IGNORED

Babylon 5 reboot

JohnC

I'm feeling trepidation about how this could turn out. JMS is back with Warner Bros. TV to reboot the show for The CW.

Written by Straczynski, the reboot revolves around John Sheridan (played by Bruce Boxleitner in the original series), an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, who is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Not really sure what to make of this. Seems a bit strange that JMS would want to reboot it 'from the ground up', unless it's some sort of parallel dimension thing.

He and Ty Franck were making vague references on Twitter to working with each other a while ago, I wonder if this is what they were talking about.

37 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah, it’s not like a complete from the ground up reboot for a TV sci fi show has ever worked before…

4607D197-4465-40A9-B061-B85B21EC2A32.gif.7d53631984ac66991367dd0b6d86e96c.gif

I'm saying JMS specifically, with how he talks about Babylon 5, does not strike me as someone who would want to reboot it, so this news seems odd.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

How well or poorly had B5 aged? I’ve never seen it but can always do with a “new” sci fi series in my life. 

It's hard to look at it and not have the burning glare of 90s TV studio lighting and N64-level CGI stare back. But it was a novel concept for a serial sci-fi at the time, and its multi-season story arc is still an impressive feat today. I'm not sure there's a whole lot that's truly original about its story, but I thought the characters were interesting and well developed. To look at it another way, it's leagues ahead of the likes of Discovery and Picard in storytelling.

The CW is a bit crap, don't have the biggest budgets on offer and their shows usually end up on the worst UK services.  Other than that, quite excited really, if it goes ahead.

JMS's writing and his company show running makes it an interesting prospect. JMS might go full cheese at times but he knows how to spin a good sci-fi yarn.   It's a rarer commodity in TV and film than it ought to be. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

How well or poorly had B5 aged? I’ve never seen it but can always do with a “new” sci fi series in my life. 

It’s aged quite a bit, but it doesn’t matter - until you get to season 5. I rewatched the whole thing earlier in the year and was burning through episodes every night, but once I got to season 5 I just lost any will to keep watching. All that Kenny G, Charles and Eddie long haired lover stuff was definitely of it’s time. 

A few comments in this thread from JMS confirming his involvement and on why it's a reboot. 

Made me excited, as it's all the reasons I wanted to hear and a bit sad when he names the actors that are no longer with us. 

Given that it's JMS running it and he's not a massive hack, I'm hoping that we'll get something like the same basic "diplomatic crossroads in space" premise and overall tone, but with a new story, characters, and maybe even aliens. He doesn't strike me as the kind of writer that would want to do a 5-season arc of mysteries where you can read up the answers to all the mysteries on the original series' wiki.

It’s a pity it has to be Babylon 5 in that case. B5 without G’Kar/Andreas Katsulas and Londo/Peter Jurasik?

Something else that struck me on rewatching it is how much the psi-corps corruption of Garibaldi robbed us of that character for a very large percentage of the story, and then losing Ivanova in the final series too because of some stupid contract issue - lots of missed opportunities basically. I don’t know if that’s the right term, but I suppose I just wanted more of the original in it’s prime.

For all the flack the CW gets for cheap looking endless superhero shows, the original B5 was not exactly made on a massive budget either.

Plus it's definitely the network that will give it the best shot at running for the duration.. even if ratings aren't great. There's stuff on there that got 3-4 seasons while scraping by with half a million viewers or less.

16 hours ago, MDY said:

For all the flack the CW gets for cheap looking endless superhero shows, the original B5 was not exactly made on a massive budget either.

Plus it's definitely the network that will give it the best shot at running for the duration.. even if ratings aren't great. There's stuff on there that got 3-4 seasons while scraping by with half a million viewers or less.

The casting of the original Babylon 5 was amazingly good. For the most part even for relatively minor characters. I think that's what will make or break this version.

On 28/09/2021 at 22:42, MDY said:

Their new Superman show is supposed to be a bit better looking than their usual fare, right?

Superman and Lois really surprised me. I gave up on the CW shows a long time ago, and don't mind Superman as a character, but he's far from my favourite.

But I really enjoyed the first season. It had a totally different feel to the other CW series, but I think I heard somewhere that HBO were involved in the production, so that may explain it. 

9 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Their new Superman show is supposed to be a bit better looking than their usual fare, right?

Yes, it's a definite step up in both writing and how good it looks compared to the rest of the 'Arrowverse' shows

Put it here as I can’t find the original thread.  IMDb on Amazon prime have Babylon 5 up free.  Thing is that it’s a) sd and b) adverts.  But if you fancied watching it again without paying £50 for it, now you can.  Also includes the movies and spin offs. 

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Put it here as I can’t find the original thread.  IMDb on Amazon prime have Babylon 5 up free.  Thing is that it’s a) sd and b) adverts.  But if you fancied watching it again without paying £50 for it, now you can.  Also includes the movies and spin offs. 

Oh wait, is that not the "remastered" one they had on there then if you watch via the IMDB link?

EDIT: Reddit seems to think it's the remastered version on the free IMDB link, just not the pilot episode. Also worth noting you don't need a Prime sub to watch it either.

27 minutes ago, Benny said:

Oh wait, is that not the "remastered" one they had on there then if you watch via the IMDB link?

EDIT: Reddit seems to think it's the remastered version on the free IMDB link, just not the pilot episode. Also worth noting you don't need a Prime sub to watch it either.

The pilot's in there. For some reason it's listed at the end of season 1 as a "bonus":

image.png.9a566fa5aacd1e6b909e0c8ba6ec57a8.png