Why are trailers never released in 4k?

IcEBuRN

I mean, surely you'd want to showcase your upcoming product as well as possible right, and obviously, I'm talking about films that will have a 4k release, so all the blockbusters etc. Even specifically on the actual distributors channel, and not someone that's ripped it, and re-uploaded for the free views.

As an exmaple, even this Matrix trailer looks pretty gash on my 4k monitor with youtube 1080p compression, and out of any upcoming movie, you'd expect THIS to be it.

Nothing else really, but I've wondered for a while, and it's 2021 now, so what gives? Is there an actual explanation considering everyman and his dog has 4k on their channel?

3 hours ago, memories said:

What am I missing here?

https://youtu.be/mgBOSPX4XWM

No folks. These are people ripping the original and doing shitty upscales and jacking up the brightness/saturation (horribly I might add), again, for that sweet free revenue.

Find me one 4k trailer from an official source? That's right, they don't exist. :(

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

No folks. These are people ripping the original and doing shitty upscales and jacking up the brightness/saturation (horribly I might add), again, for that sweet free revenue.

Find me one 4k trailer from an official source? That's right, they don't exist. :(

I guess it's maybe they don't want people remixing the footage perhaps?

Because most films aren’t made in 4K.

The Matrix 4 was though, and the trailer I watched at the time was deffo 4K. Now of course there’s thousands of scammy rips as OP has noted so probably quite hard to find!

19 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Find a film actually filmed in 4k. 

I think it’s because barely anyone really cares? The mass majority of trailers are watched on a tiny phone screen inside the feed of your social media app (or on Amazon’s case, a little corner on the top left of the screen). The studio execs won’t wanna put out two versions either, they need to total up their views and brag about it, not split the audience or have a version that takes twice as long to load. If you want the full 4k experience (and it’s just a trailer after all) they want you to watch the whole thing in the cinema.