Best Metroidvania Titles

MikeF

I completed Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, unlike Hollow Knight which got frustrating wherever I was at and never went back to. So I guess weirdly I'd rate Deedlit better just from personal enjoyment, but it's certainly not been anywhere near as highly praised, which is a shame.

Deedlit was a walk in the park for me and the final rush can be very easy if you've been grinding levels. Better than Luna Nights (by the same team).

BTW if you liked Deedlit's (and Luna Night's to an extend) Ikaruga-like bullet-swap mechanic, give Outland by Housemarque a spin.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Deedlit was a walk in the park for me and the final rush can be very easy if you've been grinding levels. Better than Luna Nights (by the same team).

BTW if you liked Deedlit's (and Luna Night's to an extend) Ikaruga-like bullet-swap mechanic, give Outland by Housemarque a spin.

Outland is an unsung classic. 

50 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Outland is fantastic but quite mechanically complex, what with all the colour switching. I eventually gave up as my brain and fingers just weren’t up to it later on.

Same and I used to be good at Ikaruga (progression only) and all :D

3 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I liked Deedlit, and I didn't know about Luna Nights, so I'll have to give that a go. Thanks for mentioning it.

5 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

How does Luna Nights compare to Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth difficulty wise?

They’re both really easy but Deedlit is the easier of the two, mainly thanks to most of the bosses being walkovers.

I've played the opening ten or fifteen minutes of Luna Nights and I've already died twice :lol:

Mainly due to the mechanic where it rewards you for getting right up close to enemies before you kill them.

Oh, and when you freeze time my brain automatically puts enemies into the category of 'no longer a threat' so I try to walk through them, thinking I won't take damage. I do take damage.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

Oh, another point about Luna Nights is that when your MP bar refills completely, the robotic voice that's supposed to say "magic point max" sounds like it's saying "magic prolapse" so that's something to consider.

On 24/10/2022 at 22:20, TheShend said:

Yep, that's the same point I stopped.

I've just started Moonscars, also on Gamepass, but I think I need to remap the controls as it's little fiddly.

I started it mid last week and I'm finding the controls a little tricky too. 

Did you remap them and find it made things any better?  

5 minutes ago, womble9 said:

I started it mid last week and I'm finding the controls a little tricky too. 

Did you remap them and find it made things any better?  

I managed to finish this - which was a surprise to me given its difficulty - and stuck with the default controls. Once they clicked they worked well.

I'm ok with them to a point but when it all gets a bit busy I find myself flapping a little and then next thing, dead! 

No too sure why it is but I seem to have a real peripheral vision problem with this game alone in keeping a bit of an eye on the health bar, with me often dying just because I haven't topped it up! I'm not too fussed about losing the bone I've acquired but having to play again for a while to get a few decent spite perks is a bit grrrrrrr.

All that said I'm still enjoying it, though the first main boss is proving to be quite a challenge in particular as I've go there in angry moon mode and don't have any Glands left to appease it! I managed to get it's health bar down into it's final third a couple of times last night, tonight it WILL fall :)!!!  

Oh man, Deedlit is really cool, I love the sprite work and the animations. The main character moves exactly like Alucard! Unlike Mummy Demastered, which is pretty stingy with its power ups, Deedlit is generous, and has you floating in midair and casting quite powerful spells pretty much from the off. Great stuff. 

It might be sacrilegious to say it, but I found Deedlit more enjoyable to actually play than I remember of Symphony of the Night.

It's got the classic feel of a game like that but with more modern sensibilities and playability.

34 minutes ago, Benny said:

It might be sacrilegious to say it, but I found Deedlit more enjoyable to actually play than I remember of Symphony of the Night.

It's got the classic feel of a game like that but with more modern sensibilities and playability.

Real talk - I liked Symphony of the Night when I played it for the first time recently, but could only bring myself to play up to the bit where the castle turns upside down. 

Deedlit feels a lot more refined and palatable to modern tastes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the Wonder Boy / Monster World / Monster Boy series. Always felt the name Metroidvania was very US/NES-centric (much like its progenitor, Jeremy Parish, as much as I love his work), and Monster World really should have been part of the portmanteau. Wonderboy 3/Monster World II is astoundingly modern in retrospect.

On current platforms, you've got:

• Wonder Boy: Dragon's Lair - a beautiful looking/sounding remake of Wonderboy 3 on the Sega Master System by Lizardcube (the SoR4 guys), which barring a few QoL improvements is pretty much identical in terms of mechanics. It doesn't feel creaky at all, which really emphasises how much the original got things right. Fairly short play time, can probably be had for pennies these days.
  • Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom - a proper, huge modern Metroidvania, again with great graphics and sound, and heaps of personality. It manages to be both a love letter to the series and totally original. I enjoyed it a lot more than Metroid Dread TBH, which sucked at player communication.

I'd avoid the Monster World IV remake, as it's apparently pretty mediocre.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2022 at 19:58, Popo said:

Real talk - I liked Symphony of the Night when I played it for the first time recently, but could only bring myself to play up to the bit where the castle turns upside down. 

Deedlit feels a lot more refined and palatable to modern tastes. 

I just finished Deedlit and really enjoyed it. Appreciated it being a palatable length as well, 7-8 hours felt about right. Some of the boss fights were really cool, and I loved the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Started to play through Blasphemous... which feels more Souls-like than Metroidvania, but I guess it fits the topic.

Really enjoying it so far. Done about four bosses, and found they had that familiar iterative process of failing and learning, learning and failing, seen in Souls games. Really, really love the look of it, it seems to be pixel art done exactly right. Importantly, it has that gradually filling map with bits you can see you should go to, but can't quite get there yet.

On 26/11/2022 at 19:21, Dr_Dave said:

I just finished Deedlit and really enjoyed it. Appreciated it being a palatable length as well, 7-8 hours felt about right. Some of the boss fights were really cool, and I loved the music.

I did the Deed(lit) over the weekend and it was absolutely top notch. The bosses were a little too intense for my liking - it was do or die inside 90 seconds for most of them - by all means have fast as hell bosses, but I don't think a bit of variety would have hurt the game overall.  Still, it did nothing to dull my enjoyment.  The animations on Deed were excellent, especially the stoic way she wraps her cape over her shoulders when idle.

• 1 month later...

I've been working through Blasphemous again over the last week giving the added DLC stuff a spin. God, it's even better a second time around. Aged like a fine wine.

Also been dabbling in Astalon: Tears of the Earth, which looks like a run of the mill 8-bit platformer, but holy crap, it's a full blown roguelite metroidvania underneath, with some excellent level design, fun boss battles, and clichéd yet intriguing setting. It's a tight mix of La-Mulana and Ufouria elements with a roguelite flavour sprinkled on top. Highly recommended.