Now then, now then, guys and gals. Steve Coogan to play Jimmy Savile in 'The Reckoning'

robotattack

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

Committing it to film, making it entertainment, making profit from it is glorifying it. There are documentaries about it that give the factual story, it doesn’t need glamourising as a film. 

Many victims are alive. It's pretty offensive in my view and I'm very broad minded.

I don't think filming something necessarily glorifies it. There are loads of films & TV series about horrific crimes that treat them with an appropriate level of gravitas, and which add to your understanding and empathy of the event(s).

12 minutes ago, K said:

I don't think filming something necessarily glorifies it. There are loads of films & TV series about horrific crimes that treat them with an appropriate level of gravitas, and which add to your understanding and empathy of the event(s).

I agree, but I worry casting Coogan is an enormous misstep. He's obviously not going to spend the whole programme strutting around in a gold tracksuit saying 'Now then now then', and I'm sure he'll competently portray Savile's really nasty character that you saw in that Louis Theroux clip when he didn't know the camera was rolling, but just the fact that he's known as a comedy impressionist is possibly going to set the wrong tone from the off.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Committing it to film, making it entertainment, making profit from it is glorifying it. There are documentaries about it that give the factual story, it doesn’t need glamourising as a film. 

It's as bad as that time Steven Speilberg glorified the holocaust.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Better to sweep it all under the carpet and hope nobody asks any questions then. It's all been dealt with now, time to move on. 

5 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Better to sweep it all under the carpet and hope nobody asks any questions then. It's all been dealt with now, time to move on. 

Yes that’s exactly what I was saying when I said people should go watch the various documentaries or read online what happened in a factual way. 

12 minutes ago, JamesC said:

It's as bad as that time Steven Speilberg glorified the holocaust.

Steven Spielberg glorified a man who saved hundreds from death during the Holocaust by betraying the ruling power of his country at great risk to himself and others. Ever so slightly different. 

5 minutes ago, PK said:

I agree, but I worry casting Coogan is an enormous misstep. He's obviously not going to spend the whole programme strutting around in a gold tracksuit saying 'Now then now then', and I'm sure he'll competently portray Savile's really nasty character that you saw in that Louis Theroux clip when he didn't know the camera was rolling, but just the fact that he's known as a comedy impressionist is possibly going to set the wrong tone from the off.

Yeah, Coogan is clearly desperate to be a serious actor, but I find he never really disappears into a role. It's always Coogan. But at the same time, he's good at copying the mannerisms and voice of a person, is an actor (rather than just an impressionist), and I think cares about people given his politics and his public stance against the tabloids. So I'm not totally sure he's the right person, but I am fairly confident he will try to do the right thing. It's not going to be some kind of Channel 5 affair, with a backlit Savile swooping out of a Ford Cortina and feeling up a selection of beautiful young women, like a kind of fright-wigged seventies Jack the Ripper.

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Steven Spielberg glorified a man who saved hundreds from death during the Holocaust by betraying the ruling power of his country at great risk to himself and others. Ever so slightly different. 

Spielberg didn't flinch from portraying the horror of the holocaust in that film, though. Look at the scene where the ghetto in Warsaw is "liquidated". It's nearly unwatchable. it doesn't glorify anything.

I think fiction can add to your understanding of a horrific, real, event. From Hell (the comic, not the film) goes a long way towards humanising the people Jack the Ripper killed, and portraying them as women, rather than as victims, or as crones / harlots, etc.

9 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yes that’s exactly what I was saying when I said people should go watch the various documentaries or read online what happened in a factual way. 

Yes, you said it's all been done already and we don't need any more. I got that, 

We certainly don't need the thing you've not seen, which is going to glorify it and make everyone uncomfortable as they wallow in their glorifications.

What about Sophie’s Choice, for example? There were thousands more holocaust survivors alive when that came out in 1982 than when Schindler’s List was made.

Also it made a profit of $21M!

As long as it's not just 90mins in a single room with coogan dressed as Saville leering at a photo of a child going 'Howz about that then" every 30 seconds then I'm ok with it. Hopefully it has a bit of a story to it and other characters.