Dolby Vision for Games on Series X/S

Wahwah*

1 hour ago, auntyclimax said:

How would I go about this?

34 minutes ago, Pug said:

Careful with engineer beta firmware, sometimes the build number can be higher than public builds meaning you are stuck if later public builds are lower.

Have to second this. Loads of people got caught out installing a C9 engineering firmware with a high build number which they were then stuck on for over a year. It'll come to a public firmware soon enough, you really don't want to start messing around with dev builds.

7 minutes ago, layten said:

Have to second this. Loads of people got caught out installing a C9 engineering firmware with a high build number which they were then stuck on for over a year. It'll come to a public firmware soon enough, you really don't want to start messing around with dev builds.

Thanks for the warning, I’ll wait :) 

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Yep, updated mine with the engineering firmware and now have 120Hz Dolby Vision gaming.

How is the colour banding? It’s pretty bad for me in HDR at 120Hz unless I put the TV into PC mode - and I’ve heard Dolby Vision is even worse. 

40 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Are you saying that the CX doesn't display 120hz 4k for Dolby Vision, or it doesn't display 120hz 4k at all?

It does 120hz 4k. But not with dolby vision. The firmware update will allow that soon 

• 2 weeks later...

Have they put some auto Dolby Vision on things? Just played some Battlefield V and suddenly it looked completely different to just this morning. Turned out it suddenly defaulted to Dolby Vision instead of HDR.

As far as I can tell it’s the default HDR option for Xbox games now. If all they’re doing is tagging the output image as a 1000nit Dolby Vision signal then it shouldn’t really require anything on the dev side, if your TV has support for Dolby Vision then it already knows how to display an image to that spec.

11 hours ago, yashiro said:

If Dolby Vision looks 'completely different' to HDR then something somewhere in the setup is/was fucked.

Battlefield V looked very different. Colours in Dolby Vision was much more subdued and realistic. Turned it off and it was back to being much more vibrant and colourful, just found HDR made it easier to spot stuff.

On a 48" LG CX Oled.

The CX update for 120Hz Dolby Vision is up on their website, you can install it via a USB stick if you don't want to wait for it to appear as an automatic update.

Played around with it a bit and it's nice. Games in Dolby Vision don't look massively different to how they did using HDR/HGIG but there seems to be a bit more shadow detail and the highlights are brighter. HDR sliders need to be calibrated to 1000 nits now rather than 800 as before. The banding issue in Game Console mode has been fixed so I don't need to run the TV in PC mode any more.

Anyone thinking this looks significantly different to HDR was probably using Dynamic Tone Mapping which gave a brighter and more colourful (but ultimately pretty inaccurate) picture. This will look dim in comparison but it's a much better picture overall. Those of us that were using HGIG won't notice much of a change.

I haven't tried anything that is actually native DV yet though (I think Gears 5, Psychonauts 2 and Flight Sim all have this) so I'm not sure if there will be a more significant difference there.

I think the main advantage of this is it gets people away from using Dynamic Tone Mapping - and should hopefully eventually lead to the end of HDR sliders in games as I think native DV games will be able to read the TV's capabilities automatically and adjust accordingly. Even now stuff tends to default to 1000 nits anyway so more stuff "just works" out of the box. Either way it's nice to see Microsoft trying to push the boundaries of the tech in this way, they are way ahead of Sony with this stuff.

Just a heads up but the CX firmware just got downloaded to my TV when I checked to see if an update was available. 

Just updating mine. Finally I can get rid of the annoying no signal box. 

Oh and enable Dolby vision at 120hz of course. 

On 20/10/2021 at 09:34, koefoed said:

Battlefield V looked very different. Colours in Dolby Vision was much more subdued and realistic. Turned it off and it was back to being much more vibrant and colourful, just found HDR made it easier to spot stuff.

On a 48" LG CX Oled.

This will be because the modes are configured differently on each input. For example HDR might be set to a different colour temperature versus Dolby Vision, you might have dynamic tonemapping/contrast/colour etc turned on.

Generally I’d say if HDR looks significantly more colourful and contrasty, and you prefer it, you simply prefer a less accurate but punchier oversaturated image, at least for gaming. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it’s not what the creator intended. 

I got my update at some point recently and it’s a gamechanger. No more bloody sliders. C’mon Sony, your turn now. 

Worth noting too that you can now enable AMD Freesync on the TV without it automatically disabling Dolby Vision.

I've been testing it out (you need to enable VRR on the Xbox too for it to work) and it seems to reduce the flickering that you sometimes see with VRR. Life is Strange: True Colors was the worst offender for me, it flickered like mad before but it's a lot more subdued now. Worth enabling if you use VRR and there don't seem to be any drawbacks.

2 hours ago, auntyclimax said:

I hadn't applied the settings from HDTV to my CX until now, makes a big difference (to me, at least).

One question - should I be outputting 10 or 12bit from the Xbox?

Still in work at moment so can't check what I have it set at,will take a look later for you, if no one else replies.