Eurogamer starts subscription, asks community for financial support - not going too great

alex3d

24 minutes ago, SMD said:

James Stephanie Sterling's pronouns are they/them, just as a heads up.

200.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Haven't watched a Sterling video for years for the reasons I said, so wouldn't know of this development. Not that I care.

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

(of course, in a world of paid-for, screenshot and video-filled, detailed, carefully broken down guides, I'm a terrible audience for them as I prefer ye olde GameFAQS text-only, ASCII-art-filled guides. But that's because I'm an idiot)

This Super Metroid FAQ from 2001 recently got some attention on Twitter, praising how much effort the author put into creating hundreds and hundreds of lines of manually justified monospaced text, with very little cheating though use of double spaces:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/588741-super-metroid/faqs/10114

Example:

Now return to the rock formation that resembles Ridley and head north. At
the top, walk to the left through a fake wall. Go west, north, then east to
find some MISSLES (215). Use a power bomb to reveal a path through the maze
of metal just east of the missles. Grab the last POWER BOMBS (50). Again go
through the fake wall. This time head west, north, and then west again. You
will eventually pass a few metal gates. When you cannot travel west, hop on
the platform above the ebb of lava. Bomb it and crawl inside this platform.
There are some MISSLES (220) just under the room with the wave beam. In the
bubble room, grapple over to the green door. Grab the MISSLES (225) perched
on the platform in the middle of the room. Hop down to the bottom left (the
lava won't do any damage) and shoot the floor. A metal pipe will rise. Bomb
the left wall and crawl through. Drop into the lava and run left. Shoot the
last green rock above the lava to reveal the last set of MISSLES (230), and
then grab the last RESERVE TANK (4). Return to the bubble room. Use a power
bomb near the southwestern corner and take the door on the left side. Speed
through the speed tunnel. Leave Norfair using a path through Maridia. It is
a simple trek up to the grappling room in Maridia. Space jump to the middle
and take the blue door in the ceiling. Continue up and left until you crawl
into Brinstar. Take the elevator up and return to your ship.

Beautiful bricktext.

(Even if they did spell it "missles" throughout.)

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think the outrage is more to do with how they handled closing down the forum. I understand it was handled quite poorly. I also disagree on the moderation front. They have community moderators, the EG comments are usually mostly decent and I’d argue shutting down comments closes down any discussion of an important topic. Opening them up to legal issues is a real stretch.

So yeah, I think the timing and pitch could have been handled better. 

It’s not a stretch. Sites are responsible for their comments, legal is absolutely part of that and moderation can be costly. They also don’t owe anyone the right to comment on their site. Shutting down comments doesn’t stop anyone from discussing or speaking publicly about the journalism on social platforms or gaming forums elsewhere.

The forum itself was used by a tiny number of people by all accounts. Not saying it couldn’t have been handled better but it all feels rather confected. Most people never used them and it’s just another thing for them to worry about.

Neither are major issues, but they shut down the forum and didn’t even acknowledge it on the main site, no farewell, thanks for all the laughs or whatever. I don’t personally care but clearly their membership did and making them feel like EG couldn’t care less about them before turning around and asking for money doesn’t seem particularly well thought out. 

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Neither are major issues, but they shut down the forum and didn’t even acknowledge it on the main site, no farewell, thanks for all the laughs or whatever. I don’t personally care but clearly their membership did and making them feel like EG couldn’t care less about them before turning around and asking for money doesn’t seem particularly well thought out. 

I don’t disagree that it could have been handled better. But also true that the numbers actually affected were tiny.

I’ve just tried to find the bit of the stream I was watching on Ellie gibsons twitch, but it had Keza on (who is excellent). 

They spoke about the forum and I’m pretty certain that Keza said they had to close the forum as the guy who coded it left, and it was all bespoke hacked together and no one else could update it. Which, let’s face it, is IT in a nutshell. 

I’m may have misheard but I think she then went on to say some things about that person (and the way they had been treating women) that suggest that getting rid of them was a very good idea. I’ld be more specific but I was half asleep and so I don’t want to quote unfairly.

I didn't even think EG was still going, I used to use it for non-bias reviews but then it took a dip down hill. 

I don't find them relevant any more seeing how you can get non click-baity reviews elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Strafe said:

I’m sure they’ll be very upset at losing the ad revenue you didn’t generate 😪

LOLZ the thing is I installed my first ever ad-blocker as a result of the announcement of them introducing a subscription model; I've never actually bothered before and was quite happily reading their site. I just find it interesting they've gone from "please support us" to "you absolutely must support us one way or another or fuck off" quite quickly.

17 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Brave seems to be displaying it ad-free just fine.

Yeah, I'm not bothered enough to go to an entirely new browser. I'll just stop reading it altogether.

I just don’t see why, if you were fine reading it with ads before, you want to Adblock it now because they have a premium tier. With that in mind it did come across like it was some sort of stance.

First premium article is up:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-05-off-topic-a-forgotten-painting-of-a-world-gone-wrong

Appears to be one of Donlan's trademark mind-blowers where he may or may not even get round to mentioning games (but that's ok). These were pretty niche already, putting them behind a paywall risks the only person reading them being himself I'd have thought! But perhaps there will be a perfect overlap between subscribers and Donlan fans.

Hoping that the EG crew are considered to be such fascinating characters that people will pay for access to their innermost thoughts about what they had for breakfast seems optimistic at best, really. Even Donlan's merely "good for a games writer". And he's the best of the bunch by miles.

Just accessed the site using Edge browser without adblocker. Ads took a few seconds to load, white placeholders almost everwhere, ads among others for insurance, real estate broker and gaming. I know it's the pitiful state of today's internet, but it really isn't sexy at all.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

It stops at the end of a paragraph and almost suggests that’s the entire article.

Can't be, we don't find out what his favourite Turner painting is. Imagine that being the hook of their first premium article! Ballsy.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Donlan’s writing like it’s a live conversation style. Always full of “I haven’t seen this film for a while and I think this happens” or “someone told me this and it might be true, I don’t know!”. 

Mate, you’re a journalist with a keyboard and an internet connection. Look it up.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I just don’t see why, if you were fine reading it with ads before, you want to Adblock it now because they have a premium tier. With that in mind it did come across like it was some sort of stance.

Oh cool, a discussion. 

I don't want to AdBlock because they have a premium tier. I'm not even particularly wedded to AdBlock in general (having installed it, what, less than a week ago?). I'm just making a choice based on the options Eurogamer have put in front of me - subscribe, consume ads or fuck off. It's one more option than the FT, I guess.

Every other explanation I tried to write came off as long winded and over earnest.

It's had ads for the entirety of its existence, more or less, and nothing on that front has changed. It does seem odd that you'd react to the news that there's now an entirely-optional premium tier (that leaves your pre-existing ad-supported reading unaltered) by installing an ad blocker that then removes your access to the site. It seems like you haven't quite understood the situation. The old setup was always "consume ads or fuck off" as you put it, except now there's a way to avoid the ads.

I've got Privacy Badger installed on Chrome (thanks to @TehStu recommending it somewhere) and that continues to let me access EG with no issues.

That was not the old setup at all.

The old setup was "Please consume ads". The new setup is "Consume the ads or fuck off".

I'm bowing out of the discussion now, I don't feel any need to dig into my reasoning any more than I have done.