IGNORED

Analogue OS

SMD

Well after reading up about Analogue OS it gets a rather big meh from me. 

I just really want modern well built hardware that I can stick an Everdrive into. I couldn’t care less about logging what games I’ve played, faffing about uploading artwork or ‘Memories’. 

Hopefully if it’s on all their future hardware or even new releases of firmware for their existing consoles it’s something that can be bypassed with the boot to cartridge option. 

"*Analogue Pocket does not play copyrighted rom files, or dump game cartridges. It plays legacy game cartridges directly via the cartridge slot. To play a game in Library you will need to insert the game cartridge to play it."

Someone who looks a lot like Kevtris but with a moustache has other ideas I imagine.

I may have missed it but if it can do save states for original games that'd be of interest but really this is "Here's the OS for the thing we announced 2 years ago but still haven't actually made".

3 minutes ago, ulala said:

I imagine save states with carts are a lot more difficult to engineer than a rom snapshot in an emulator?

how would they work? 

My Retro Freak can do it which came out ages ago, as can the Retron5 and all manner of other systems.

It's not the carts that makes them harder, it's potentially how the FPGA is programmed. 

With a software emulator, it's a piece of piss to snapshot all state.

When it comes to an FPGA, things get... complicated... unless you make provisions for some external hardware to be able to snapshot simulated hardware.

That's how some cores for the MiSTer does it.

Retron5s just dump the cart and run them on an emulator.

Save states on (some examples of) real hardware exist via some high end flashcarts but not without some issues / glitches depending on the game / system - and I'll bet it'll be exactly this scenario on Analogue OS. 

As for the WIP OS itself - it's kinda weird to tout an in-system title database without official ROM loading...but no less weird than Analogue continuing the 'our devices don't support ROM loading' charade, I guess.

It'll be interesting to see what FPGA cores can be ported over; while the Duo will likely be more powerful, the Pocket board they've shown has two FPGAs - one with 49k gates, the other with 16k (the secondary one that's supposedly for 'user cores'). The DE-10 comes with 110k gates. So you're not going to get CPS-2 games on the Pocket any time soon…

EDIT: Apparently, I got this the wrong way around - the Cyclone V/49k will be available for user-provided cores, which is better, though still a ways behind what can be potentially done with the MiSTer.

11 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Save states on (some examples of) real hardware exist via some high end flashcarts but not without some issues / glitches depending on the game / system - and I'll bet it'll be exactly this scenario on Analogue OS. 

As for the WIP OS itself - it's kinda weird to tout an in-system title database without official ROM loading...but no less weird than Analogue continuing the 'our devices don't support ROM loading' charade, I guess.

Some really old solutions do save states. eg, my Double Pro Fighter (SNES games on floppies). But yes, it’s glitchy at times.

9 hours ago, Camel said:

Some really old solutions do save states. eg, my Double Pro Fighter (SNES games on floppies). But yes, it’s glitchy 

I was lucky enough to have access to similar devices at the time, borrowing one in particular for an entire summer. It was a later gen model which worked on both MD and SNES, had some special chip support and could handle 24mb / multidisk images.

Save states in any capacity would have blown my mind though, considering how long it would be before first encountering emulation.

It's great your gem of a device is still in service.

Mine does both too although I don’t have the MD adapter. And it does multi-floppies up to 24mb. But yes, you can start a game in a utility mode that allows saving and loading of save states to floppy with a combination of buttons on the pad.

Conversely I’ve also got a Multi Game Hunter which does both SNES and MD and I’ve only got the MD adaptor for that one. I don’t think it supports save states.