IGNORED

The Man Utd Thread

5R7

sounds like varane out again, so thats another 5-nill drubbing at the weekend then!

was he this injury prone at madrid?

between him, baily and jones, they might play enough games for 1  defender!

should have kept axel!

Bailly was incredible against Atalanta, so maybe he can continue that form.  How long is Lindelof out for?  We might have to play Shaw as a left centre back if we're still going with three centre backs.  Lets be honest, the reason we've needed to do that is Maguire's abject form.  I'd feel okay with Verane and either Lindelof or Bailly as a two, but Maguire needs help at the moment.  He's alway been better in a three anyway.  To be clear I still think he's a good player, but everyone goes through highs and lows in form, and right now he's in a huge low.  

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Lets be honest, the reason we've needed to do that is Maguire's abject form. 

It was necessary to best accommodate Ronaldo. That Maguire's form has gone down the drain makes no odds.

The annoying thing in all this is that Tuanzebe fits this system like a glove but isn't available to exploit it.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

It was necessary to best accommodate Ronaldo. That Maguire's form has gone down the drain makes no odds.

The annoying thing in all this is that Tuanzebe fits this system like a glove but isn't available to exploit it.

Can he not be recalled? :(

Jonathan Wilson, in a twist on his regular 'Ole isn't up to it' angle in an article, thinks 'Grealish and Sancho could be thriving if each were at the other’s club':

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/05/grealish-and-sancho-could-be-thriving-if-each-were-at-the-others-club

Sancho's arrival has been the most anticlimatic ever, easy to forget he's here. After the 18 month transfer drama and many fans repeatedly yelling how much the team needs a right winger...now we're with 3 at the back and there doesn't seem a place for him. 

Think of how many players make big money moves and score a goal early on and the commentator goes 'that's what quality you get for £50m!' which always annoys me. Di Maria scored a wonder goal early on, Martial did. Even Siggurdson at Everton did, that improbable falling chip over the keeper from the half line. Rooney's hat trick. They all have their special moment early on, whether the special feeling fizzles out or not.

I did want Grealish last season, someone that comfortable on the ball. Eventually he'll perform as B Silva does in the City side I guess. Neither have pace. Sancho replacing Sane...yeah. But Sterling can't get in the team either, Guardiola has changed from two rapid direct dribbling wingers into having Foden and Cancelo. 

Maybe the 3 at the back for United is temporary (although the team is so leaky I doubt it). United chased Sancho for ages, where did they see him fitting in and how? I'm certain Ole didn't want Van De Beek, and he wasn't cheap, but wasting Sancho is worse, and Ole must have wanted him. Grealish hasn't excelled at City in terms of chances created and key moments, but he has played more than people expected, a favourite of Guardiola. 

Dave

AWB

Bailly

Maguire

Lindelof

Shaw

McTominay

Fred

Bruno

Greenwood

Ronaldo

As expected. If they stay compact they should be able to make chances. Would rather see a more progressive side playing with a back-four, but it's clear it needs to be this formation and a partner up top to accommodate Ronaldo. Hopefully he does enough for it to pay off.

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Is Cavani injured or something? He's not even on the bench.

If one of those centre backs breaks down we've got nobody to replace them.  

I think we're going to get dicked and lurch back into crisis mode.

If/when one of the centre backs breaks down we will be going back to a back 4 or have Shaw play as the 3rd CB. Personally I was hoping for a Phil Jones redemption arc.

19 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Is Cavani injured or something? He's not even on the bench.

If one of those centre backs breaks down we've got nobody to replace them.  

I think we're going to get dicked and lurch back into crisis mode.

Yep, injured again. Thankfully we have Ronaldo.

11 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Incidentally, a City player was offside from that first cross, but as it was a different phase the goal is onside. If he'd put the first cross into his own net it wouldn't have counted.

Do you mean Kyle Walkers cross? If so that was well onside.