips into terrible runs of form have been the negatives during his tenure.  

It's more accurate to say that it has stopped working. 

I don't know if anyone else could have done much more, considering the fact that he's been hamstrung by the priorities of the people above him at the club.  Seriously, what manager in the entire history of football has managed to get to the top with owners who don't care about success on the field?  

Surely Arsenal have pioneered that approach for about 15 years?

And yes, perhaps I was being unfair to Ole in my summary, but he's your manager, not mine so I'm happy to misrepresent him ;)

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

....... What kind of football are we even trying to play now?

Shit, absolute shit football, I am just so sad.

I was having a shit day anyway, and that match just made it worse, not even Fleabag is raising a laugh after that dismall display :(

18 minutes ago, spork said:

:lol:

Sack him, or come out and say you're not sacking him, but ffs, give the man his bloody dignity, after that shambolic state of a game, he will be feeling miserable, at least let him know what his plans are for the rest of the weekend :(

4 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

According to the away end, that's not how it was. They sang TRF to Ole, and a few booed at Bruno's trying to show it was on the team, which I guess would have annoyed most as sleight of hand goes.

Bruno shakes his finger to tell the crowd to stop booing Ole before signing that it was the players they should blame. Unless the crowd starting booing because Bruno started to shake his finger at them for some reason?

🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Well perhaps one option could be - hear me out here - if Ole does get sacked, we could get a former player, a club legend, in as caretaker-manager until the end of the season. It wouldn't have to be anyone particularly experienced or anything, just someone temporary.

A club legend you say?

NINTCHDBPICT000001576239.jpg