IGNORED

The Man Utd Thread

5R7

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Well played Arsenal, they were the better team on the day. Gutted that we couldn't hold on for a point, but considering we didn't have Casemiro I thought the team really battled well.

Yeah. They played better second half, we let too much pressure be applied. Still, we’re a different team compared to previous seasons and it’s encouraging.

We're still in a strong position for top four. Think about a year ago when we couldn't compete, everyone was depressed, Rangnick was using the job as some kind of bizarre exercise in self-promotion as a plain speaker despite having no clue what he was doing, Rashford had one foot out the door, Shaw, Martial, and De Gea looked finished, Bruno looked constantly on the verge of tears...

Even though we lost this one, it's still so much better. We have a plan, the players are energised and able to step up in the big matches, everyone looks able to be the players we thought they were, and we're going in the right direction. They had loads of pressure but beat us with a fairly lucky goal, a mishit shot that fell straight to their best finisher, with two marginal offsides that were inches from going in our favour. We wouldn't have been in the position last season, unless Ronny had happened to come up with something on his own. Bruno still looks on the verge of tears, but everything else has changed.

That was such an enjoyable heart-racing match. So great to see Man U competing and excelling in all areas of the field. Pretty sure that's the best Rashford goal I've ever seen. Arsenal were utterly relentless at the end, just phenomenal. Opposition really doesn't get much better than that, they're probably going to win the league, and the fact a draw away from home against the best team in the country was snatched from us in the dying seconds is testament to what a solid outfit we've become. Literally the only player that was subpar was McTominay (he wasn't match fit and how could he be). If Casemiro had played, I fully expect we'd have held on or even won. This is all dreamland stuff. We're toe to toe with the best, and not even with our first eleven. On this form we're going to win the carabo cup and get into Europe. Ten out of Ten Hag.

Bit of a rollercoaster week!

4pts from 9 feels like par, but being about 2 minutes of game time away from 7pts from 9 was disappointing in the end!

Echoing some other thoughts in here:

Great shot at top 4 now and still in 3 cups. The team is playing pretty well, it's nice to see so much progress.

This is the first time since the end of the Fergie/Gill era that i've thought they've hired the right manager, and would worry if they left!

The squad is thin on quality though, ETH has a solid 12-13 he can count on, but beyond that the levels really drop, especially in midfield. I think Casemiro and Eriksen are going to be playing pretty much every game which isn't ideal.

It'd be churlish to complain about an offside (which to me never looked it at the time anyway) a week after gaining from that decision in the derby. 

It's better to aim for the title to better secure fourth than sit 5th for 2 months as you wish for a row of 4 consecutive wins then lose when Chelsea lose, as happened that time. 

I can only hope United have a similar type of collective energy as Arsenal currently do 2/3 seasons into Ten Hag's time here. It's that enthusiasm I love to see, win, draw or lose yesterday no Arsenal fan in the stadium watching that could doubt Arsenal were giving it their all, just swamping us like they had an extra player. United were still impressive I thought in getting out from the pressure passing from the back. The spirit isn't that far off Arsenal's, just the collective energy they have with the momentum of being top of the league, it seems so substantial to me because I've found watching Arsenal the last 3 years to be a chore. 

Even though we lost I was content that we now have a team that can compete with the best and not far off being title contenders. Arsenal were the better team but with Casemiro things may have gone our way. But we didn't have him and still came close.

Would be ecstatic with a top four and one of the cups (preferably FA) but will be happy as long as we make top four.

Nice to enjoy watching us play instead of the frustrating shit I'd got used to seeing.

pretty strong lineup

1 D De Gea

29 A Wan-Bissaka 2 V Lindelöf 6 L Martínez 12 T Malacia

18 Casemiro 14 C Eriksen

21 A dos Santos 8 B Fernandes (c) 10 M Rashford

27 W Weghorst

Substitutes

17 Fred 19 R Varane 22 T Heaton 28 F Pellistri 33 B Williams 36 A Elanga 39 S McTominay 49 A Garnacho Ferreyra 73 K Mainoo

26 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

How have we spent so much money to end up with such a weak bench? Having said that, it's nice to see Brandon Williams back.

we are missing a few players with injury, dalot, maguire, sancho, martial. If they were there it makes the bench look better at least!

Shows the confidence Rashford is in that a run like that trying to cut between the two players the ball can bounce for him and he can side foot the ball with his weaker foot at the near post barely far away from the keeper and even at a good height and can just easily score like it's nothing. He's playing like everything is going for him because...it is.

It feels inevitable United are going to either win or nearly win, however much the opposition dominate or how many chances they create. There's almost no tension. It's weird. The same with the Arsenal game, Arsenal had to scrap til the very end to win in a game they really dominated. The Rashford goal was a surprise but United getting another goal, nearly drawing or if they won it wouldn't have been a surprise, even if it was against a side leading the table at their ground. United are on an upward trajectory of winning despite not playing well which i guess if this was under Solskjaer i'd be critical but under Ten Hag the whole season has been about discipline and standards and a winning mentality rather than free flowing expansive football which i expected and hoped for. Maybe because it's less all over the place and i hope the great football will come eventually. It always feels like big chunks of minutes go by without United creating anything, like minute 15 to 45. Then it ends 3 nil and you wonder how it happened.