IGNORED

Games that deserve a remake

Doctor Shark

I think there are probably a few old things on PS1 or Saturn or N64 that will probably never get another chance to see a larger audience, outside of maybe a straight port. We have had a few decent remakes and re-releases - NiGHTs, Radiant Silvergun, the PS1 Personas - but it would be cool to see more.

If I had to pick one title to make a return I might go for Silhouette Mirage; it's a Treasure side-scroller with a dual polarity system (Silhouette and Mirage), but its implementation into a side-on platform shooter makes it a bit more interesting than Ikaruga. Depending on whether you attack an enemy with the opposite or matching attack, you could deplete their health or their spirit (weapon power.) So if an enemy needs a lot of hits to be destroyed, you could instead choose to drain their spirit and essentially render them useless.

It's a really nice system and I like coming back to the game every now and then... but I always have to jump through emulation hoops on PC or PSP or whatever. All I might ask for is a few display options and a "how to play" (the original game might have had a "how to play" bit? I forget...) and I'd have no trouble picking it up on a digital storefront. According to wikis, however, it got a PSOne Classic release for the Japanese PSN in 2010, and that was it. :( 

Silhouette-Mirage-screenshot-1.jpg

33 minutes ago, SM47 said:

Didn't they do an asymmetrical vampires vs hunters multiplayer shooter/slasher set in the Kain universe a few years back? I liked the look of it but presumably it didn't do all that well. 

Yes. It was released in 2013 and shut down in 2016. It wasn’t really much to do with the Legacy of Kain series other than in setting. 

Vagrant Story. It's almost a proto Dark Souls so go with a vaguely similar model. Keep it turn based mostly mind for magic etc, real time for melee. 

Tidy up weapon affinity, and the risk system a bit and make the smithing less grindy.

Could potentially be amazing yet again!

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Rare's most memorable non-FPS game, Blastdozer/Blast Corps.

A remake or sequel which fixes the finnicky controls of some of the vehicles in the original and expands the scope a bit, would be amazing on modern powerful hardware. The physics and destruction potential would be insane now!

7VRL0Fl.jpg

This would be my number one. I think it’s a really great basic idea for a game. Part unadulterated destruction with a range of vehicles and part puzzle game. The scale of this now could be amazing. And it feels like it could actually be comparatively simple give it doesn’t need AI or even much story as the basic setup does all the heavy lifting. A huge destructive environment would just be pure fun.

I've said this many times before but will say it again.

The original SSX and SSX Tricky are crying out for a next gen remaster.

They were the definition of console fun. An absolute blast from start to finish without taking themselves too seriously.

Bit of a niche one this but I’d love a Football Management game that’s more like Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 than today’s Football Manager series, it was so far ahead of its time allowing you to individually upgrade stands of your stadium, choose which food and drink vendors, club shops etc. You had and choose which sponsorships you wanted on the advertising hoardings around the pitch. 

this was 23 years ago and the match engine of today’s Management games aren’t that much better than this was back then, it seems that today’s games have decided to go more stat heavy than actually making a fun management sim, don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Football Manager fan but nothing has bettered USM 98 for me.

CEABC0D8-4464-4C39-9663-AEC32411581A.jpeg

157D21C5-A03B-4EA0-89D9-A6E4FCB9AB84.jpeg

B632BD34-B1FB-4B58-A4CC-563B59E827B5.jpeg

3 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Vagrant Story. It's almost a proto Dark Souls so go with a vaguely similar model. Keep it turn based mostly mind for magic etc, real time for melee. 

Tidy up weapon affinity, and the risk system a bit and make the smithing less grindy.

Could potentially be amazing yet again!

This is a good shout, what does it look like running on that PS1 emulator that everyone has been excited about?

I don’t know if I’d have the patience for all those block puzzles these days though.

Skies of Arcadia. Every Sega game on the Dreamcast has been ported or remade since the system died yet somehow SoA only got as far as the Legends release on the GC. Give me HD graphics and the speed up options the Final Fantasy PSOne ports got and I’ll be happy.