Home Sweet Home Alone

robotattack

It's like it can't make up it's mind if it's a remake of the original or a new movie.

The mum seems to have many lines exactly the same from the original movie but a lot of other stuff is very different.

Gonna watch it but low expectations :D

8 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

With that kid's natural charm and effortless delivery I can't see how this can fail.

I watched that trailer with the sound off and this comment still made complete sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this at the weekend.  7 year old was in hysterics plenty of times, and the wife and i both easily passed 6 proper laughs each so, in Kermodian terms, it has to be considered at least competent in its comedy, especially when you consider it's not that long.

Some great nostalgic references, as well as use of the classic score.

Is the kid annoying?  Yes.  Absolutely, and it's a bit weird/jarring that he and his mum are British given it doesn't really play into the story in any way.  And like most comedy films, there are some scenes that don't work as well as others and end up being cringe-worthy bad.

But in the end this is really not the train wreck I was expecting, and it gave my family plenty of daft, early festive laughs.

Pleasantly surprised.

This time, the antagonists aren’t professional thieves, but an ordinary married couple desperate to save their family home. As the film opens, Pam (Ellie Kemper) and Jeff (Rob Delaney) are holding an open house at their modest Winnetka dwelling, which—to their great shame—they’re being forced to sell because they can no longer keep up with the mortgage.

Among the visitors that afternoon are posh finance type Carol (Aisling Bea) and her son, Max (Archie Yates, a.k.a. the sidekick kid from Jojo Rabbit), who pop in just to use the bathroom. While waiting for his mom, Max, a snide little shit in the McAllister mode, gets into a verbal sparring match with Jeff, making fun of him for having a box full of dolls in his closet. One of those dolls goes missing, which is unfortunate because—in a classic only-in-the-movies coincidence—it turns out to be worth more than Jeff and Pam’s house. The two resolve to get it back, retracing their steps until they conclude that it must have been that rude little British boy who stole it. Soon, they manage to trace him back to a palatial subdivision across town, where he’s currently—ahem—home alone

So..they pop in for a viewing just to use the bathroom?? They have a doll that's worth more than their house??? They find that out? How? Just the doll that's missing? They find out the home address of those visitors? I'm sure it's all elegantly told but I'm curious how the writers work all that out, other than characters just blurting stuff out. 

Bumbling career criminals in fake police uniforms turned into desperate married couple...eesh. I'm sure watching them get battered by an annoying kid is fun. 

I watched it, I thought it was great.

And the kid's pretty good. He made me laugh in JoJo Rabbit and he made me laugh in this.

And even if it was shite, it's not like it's some classic franchise that got ruined, it was 2 pretty good films followed by a bunch of shit ones. Give it a go rather than trying to dissect it.

On 15/11/2021 at 19:56, Gambit said:

This is Home Alone 6. :lol:

This is why I struggle to take anyone seriously who is getting angry on social media about them disrespecting the original it like it's the first time since 1990 that someone's had the idea 'lets try that again'.

I certainly felt that the whole absurdist approach to money and wealth in the film, and that most of the characters are total dickheads, was very knowing, and given the people involved I'd expect that to be the case. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a vile little shit of a movie. 

Essentially the plot can be boiled down to: horrible, entitled rich British kid Archie tortures innocent married couple trying to save their home due to a series of misunderstandings. 

The first Home Alone worked because although Kevin was a horrible child, he was clever and used that cleverness to tackle some burglars who had been terrorising the neighbourhood, and in doing so protected his home from them. 

But here, they’ve basically taken the plot of the first film and made the burglars nice people who are desperate to save their home and family and turned the kid into the villain but they’ve not done this cleverly or deliberately or as a commentary, they’ve just lifted and shifted the plot and not realised the “bad guys” are actually the heroes of the piece. 

In more detail, and I’m not going to spoiler this because fuck this nasty movie:

The little scrote and his mom pop into an open house because he needs the toilet and he’s one of those “intelligent” sassy kids who is basically a grown up and runs rings round his mom when her saying “no” once in a while would do the child a world of good.

Whilst at the house he insults the house owner, Jeff, for no reason other than he is a horrid little brat. Archie then decides to do something mean to the man for no reason other than that he is a vile little turd.

You discover the man and his wife are being forced into selling their house because he lost his job and his wife’s salary isn’t enough to cover it. They haven’t told their kids because they know they’ll be heartbroken and it’s almost Christmas. 

