Amazing games on the wrong format.

dumpster

Anything not on the Dreamcast

There are two ways of looking at the Dreamcast with regard to this subject. The platform was a flop, so it wasn't good to have your game come out on it. But for the time, games looked absolutely great on it, so from that perpective it did its games a favour.

15 hours ago, Siri said:

Another game for consideration: WWF No Mercy.

The game mechanics were far and away the best they've probably ever been for a western licensed wrestling game, but being on a cartridge absolutely fucking hampered everything else - a supremely limited roster compared to the PS1's Smackdown 1&2 equivalent,  64 x 64 pixel titantrons with completely trashed audio quality, and a vast majority of the gimmick matches that WWE were known for back in that particular era didn't make an appearance.

The one counterpoint to this would be - four joypad ports. I know the PS games were playable in 4P with a multitap, but it always relied on the one mate who had one to a)remember it and b)be at the house you were playing at. Even writing that it seems like such a minor thing but the N64 removed all the hassle of it. I imagine there are probably a lot of amazing games on other platforms that would have been much better with the N64's 4 player split screen.

Also, did it lack a lot of the gimmick matches? Not a criticism, i'm struggling to remember a lot of the WWE output at the time. It had ladder, cage, TLC (I think?), Ironman, hardcore rules options. I suppose it lacked any hell in a cell matches.

15 hours ago, Sabreman said:

OK, primarily Breath of the Wild - a flagship exclusive that suffers performance problems on its host platform.

I have a different reason for thinking that BotW shouldn't have been on the Switch*, and that is the fact it was a WiiU game originally and it's obvious the Sheikah slate is suppose to be the WiiU gamepad. Having played the amazing version of Wind Waker on the WiiU where all the menu and inventory management is done on the gamepad, having to pause the game to get to the map etc in BotW felt so backward.

* I appreciate that it made no economic sense to release it just on the WiiU, and I also appreciate that once it was going to the Switch it would have been a pain to then develop two versions with radically different menu/map systems.

7 hours ago, Darwock said:

Panzer Dragoon Orta

the only disc game i still own from the og xbox...as it still runs! and looks even better! as its 4k60 on a one x/xsx

and you can still buy it! so, not "console" exclusive, more brand exclusive

Samba de Amigo.

This is more about the technologies in the peripherals I guess.
It tried to be amazing on Dreamcast and only just fell short.

They tried again with Wii and made it worse.

Oculus Quest is the solution

9 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Samba de Amigo.

This is more about the technologies in the peripherals I guess.
It tried to be amazing on Dreamcast and only just fell short.

They tried again with Wii and made it worse

Don't forget Sega Superstars for EyeToy ;) 

617674-920490_20041103_002.jpg

10 hours ago, Death Adder said:

Parodius Portable Collection being JP PSP only is a waste.

Did Jeanne d'Arc get released on anything other than psp? If not, that's a shame - great little turn-based game.

Any cool little strategy titles that were on handhelds . . . The Sting games - Riviera, Yggdra Union, Gungnir, or stuff like Tactics Ogre and the two Super Robot Taisen games. I always admired how they economically used the tiny screen space to convey information, but I'm sure FF Tactics on the GBA contributed to my rapidly failing eyesight 😅

Another win for emulation though. Running a PSP game on the TV is an absolute pleasure.

All of those PSP shmup collections on that little screen are a crying shame and need to be released elsewhere. 

Bomb Jack is my nomination. There’s a Tecmo collection on Xbox which is thankfully 360 compatible but that’s your lot.

11 hours ago, Death Adder said:

Parodius Portable Collection being JP PSP only is a waste.

Absolutely this. Konami throw around the Gradius series in the Arcade Archives series and compilations, but where’s Parodius? They virtually pretend it never existed. If Gradius is still profitable, then it’s much more fun side-series presumably is as well?

Kid Icarus Uprising 

I love the 3DS and it’s 3D effect, but the lack of dual analogue sticks left KIU with an awful control scheme that hampers an otherwise incredible game. It needed to be on the Wii (Wiimote + nunchuck controls) or Wii U (HD graphics; Wiimote + nunchuck controls), and really needs converting to a machine that people still play on, i.e. the Switch.

Panzer Dragoon Saga. 

Not only is it locked away on Saturn, the source code lost along with any potential audience willing to pay for it, but it pushed the hardware beyond well beyond its comfort zone, with warping textures and pop-in galore. 

The mind filled in the blanks at the time, but it remains a masterpiece of a game that no one will ever play due to the circumstances of its release; the PAL version was a very limited run, to boot. 

16 hours ago, Darwock said:

In what way? MGS4 runs beautifully. The only downer is the install time, but that was patched so you only do it once.

It's less stable than the already mentioned Nintendo Switch game, so clearly a case of too technically ambitious for its target platform. Depends through which lense you view it through and how tolerant you are I suppose. Some evidence for the prosecution:

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Panzer Dragoon Saga. 

Not only is it locked away on Saturn, the source code lost along with any potential audience willing to pay for it, but it pushed the hardware beyond well beyond its comfort zone, with warping textures and pop-in galore. 

The mind filled in the blanks at the time, but it remains a masterpiece of a game that no one will ever play due to the circumstances of its release; the PAL version was a very limited run, to boot. 

There is apparently a working PC (likely emulated) port of the game in existence somewhere as somebody who worked at Gametap mentioned they had seen it during the late 2000s. Apparently Jeremy Parish did the manual for that version.

It's not impossible to reverse engineer games even without the actual source code, see Grand Theft Auto III or Kingdom Hearts for successful examples of ports done without source code access. $$$ is the only thing preventing anybody bothering to attempt the task.

On 25/09/2021 at 17:15, dumpster said:

Such a shame about the Dreamcast.  Should have been a game changer, but couldn't complete with PS2 which wasn't even out yet and was a bit rubbish when it was released too.  People overlooked Shenmue and Sonic, waiting instead for The Bouncer....

The Dreamcast pad was like a big Gregg's pasty and people ain't wanting that.

It also had a stupid swirl that meant nothing except drugs in the 90's!

Sega lost their marketing skills, and Sonic is now whored out around the planet.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Super Monkey Ball, Jet set radio future, Gun Valkyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta. All on the wrong formats, all should be on the Dreamcast as God had intended. 

Outrun 2 and Yakuza as well.

They all are in a parallel universe somewhere.

Death Tank Zwei on the Saturn.

A great multiplayer game hampered by a few small access issues:

• Nobody owned a Saturn
  • It was hidden away by Lobotomy Software as a freebie for people who owned more than one of their games

There was a remake on the XB360, but it is a game designed for in-person gaming, where you could troll your opponent by bunny hopping over their shots, pulling off amazing trick shots as they jet-packed across the level, or just simply splash al your cash to nuke everything in a glorious ball of death.

It would work perfectly on the Switch.

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Super Monkey Ball, Jet set radio future, Gun Valkyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta. All on the wrong formats, all should be on the Dreamcast as God had intended. 

I take your point, but gatdayumm if Super Monkey Ball wasn’t the most perfect Gamecube game ever.

8 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I take your point, but gatdayumm if Super Monkey Ball wasn’t the most perfect Gamecube game ever.

Sega at the height of their Dreamcast powers would have released it with an absurd peripheral recreating the controller from the arcade game though.

Muramasa: the Demon Blade. 

By far my favourite game on the Wii, beautiful artwork and gameplay, but the Wii looks arse on new TVs. If a game ever needed a 4k rerelease, It’s Muramasa!

I’m aware there’s a Vita version, but I never had a Vita.