IGNORED

Galaga (C64 port)

Unofficial Who

Galaga has been ported to the C64 by Arlasoft. You can download it here https://arlagames.itch.io/galaga-c64?

This is one of those games that missed out being ported to the C64 (it's successor Gaplus being the closest the C64 got during its commercial lifespan.)

It's a pretty solid port!

wdFSXf.png

This is one of my all-time favourite games, if ever I've got 5 or 10 minutes spare for a game I will always choose Galaga. So I thought it would be nice to be able to play it on my favourite machine. 

One obstacle of a decent Galaga port is the C64's aspect ratio, with the screen just 200 pixels tall compared to the Arcade's 288. However, the highly-rated NES conversion managed to squeeze it into 224 pixels, so all I needed to do was open up the top and bottom borders for sprites and use 12 or more pixels in each to make up the difference.  

Another big hurdle is the sheer number of sprites. Having looked at the NES version more closely I noticed that the formation doesn't move smoothly like it does in the arcade. So I decided that if enemies were drawn using characters when in formation, and sprites used elsewhere, there would be plenty of sprites available using a slightly modified version of Shallan's multiplexor. I don't think it detracts from the gameplay too much, as the main action is concerned with spawning and diving enemies anyway.

Xsyzm8.png

6LUn.png

Apologies, I realise the above post wasn’t exactly on topic. Just had a watch of gameplay footage of the Arlasoft version, it’s impressive stuff. Is it all just running on a standard C64?  Could it be written to a cassette and played on actual hardware?

44 minutes ago, geldra said:

Apologies, I realise the above post wasn’t exactly on topic. Just had a watch of gameplay footage of the Arlasoft version, it’s impressive stuff. Is it all just running on a standard C64?  Could it be written to a cassette and played on actual hardware?

Yes to both. It's a .d64 image