IGNORED

Chocobo GP - A kart racer 12 years in the making

Keyboard Koala

Some of the racers you control look too big in a way, some of that latest trailer I couldn't help but think it would be tricky to see what the  track was doing because of your massive character model. 

And as said, it looks like a re-skin.

Great Giana Kart.

On 30/09/2021 at 11:35, Strafe said:

The problem with kart racers is that none of them will ever be as good as Mario Kart. So you’re really only going to buy them if you’re really into kart racers as a genre - which seems unlikely as there’s only one good kart game and that is Mario kart - or don’t have a Nintendo console.

And this one is a Switch exclusive.

The problem with kart racers is they've adopted the Mario Kart 8 mould of essentially being a guided tour around extraordinarily wide tracks stuffed with all the bright colours and shiny objects designed to attract babies, as opposed to a proper racing genre in itself that can lean into its cartoonish gamey tone to be creative. You just have this zombie genre people are easily led into believing is alive because the graphics have improved in the same way gambling addicts are attracted to the bright flashing lights of a slot machine. It's so far gone that when the genre is salvaged by someone who gets to the essence of the genre again it'll be a bit like that scene in Lord of the Rings where Gandalf removes the poison from the king. Or just when you listen to an album where you realise 'oh right, this is what creativity is, this has opened up all possibilities, everything else feels formulaic compared to this'.

Another problem with kart racers is because they've become so empty they've lost all legitmacy as a genre, so all the developers who make the 4 billion adventure games released each year aren't interested. Because Nintendo with their Mario Partified destruction of Mario Kart turning it into something so tacky, with the current obsession with making beautiful games developers can't see how it can fit with the genre. Narrative, bosses, themes, progression, all things not linked with karting games.

The most annoying thing is there is this explosion in beautifully crafted games that are so effortlessly pretty, they're just not in the racing genre which i want. Maybe also not just the me-too paving the way nature of things, but games being more about empowerment, freedom, identity now.

Sci fi racers not F Zero can't even get the basics of make sure the crafts are sleek, be fast and visually clinical, so I'm not holding my breathe at a proper new kart racing game getting the simple things like standardised karts and narrow tracks right. I'm off to play an adventure game about a spirit wearing a cloak that fights demons.

• 1 month later...

Square Enix has confirmed that Cloud Strife will be appearing in Chocobo GP, but there’s a catch. The company has said that the character will be a Season Pass exclusive award that players can unlock. It’s not currently unclear if Cloud will be made available beyond that in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

First review I've seen. Looks like a mixed bag, i guess it will all depend on whether you think its worth £40. As said above though, coming just before the Mario Kart DLC may make up a lot of minds. 

That being said, I've got it pre ordered. 

I gave it a 5 as it's painfully mediocre, there are only 9 tracks, the characters are hateful, the presentation annoyingly twee, and there's set to be a shitload of typical Squeenix microtransactions. At least you can try the Lite version. I'm genuinely enjoying a fan translation of the PS1 version more. I was really looking forward to it and ended up having to play it for review rather than starting Elden Ring. The pain of the games reviewer 😜

18 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

I gave it a 5 as it's painfully mediocre, there are only 9 tracks, the characters are hateful, the presentation annoyingly twee, and there's set to be a shitload of typical Squeenix microtransactions. At least you can try the Lite version. I'm genuinely enjoying a fan translation of the PS1 version more. I was really looking forward to it and ended up having to play it for review rather than starting Elden Ring. The pain of the games reviewer 😜

Might just play the fan translation version then. Thanks

The Nintendo Life one glosses over the lack of tracks and the microtransactions. It also talks about 64 player carnage but the GP mode is just rounds of 8 racers rather than crazy huge tracks full. I hope the multiplayer turns out to be good as there is potential for the Lite mode. As a full price retail release, though, it's just not good enough. 

On 04/03/2022 at 18:49, earlymodernsteve said:

As a full price retail release, though, it's just not good enough

Its not a full price retail release though - it’s £40 rather than £50 or £60 (or PlayStation £70)

On 03/03/2022 at 21:39, Elseb said:

9 Tracks is ridiculous. 

Garfield Kart had 16!

It's not like they didn't have inspiration for tracks either, there's hundreds of potential themes/ settings they could've picked from. 

On 03/03/2022 at 21:14, earlymodernsteve said:

How does the fan translation of the original game differ from the original release?

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@wev I was sure it only released in Japan but must have got that mixed up with one of the Dungeon games. I could only find the Japanese or the translation for my Vita.

That's right, Chocobo Racing got a PAL PlayStation release but the Dungeon games didn't come over till the DS iirc

Christ, this is such a bizarre game.

I've been playing online and actually been doing quite well even though I think I'm pretty terrible at the game. Newcomers I guess. 

I played a few races offline to begin with and was a bit underwhelmed but I've actually had a lot of fun online though i never feel confident in finishing first even if I'm miles ahead. 

Downloaded the free version. The tutorial has you having to beat a cpu player, which was easy enough in principle after getting my head around drifting and spark boosts which is a straight rip off of Mario kart but has to handle slightly differently for some reason.

Anyway, I was ahead and then got zapped by a random bit of unexpected lighting so I deleted it. By all means do that in game but during a tutorial? No mate.