The Man Utd Thread

5R7

Oh well, we were always going to lose this one anyway. Obviously the manner of the defeat is catastrophic, but hopefully Ten Hag will learn a bit more about what playing at this level is about, and realise that sometimes you have to sacrifice your own game to contain your opponent. We should have started with an extra defensive midfielder and looked to stay in the game and play on the break.

7 hours ago, sith said:

Sorry lads, but ETH shit the bed today. Not starting Casemiro over Bruno or Eriksen is just outrageous. 75m on the best CDM and we leave him on the bench against KDB and co. Also, why is Eriksen marking Haaland on corners???

Amateur hour yet again. 

I can't see how it would have made much difference tbh. We'd still have lost and just offered less going forwards. I really doubt we could have held them off for 90 minutes even if we played 10-0-0.

Our midfield has been really good the past few league games and Casemiro hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in his cameos so far. Sure, in hindsight changing things up might have been the way to go but I can see why we started with the same midfield. 

I think after today we’ll probably see a bit of a change up with the midfield.

8 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Oh well, we were always going to lose this one anyway. Obviously the manner of the defeat is catastrophic, but hopefully Ten Hag will learn a bit more about what playing at this level is about, and realise that sometimes you have to sacrifice your own game to contain your opponent. We should have started with an extra defensive midfielder and looked to stay in the game and play on the break.

(Just saw the motd highlights)

I thought they'd counter too, not watching live you can't get the best sense of things especially when highlights just show city attacking but if it worked vs Liverpool and Arsenal, I don't know why you wouldn't do the same again, especially as it's worked for Ole against City in the past and it's the best way of using Rashford. Jenas is about to go through his points but it just seemed like City were afforded a stupid amount of space. I don't think their movement was that unbelievably good, Foden doesn't have to try to get his third, everyone oblivious to him, Haaland isn't really a prolific shooter from afar. 

Great goal by Anthony, the power and accuracy and not afraid to try that. And I love top corner penalties by players too. Martial seems up for it so that's a positive. 

Hard to predict the next games now, I thought some defensive tightness and commitment came back into the team. 

The positive is for the league, City seem more vulnerableat the back than last season. Another 3 goals conceded in a game to add to Newcastle doing it, Palace got 2. 

So I've just been looking at the Omonia's route to the Europa League (under Neil Lennon!)

They finished 7th out of 12 in the Cypriot league last season. The league splits in two like Scotland so Omonia were in the relegation group. They then won that group and somehow qualified for the Europa League! The teams who finished 5th and 6th got nothing, and 3rd and 4th got Conference League! Someone explain how that works to me.

1 hour ago, ckny said:

So I've just been looking at the Omonia's route to the Europa League (under Neil Lennon!)

They finished 7th out of 12 in the Cypriot league last season. The league splits in two like Scotland so Omonia were in the relegation group. They then won that group and somehow qualified for the Europa League! The teams who finished 5th and 6th got nothing, and 3rd and 4th got Conference League! Someone explain how that works to me.

So we're not only losing to a Cypriot team, we're losing to a rubbish Cypriot team?

Rashford was fantastic. He was the only one who looked like he was playing against a middling Cypriot team. 

Ronaldo has had better evenings. He wasn't bad overall, but if he stayed out there still playing after the final whistle, as everyone else has got changed and gone home, I still don't think he'd score the way things went for him tonight. This just goes to show the dangers of associating with Jordan Peterson.

1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

Rashford was fantastic. He was the only one who looked like he was playing against a middling Cypriot team. 

Ronaldo has had better evenings. He wasn't bad overall, but if he stayed out there still playing after the final whistle, as everyone else has got changed and gone home, I still don't think he'd score the way things went for him tonight. This just goes to show the dangers of associating with Jordan Peterson.

I’m convinced Pogba got his curse man on Ronaldo.

We've not done our homework though. This Everton midfield is in great form, full of energy in the press and springing forward. We're playing a bit too many risky balls through them and getting picked off. I know that's how Ten Hag wants us to play, but we're playing into their hands.

I like how we're playing at the moment though. Some shit-hot football happening. :)