The man has some dolls that belonged to his mother. They’re all hideous but it turns out the young boys mom recognises them in the two seconds she’s there at the open house and tells the man how valuable they are due to how messed up they are. The man and his wife decide to sell them to help save their house and Christmas. But what’s this? Oh no! One of the dolls, the ugliest of the lot, is missing! It must have been that horrible British kid, Archie. 

They go to retrieve it from the kid but see the family leaving for a holiday so they decide they have no choice but to break in to retrieve the doll. But of course it wouldn’t be a home alone movie without some neglectful rich parents leaving their child at home and, indeed, we see spoilt shitebag Archie has been left alone. He sees the man and woman attempting to get into the house, hears them talking about selling the “ugly child” to an old woman thinks they’re going to sell him and this then leads to him setting traps and basically torturing the poor couple. 

Fuck this nasty movie. 

7 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

He sees the man and woman attempting to get into the house, hears them talking about selling the “ugly child” to an old woman thinks they’re going to sell him

I knew about the other stuff but that is...that is something else i'm wondering how they communicate. I can imagine it, it just seems a weird way to merely have a simple story of a kid setting up traps in his home to stop criminals from getting in, which in the original was just; they're criminals, they're trying to get in. In this...lets just go through it again:

kid steals doll

owners struggling financially

owners discover doll is worth thousands

discover doll was stolen by kid

track kid down

(new) kid overhears doll owners want to sell 'ugly child' (the doll) and this spurs his violence towards doll owning financially struggling couple.

Maybe the writers just thought criminals trying to break in was too obvious?

also Home Alone absolutely is a classic, not just very good.

7 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

What a vile little shit of a movie. 

Essentially the plot can be boiled down to: horrible, entitled rich British kid Archie tortures innocent married couple trying to save their home due to a series of misunderstandings. 

The first Home Alone worked because although Kevin was a horrible child, he was clever and used that cleverness to tackle some burglars who had been terrorising the neighbourhood, and in doing so protected his home from them. 

But here, they’ve basically taken the plot of the first film and made the burglars nice people who are desperate to save their home and family and turned the kid into the villain but they’ve not done this cleverly or deliberately or as a commentary, they’ve just lifted and shifted the plot and not realised the “bad guys” are actually the heroes of the piece. 

In more detail, and I’m not going to spoiler this because fuck this nasty movie:

The little scrote and his mom pop into an open house because he needs the toilet and he’s one of those “intelligent” sassy kids who is basically a grown up and runs rings round his mom when her saying “no” once in a while would do the child a world of good.

Whilst at the house he insults the house owner, Jeff, for no reason other than he is a horrid little brat. Archie then decides to do something mean to the man for no reason other than that he is a vile little turd.

You discover the man and his wife are being forced into selling their house because he lost his job and his wife’s salary isn’t enough to cover it. They haven’t told their kids because they know they’ll be heartbroken and it’s almost Christmas. 

The man has some dolls that belonged to his mother. They’re all hideous but it turns out the young boys mom recognises them in the two seconds she’s there at the open house and tells the man how valuable they are due to how messed up they are. The man and his wife decide to sell them to help save their house and Christmas. But what’s this? Oh no! One of the dolls, the ugliest of the lot, is missing! It must have been that horrible British kid, Archie. 

They go to retrieve it from the kid but see the family leaving for a holiday so they decide they have no choice but to break in to retrieve the doll. But of course it wouldn’t be a home alone movie without some neglectful rich parents leaving their child at home and, indeed, we see spoilt shitebag Archie has been left alone. He sees the man and woman attempting to get into the house, hears them talking about selling the “ugly child” to an old woman thinks they’re going to sell him and this then leads to him setting traps and basically torturing the poor couple. 

Fuck this nasty movie. 

I’m confused. Did you like Archie or not?

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

I knew about the other stuff but that is...that is something else i'm wondering how they communicate. I can imagine it, it just seems a weird way to merely have a simple story of a kid setting up traps in his home to stop criminals from getting in, which in the original was just; they're criminals, they're trying to get in. In this...lets just go through it again:

kid steals doll

owners struggling financially

owners discover doll is worth thousands

discover doll was stolen by kid

track kid down

(new) kid overhears doll owners want to sell 'ugly child' (the doll) and this spurs his violence towards doll owning financially struggling couple.

Maybe the writers just thought criminals trying to break in was too obvious?

also Home Alone absolutely is a classic, not just very good.

Yes. Only it turns out he didn't steal the doll anyway, he stole a can of pop and they all make friends.

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I’m confused. Did you like Archie or not?

I disliked him so much I didn't realise his real name is Archie and in the film he's called Max.

And I stand by what I said earlier in the thread: he looks like they've de-aged Nick Frost using the Disney de-ageing tech.