IGNORED

Chocobo GP - A kart racer 12 years in the making

Keyboard Koala

hero?v=2021092322

A sequel to the rather mediocre Chocobo Racing on the PSOne was first announced as a 3DS title (simply called Chocobo Racing 3D) back at E3 2010, but is now hitting the Switch in 2022.

Get set for a new racing experience, featuring a roster of dozens of your favourite Final Fantasy characters, complete with their own unique abilities and variants. Equip "magicites" and take out the competition as you drift through various familiar courses in online and offline multiplayer modes. Compete in tournaments and become the reigning champion of Chocobo GP!

Debut trailer:

Latest trailer:

>> Official website.

2hxHc2o.png

The problem with kart racers is that none of them will ever be as good as Mario Kart. So you’re really only going to buy them if you’re really into kart racers as a genre - which seems unlikely as there’s only one good kart game and that is Mario kart - or don’t have a Nintendo console.

And this one is a Switch exclusive.

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The problem with kart racers is that none of them will ever be as good as Mario Kart. So you’re really only going to buy them if you’re really into kart racers as a genre - which seems unlikely as there’s only one good kart game and that is Mario kart - or don’t have a Nintendo console.

Krazy Racers was pretty solid though.

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

Spot on.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Anyone else here find the music underwhelming here? Especially given the amazing back catalogue they have?

The whole thing looks, so far, underwhelming, looks like they're going for the "kiddy" market rather than leaning heavily on over 30 years of stuff they can pull from. Seems like a standard kart game.

Like, have all of those pick ups but have it a bit like Wipeout where you can absorb them, but you absorb it into a Limit Break that's a unique ability for each character.

The circuits don't shout out any particular locations either, I want to race through Evil Forest with its poisonous plants or plants that can grab you, the ruins of Zanarkand, around the aetheryte plaza in Limsa Lominsa dodging cat girls dancing to some bard playing a shit version of Sweet Child O Mine, Pandemonium with controls or power up abilities being reversed.

Maybe that's all in there, but what theyve shown so far looks less of a Final Fantasy spin off than even the original Chocobo Racing was.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I say it 'choc-obo' like the first bit of chocolate but it's meant to be pronounced 'choke - obo' like you're throttling someone.

Same

Choc-obo is right. It’s derived from an evergreen kids sweetie (like smarties in the UK) called Choco-ball. The mascot for that is a bird. Always handy that the Japanese language spells things out phonetically for debates like this.

edit - also, Narootoh

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

Choc-obo is right. It’s derived from an evergreen kids sweetie (like smarties in the UK) called Choco-ball. The mascot for that is a bird. Always handy that the Japanese language spells things out phonetically for debates like this.

edit - also, Narootoh

Are you pronouncing obo like an oboe instrument, or like the o in orange and bo as in bo selecta? I’m the latter.

sorta like chocka-bow (as in bow and arrow, not bow to your master) in my dirty north west accent.

25 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Are you pronouncing obo like an oboe instrument, or like the o in orange and bo as in bo selecta? I’m the latter.

sorta like chocka-bow (as in bow and arrow, not bow to your master) in my dirty north west accent.

Same, just because it’s the English pronunciation of least resistance.

I once knew a girl who put all the stress on the second syllable - she said it like you would say ‘Jacobi’. That was also the only time I have ever heard someone actually using the word ‘chocobo’ in a conversation.