IGNORED

Best Metroidvania Titles

MikeF

On 28/10/2021 at 14:12, Kevvy Metal said:

Gato Roboto is awesome and is super short. 3 hours long probably and a real nice brisk Metroidvania. 

Agreed! I’m someone that generally prefers games to be 8-15h+ but this was a superb bite sized Metrovania that I’m sure would be a great introduction to the genre for those not familiar with it :)

Dandara is worth a look.

The gimmick is that you don't have free movement, you dash between surfaces and there's no gravity so you're zipping between the floor, walls and ceilings.  This gives combat and navigation it's own unique feel. It's a surreal game overall, not just in the movement mechanics, with some abstract location and enemy design and playing around with scale.

I had a good time with it.

8 hours ago, MikeF said:

Is The Messenger classed as one?

Just nabbed it from the PS store to try

I don’t - I’ll be honest, I didn’t really like it, so at the point where it changes pace I’d already decided to sack it off, and therefore I don’t know how the play style develops after that, but it had already long overstayed its welcome by that point. 

13 minutes ago, Popo said:

I don’t - I’ll be honest, I didn’t really like it, so at the point where it changes pace I’d already decided to sack it off, and therefore I don’t know how the play style develops after that, but it had already long overstayed its welcome by that point. 

Not sure I am enjoying it, seems very very platformy at the moment.  Will stick with it for a while longer to see if it changes

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Blasphemous is the best Dark Souls game since Dark Souls. I am aware that is hyperbole, but I have not had that exact feeling of pushing against the hostile world in all directions, not sure where to go but making tentative progress anyway.

The graphics are beautiful, the enemies are imaginative and dangerous but not overwhelming. 

So good. The lore isn't as ladled on as the trailer makes it look, and the combat is absolutely fantastic. It is not mashy at all.Iit feels like you're playing dark souls with the claymore.

Remembered I still had some way to go with Carrion and completed that today. Very nice, some tricky twitch sequences to get past, but yes recommended. :) Got a release outside of PC/Switch this week so go forth an consume humans.

The entire 2D space seems to have evolved in either action platformers or top-down RPGs. So sometimes I get the idea “Metroidvania” is simply the new name for platformers. The labyrinthian style of skill based unlocking is often skipped in favor of Zelda-style keys and locks and any form of not going forward is immediately judged to be “backtracking”. (To the point that Metroid Dread now prefers to put it at the end of the game.)

I’m sure some people would deem Muramasa and Odin Sphere to be Metroidvanias these days. 
Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but the genre is suffering from some inflation regardless. 

On 31/10/2021 at 13:26, Cyhwuhx said:

Remembered I still had some way to go with Carrion and completed that today. Very nice, some tricky twitch sequences to get past, but yes recommended. :)Got a release outside of PC/Switch this week so go forth an consume humans.

Maybe I'm misreading what you have written here but this was also released on Xbox at the same time as PC/Switch. It's also been on gamepass for a while now.

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

Maybe I'm misreading what you have written here but this has been out on at least on Xbox for ages. It's been on gamepass for a while now.

Ah, I picked it up on Switch back then. Thought it only had a Switch/PC release, but it seems it launched on everything except PS in 2020. This does explain why Sony wanted a piece of Devolver as soon as it went public. 😅

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, deKay said:

I didn't get much SotN from it. It's more HoD, I'd say. But it is excellent.

In terms of what how it animates the character and such it's totally in love with SotN. :) As to how it plays, I'd veer towards HoD as well. Though the orbs have a bit of AoS souls in there.