IGNORED

Elden Ring's Closed Network Test

Transient Curse

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Couple of questions - how do you two hand weapons? And how do you do gestures?

A tip came up on the loading screen showing how to 2 hand but it disappeared too quickly for me to read lol. Still not figured it out

Gestures are on the pause menu, at the right hand side of the screen. Couldn't get the motion control to work but they do work when you select them

35 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is there anyway to get in on this, seeing as I missed the sign up? I know the answer’s probably a big fat no, but I’m desperate to play it.

they’re only a couple hundred quid on eBay.

and if I’d read that in the 15 minutes before I redeemed my code it would be there too.

Was working from home and we managed to get the design queue down enough that I was able to get some time with it. Yeah, GOTY '22 already for me. Looked and felt like DS3.5 to me with elements of Sekiro thrown in.

Body swerved horse guy and also the tree boss in one of the dungeons (its animation reminded me of the Stone Demons from Lost Izalith) as I wanted to explore rather than waste time. Will save that for when the game comes out.

Only found one dungeon and it felt like a cross between Catacombs of Carthus and a Chalice Dungeon with typical Soulsborne ambushes/traps. Will take some minor brain rewiring to get used to the controls but seemed fine so far. Managed a few backstabs but didn't manage a single parry or block/counter (played as the Bloody Wolf and had no sorcery that I could see). Combat and world so far is satisfyingly Souls, so no complaints from me.

Got as far as Margit and he destroyed me (I can run faster than the lumbering Trolls!). Tried to summon but every attempt failed and then the game crashed at that point. By then I didn't have much more time left as work had started piling up again 😕 

Haven't seen any fast travel but there's plenty of bonfires Sites of Grace. Clearing a group of enemies will replenish your Estus Flask of Crimson Tears which came in handy a couple of times, if you survive.

It's going to be a difficult wait for this to be released as all I want to do now is play more! Got my alarm set for tomorrow morning but I can guarantee that will be silenced lol

I still haven't managed to kill the first enemy. I went back after I got my horse (or whatever it is) and nearly had him, but that's when I ran out of time.

Other than that, I didn't die much. I did one boss in a cave near the start (Beastman?) and generally the overworld enemies are easy to deal with. But I don't think I've fought a proper boss yet. I wasn't sure to go when I went up the hill towards the castle and got to the windy area, because it all seemed to be walled off.

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I still haven't managed to kill the first enemy. I went back after I got my horse (or whatever it is) and nearly had him, but that's when I ran out of time.

Other than that, I didn't die much. I did one boss in a cave near the start (Beastman?) and generally the overworld enemies are easy to deal with. But I don't think I've fought a proper boss yet. I wasn't sure to go when I went up the hill towards the castle and got to the windy area, because it all seemed to be walled off.

I wandered about a bit in that area and it does go further

Spoiler

AFAK mandatory boss for the area

5 hours ago, Hawklord said:

I wandered about a bit in that area and it does go further

Hide contents

AFAK mandatory boss for the area

Oh, is that the one

Spoiler

with the big curved sword and the claw that causes bleeding a lot? If so, I didn't realise that was compulsory and decided to leave it after a couple of attempts.

Edit: Just checked and it's not that one. I must have missed a path somewhere.

I was playing on PS4 and whilst it may not be a new benchmark for pretty visuals it still performed okay; it was unspectacular but I didn’t notice any jarring issues. So I think (or would hope) people with older PCs could still enjoy it…

Horse dude notes (image below):

Spoiler

wWNizdx.jpg

Me and horse dude yesterday. Take note of my health at the time, because four seconds later he stunlocked me with three swings as I tried to escape, then my horse vanished, then as I was lying on the ground he killed me with an overhead. So one daft mistake cost me most of my lifebar. :lol: 

So my insomnia, and the fact I'm working today, meant I was up at 5.30, so snuck in 30 mins on the beta. Didn't notice any frame rate drops on PS5, and thought it looked beautiful (but again, 5.30am).

It's so different in design, really interested to see how it plays out. I love From so so much.

6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Oh, is that the one

Hide contents

with the big curved sword and the claw that causes bleeding a lot? If so, I didn't realise that was compulsory and decided to leave it after a couple of attempts.

Edit: Just checked and it's not that one. I must have missed a path somewhere.

If you went past the wolves and the trolls, it's this guy

Spoiler

Margit The Fell

Spoiler

NtA2qe6r8HfkutxYm2SpLi.thumb.jpg.f548076aa925f5d6199798a2f2f50b4c.jpg

I watched all six hours of TB Skyen's streams of the two network tests so far. :blush: (He does a series of Boss Designs of Dark Souls/Bloodborne videos that I really like.)

The first video is focused on one strength character; second is trying out the magic/faith/dexterity builds.

He's playing on a base PS4. Performance looked generally OK to me, except for some of the horseback-vs-horseback combat. There is one brief graphical bug he encounters in the first video: after encountering the giants pulling the wagon/convoy, he goes back along the road to what looks like the place where that convoy initially spawns, and for a moment, the wagon pops in. (Will edit the timestamp in if I find it again.)

Misc comments:

Spoiler

In the first video, he misses the whole tutorial area you can drop down into at the start. At 2h22m, he comes back and kills the tutorial boss in one ridiculously overpowered hit. :D

Giant crabs and land octopuses seem extremely dangerous. The giant poison flower seems not as deadly, but takes ages to kill.

He doesn't spend very long exploring the cave in the ravine with the flying, glowing alien jellyfish. :(

Some spoilery questions prompted by stuff off the beaten path in those videos:

Spoiler

* At one end of the beach, there are what looks like magical glowing footprints, racing in a loop around some ruins, as fast as you can on horseback. There are a few messages around saying "try attacking" - but if it's an invisible enemy, he couldn't hit it. Chasing around the glowing footprints didn't do anything either. Anyone know what it is?

* Someone in the stream's chat says that if you kill the dragon before going to the island, something different can happen there. He goes to the island without killing it, where he sees messages about needing a special item, which presumably is something you get from the dragon. Wonder what happens if you have it?

* When he tries killing the dragon, he attempts this method of cheesing the fight. Doesn't work, though - I think he might have been trying it on the wrong cliff.

With regards to question 1 and 2 in your spoiler @Nick R:

Spoiler

Its an invisible 'enemy' that gives you a weapon art when killed. You have to line yourself up with the footprints previous and strike as it comes past. They're similar to Crystal Lizards due to they can disappear if not killed quick enough etc (will respawn).

If you kill the dragon you get an 'item' you can give to an altar on the island which gives something wonderfully OP.

10 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Horse dude notes 

Figured out a horse dude. Friendly fire is real, and I was able to tag one and get him to chase me to the coast, kiting him into a bunch of those crabs. Everyone started swinging but they were taking damage from each other, and the horse dude didn't survive. :lol: