IGNORED

Double Dragon

I remember playing Double Dragon the Rosetta Stone on my A500+ with some friends. Can't remember if we ever beat it, but probably was one of the earliest sidescrolling beat em ups i played.

I checked out a video on yt and probably best i don't play it now, i don't think it's held up well.

It's my favourite arcade game of all time. It's never been bettered, the sequels are all a bit "meh". Golden Axe is my second favourite, which has a lot of parallels to DD's gameplay.

And yeah, sure there's Final Fight; Night Slashers; Cadillacs & Dinosaurs; Streets Of Rage, etc, but this is the absolute boss.

Oh and I'm so used to that slowdown when you have multiple baddies, that to eliminate it would be sacrilege.

Double Dragon Advance on the GBA is a tremendous tribute, playing a lot like the original, and inserting new levels into the route. It does go a little OTT though. I put together a video of the 22 versions I've played. The 8-bit and 16-bit computer versions are pretty terrible, to be frank...

Fond memories, as someone of around 10 years, watching this being played in my local video rental shop. Never really played it myself; I just watched the 'bigger boys' playing it :)

14 hours ago, matt0 said:

There's a nastiness to the animations in Double Dragon that I love. They're not realistic but there's a real feeling of pain in that daft squat hit-stun animation. The player's punch combo animation that doesn't look stylish or cool, it's just someone absolutely wailing on their victim. Even with the Fist Of The North Star style fantastic elements like the giant enemies, the casual way they throw you up in the air complete with that weird, contemptuous "Luuuur!" dialogue sample.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the director was a former gang member who used to get in to fights in his teenage years, which directly informed Renegade and River City Ransom.

I love that the default attack combo involves pulling the enemies head down and kneeing him/her in the face. A really brutal attack, at a time when martial arts in games usually just involved punching or kicking someone in the face once, causing them to fall over (Way of the Exploding Fist/ Kung Fu Master, etc).

A local cab office had a DD cab (and R-Type, not bad right?) so I pumped many 10 pence coins into this when I was a youngster. Lunch money = arcade vouchers.

It was the first arcade game I cleared on 1 credit, but not the last!

Interesting, though, that in the middle of this lovefest for all things Bimmy and Jimmy, there is of course an elephant in the room... The one flaw in the masterpiece..

That fucking stupid, pointless, cheap, utterly unfair section with the bricks coming out of the wall and the spear statues. 

It's almost like they thought " hmm, this is a great game we've come up with but it is a teeny bit easy, there's a chance people won't have to put enough money into this to make us rich before they see the end". And put in a section designed to munch through your credits right before you have to fight the final boss. 

I can't remember what Double Dragon Advance did about that section, considering it has little touches to just about everything that slightly improve the game. Is it just as cheap and unfair in that version?(going to check YouTube vids now). 

Always really enjoyed Double Dragon, one of the early games I remember playing when I was very young in the 80s. I always felt it should have become a big series, but Technōs Japan just messed around with the format too much with the later games and the third was a turkey. Once the Turtles arcade came out I was firmly in the Konami camp. To this day however Double Dragon had a lot of mechanics not seen in other scolling beat'em up.

On 03/10/2021 at 08:26, Swainy said:

Anyone who listens to the Retro Asylum podcast (or anyone who knows me) will know that I’m a huge fan of the original Double Dragon.

You can tell from your video you are a real veteran of Double Dragon, watching that I even learned a few tricks. I really need to practice so I can beat the game on 1CC, it's all to easy to use the elbow attack, so I tend to avoid it where I can.

Did a run a few years back, wasn't perfect, but I think I only used one or two credits.

First home port I owned was the awful Amiga version, it was bad, but it was still Double Dragon. Beat it lots of times over the years as well.

I had to make do with the Spectrum port which at the time felt very poor compared to the Spectrum conversion of Renegade & Target; Renegade had already been released at that point which was superb. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2021 at 07:21, Swainy said:

I don’t mind the Megadrive version but the sound effects are very weedy.

yeah the sfx are dump. Which is a shame as it looks alright but I’d say the sfx are almost as important to double dragon as the gfx. 

Shout out to the Master system version of DD. Obvs nothing like the arcade but coming from the C64 version (still bitter about ruining Christmas all these years on) it was perfection. 

On 31/10/2021 at 20:17, Nathan Wind said:

Lovely Peter has just put out a Double Dragon vid.  Dunno if it's any use, mind. I have yet to observe it.

When I was younger it sort of flew over my head, and it doesn't really surprise me even now. As during the game you could hit and hurt the other player, the number of times my brother flying kick to the back of the head supposedly trying to "catch up" with me. Or elbow me even though I knew he did this on purpose.

Glasgow airport had a Double Dragon machine, I used to play that when going on holiday. 
DD really was the “holy grail” of arcade games in the 80s for my friends and I, and we all enjoyed the C64 version, despite its flaws.

I’ve never played the Megadrive version of DD, it was slated in whichever magazine I read. I really should fire it up and see how it plays…

• 3 weeks later...

Just played the Amiga version for the first time ever. It's amazing how bad it is, considering that you would have thought that the machine would have been able to do at least a half decent attempt at getting it right. But once again (as with so many western home computer ports of Japanese arcades) it's like they didn't even try - the graphics are just about recognisable, in that you can tell which character each sprite is meant to be, but that's where it ends - they look like they're re-drawn by hand by five-year-olds who are just taking their best stab at approximating the arcade graphics. The gameplay bears no relation whatsoever - for example the first enemies you fight on the first stage use your elbow attack against you. None of the animations look anything like the arcade ones. Worst of all, the sound is basically non-existent - now, I'm playing a dodgy version (of course) so I can't 100% for sure say that the authentic version didn't have note-for-note recreations of the arcade's fantastic soundtrack and sound effects. But this version (WHDLoad) certainly doesn't - in fact I only noticed one sound effect ... when Abobo hits you it sounds like he's vomiting. 

6 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Just played the Amiga version for the first time ever. It's amazing how bad it is, considering that you would have thought that the machine would have been able to do at least a half decent attempt at getting it right. But once again (as with so many western home computer ports of Japanese arcades) it's like they didn't even try - the graphics are just about recognisable, in that you can tell which character each sprite is meant to be, but that's where it ends - they look like they're re-drawn by hand by five-year-olds who are just taking their best stab at approximating the arcade graphics. The gameplay bears no relation whatsoever - for example the first enemies you fight on the first stage use your elbow attack against you. None of the animations look anything like the arcade ones. Worst of all, the sound is basically non-existent - now, I'm playing a dodgy version (of course) so I can't 100% for sure say that the authentic version didn't have note-for-note recreations of the arcade's fantastic soundtrack and sound effects. But this version (WHDLoad) certainly doesn't - in fact I only noticed one sound effect ... when Abobo hits you it sounds like he's vomiting. 

Unfortunately that is how the game shipped back when it was first released. The only music is a dodgy sample from the arcade on the title screen which is on a very short loop.

Like many on here both this and Golden Axe were the first arcade games I'd gravitate towards back in the 80s. I could only ever get a couple of coins to play with each time because I was only very small. Me and my friends would also make up back-stories for all of the baddies while drawing them at school. :)

I also had to make do with Golden Axe, Renegade, and Target:Renegade on my Spectrum. I say "make do", when in honesty they were great ports. I vividly remember falling in love with the music for Target:Renegade. Besides that it also taught me how to sit down and learn how to work around seemingly impossible enemies. When I finally got a NES one Christmas I asked for Double Dragon alongside it but got the sequel instead. I was overjoyed with it because it was such an upgrade over what I already had. I loved it (and still do), especially the soundtrack.

Unfortunately, once Final Fight landed it utterly killed everything else. I was lucky enough to be able to pump my entire holiday spends into it when it was new (Cala Gran caravan park, mid 1990).

13 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Like many on here both this and Golden Axe were the first arcade games I'd gravitate towards back in the 80s. I could only ever get a couple of coins to play with each time because I was only very small. Me and my friends would also make up back-stories for all of the baddies while drawing them at school. :)

I also had to make do with Golden Axe, Renegade, and Target:Renegade on my Spectrum. I say "make do", when in honesty they were great ports. I vividly remember falling in love with the music for Target:Renegade. Besides that it also taught me how to sit down and learn how to work around seemingly impossible enemies. When I finally got a NES one Christmas I asked for Double Dragon alongside it but got the sequel instead. I was overjoyed with it because it was such an upgrade over what I already had. I loved it (and still do), especially the soundtrack.

Unfortunately, once Final Fight landed it utterly killed everything else. I was lucky enough to be able to pump my entire holiday spends into it when it was new (Cala Gran caravan park, mid 1990).

Gameplay wise I always thought Final Fight was a step back from Double Dragon. The move sets seem more limited and you don't get anything like the same feeling of brutal bone-crunching impact that made DD so entertaining! 

Not this debate again. >_<

The Final Fight toolkit is indeed limited, but to control the enemy waves and pack them into crowds for efficient disposal it's all you need, and you need to master it if you're aiming for the 1CC - which will indeed keep someone occupied longer than having three or four ways to get rid of a single bad guy on repeat. Less can be more. Obviously nine-year-old me was more wowed by the sprites, the audio, the speed/responsiveness of the attacks, and Haggar's piledriver.

The enemies on SoR2 are so predictable, and slow too. I was flat-out bored by that game back in the day shortly after I got it and I can only really play it now because of the music. It's probably one of the side-scrollers I've played the least, despite rinsing it. I just started SoR4 however, and as I'm upping the difficulty I'm thinking that Final Fight (or AvP, more like) finally has a contender. :) Whoever worked on the enemy behaviour here knows what's up.

Double Dragon 3 is a bit crap, isn't it?

I've tried it on the Famicom, and didnt get far, and the Gameboy version was even worse.  Felt like the enemies could block my attacks at will, and the whole thing felt very lightweight.

Anyone like it?