The Big Star Trek Series ranking thread - vote for your favourites!

Doctor Shark

Rate the Trek!  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, PK said:

This has made me want to watch all of DS9 again, thank you!

man... i forget how much Brooks puts into Benny in the newspaper episode... if you've all not seen the documentary on DS9 it's worth it. Brooks was broken on the floor in tears after the call for cut came. Knowing how that was playing out behind the actors portrayal really hammers home Avery Brooks being fucking awesome

27 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

I seem to be in agreement with the majority on most of the questions - except for best ship.

How can anyone not place this as the best? Absolutely iconic and still beautiful today. The relative simplicity contrasted with ships in later series make them look like Homer Simpson's car design by comparison.

image.thumb.png.562f1ab3f7aec955f3551bec1e9d47eb.png

I really do love the original design but I prefer the squared off nacelles and enclosed sensor array of the 'A' revision. I believe it was originally designed for the aborted Phase 2 series.

ent-a-launch.jpg

16 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Nah. 

andrew-gavrilov-entdnebula01-00000.jpg?1

That’s always been a magnificent ship. Looks superb in its own right as a sci-if spaceship design, while also perfectly fitting in the series’ design lineage – you the viewer can see straight away that it’s related to Kirk’s Enterprise, while also being massively more technologically advanced than it.

38 minutes ago, Nicky said:

man... i forget how much Brooks puts into Benny in the newspaper episode... if you've all not seen the documentary on DS9 it's worth it. Brooks was broken on the floor in tears after the call for cut came. Knowing how that was playing out behind the actors portrayal really hammers home Avery Brooks being fucking awesome

That episode is I think the very best of DS9. And you don't even have to know anything about Star Trek or DS9.

Went for mostly TNG and the odd bit of TOS. 

Everything after TNG is more boring with the occasional good bit. So much boring though.  

The poll missed theme tune. Voyager's wins the most "fucking hell I'm falling asleep" award. Appropriately.

55 minutes ago, PK said:

This has made me want to watch all of DS9 again, thank you!

Your welcome.😃

I am dying to watch it again as well, but keep putting it off for the continually rumoured remaster they are meant to be working on.

2 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Everything after TNG is more boring with the occasional good bit. So much boring though.  

The poll missed theme tune. Voyager's wins the most "fucking hell I'm falling asleep" award. Appropriately.

Ran out of questions - you’re only allowed ten. 

You must have been watching early DS9. The producers were nervous having a black lead, and told him to shave his beard and grow his hair, so he would not be as intimidating.😮

Once they got that shit outta their system and allowed him to grow the goatee, he was a totally different and much more awesome character.

You really should give DS9 a proper watch as from late season 2 onwards it is brilliant.  They just need to get around to remastering the bloody thing now. Hopefully with Paramount Plus now a thing it will be a no brainer for them.

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Nah. 

I love TNG, but the Enterprise D just feels too flamboyant. I get that is probably intentional - by that stage the Enterprise seemed to be more of a a diplomatic tool than an exploration vessel. In contrast, there is something vulnerable but bold about the original Enterprise that I adore. Something that demonstrates that the Federation is really going out courageously into the unknown using whatever it has been able to pull together, with a subtle beauty that comes from a focus on function.

Similarly with DS9, I loved how the first series regularly revolved around O'Brien trying to stop the place falling to bits while Sisko negotiated with shopkeepers not to leave. It felt like everything was happening on the edge of civilisation, with tech was advanced but working way beyond its design specs.

41 minutes ago, Waggo said:

You must have been watching early DS9. The producers were nervous having a black lead, and told him to shave his beard and grow his hair, so he would not be as intimidating.😮

Once they got that shit outta their system and allowed him to grow the goatee, he was a totally different and much more awesome character.

You really should give DS9 a proper watch as from late season 2 onwards it is brilliant.  They just need to get around to remastering the bloody thing now. Hopefully with Paramount Plus now a thing it will be a no brainer for them.

My intention is to watch DS9 once I’ve finished TNG. it definitely was only early DS9 I watched - maybe the first three episodes and then the odd one I might have caught on TV. I then plan on moving onto voyager, then enterprise and then discovery and finally Picard, but we’ll see how much trek I can stomach before getting bored. 

1 hour ago, JamesC said:

I really do love the original design but I prefer the squared off nacelles and enclosed sensor array of the 'A' revision. I believe it was originally designed for the aborted Phase 2 series.

ent-a-launch.jpg

Yes! The 1701-A is absolutely my favourite Star Ship in the whole franchise. 

I grew up with the original films primarily, as well as some re-runs/repeats of TOS and this is "my" Enterprise. 

It's the original ship with - dare I say it - a bit more of a Star Wars look. 

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

I can't believe you put 'best side characters' and didn't put Garak in over "kids" :hmm:

And at time of writing 11 salamanda Janeways like Paris as best helmsman.

Fuck! I voted for TNG but didn't even think about Garak!

24 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Presumably this is a stealth way to perma-ban anyone voting for Star Trek: Burnham

I confess to voting for Stamets as best engineer. I like that he’s Trek’s first out gay character, I like the strange little family he’s got going on with Adira, I love the way he appears perpetually on the verge of snapping and punching someone in the face and I hope one day he gets to do that and it’s Michael Burnham. 

34 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I confess to voting for Stamets as best engineer. I like that he’s Trek’s first out gay character, I like the strange little family he’s got going on with Adira, I love the way he appears perpetually on the verge of snapping and punching someone in the face and I hope one day he gets to do that and it’s Michael Burnham. 

I like his character but am baffled by the family with Adira thing. Feels too contemporary as opposed to being in the future.

6 hours ago, McCoy said:

Nah. 

Such a beautiful ship. A real character of its own. I was absolutely gutted when 

Spoiler

they destroyed it in Generations. It hit me a million times harder than Kirk karking it. 

It was such a cheap knock out by the boob window sisters. 

She needed to go down in a blaze of glory against the Borg or the  Dominion in a war movie. (a big budget, solid war movie might have complimented the DS9 show brilliantly)

15 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Nice to see I'm not the only one who voted for Tucker as best engineer, he was one of the best things about Enterprise. 

As for side characters, there's no contest, it's DS9, hands down.

Quark (though I'd argue he's a main character), Rom, Brunt, Nog, Dukat, Dumar, Garak, Martok, Wayoun, Karen Wynn (sic) ... the list just goes on. I still prefer TNG overall, but only just.