Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Kirby's own odyssey?

Keyboard Koala

Eff me! This is brilliant. First proper 3D Kirby adventure since 2001's The Crystal Shards I think. And it's great!

As far as one could say something like this about a big capitalist corporation, I'd say Nintendo are spoiling us. Pokémon Legends: Arceus was great; this looks like a lot of fun, and a few weeks later we're getting the Advance Wars double pack too. And that's not even counting the extra content for MK 8 DX, which despite the lack of a proper graphical update still looks like a neat addition to the base game. And then there's Triangle Strategy out tomorrow as well.

380bd16e-8903-4796-8a6c-00bd7ca58295_tex

.... buuuut it'll all have to wait because of Elden Ring 😛

This is what a love about our little pink powerful friend.  I've got bullet hells, adore my Last Blade/Samurai Shodown, recently finished the DS trilogy. But there's always room for the huge amount of charm, cute and downright squeeeeee that is Kirby.

There's room in my heart for death, evil, games that make you cry (Ender Lillies here's looking at you) but also for this joyous dollop of plain wonderful.

This game is so beautiful. Considering the switch is now ancient, what they’re getting out of it is quite astonishing. The dark souls style bosses Kirby encounters are better than actual dark souls bosses too. So far it has more imagination than anything I’ve played since, well, the last big Nintendo game. 

Also the thread needs to be renamed Kirby own 3D world as it’s more like that than odyssey. 

I kind of think this looks bad. The too realistic textures are not great on the switch and the areas are pretty dull to look at.

The movement is super restrictive like a game from 15 years ago.

My 4 year old likes it a lot, but she's constantly asking why it won't let her explore. 

Seems a little like a rush job to me.

Played the demo. 

I may still get the full game but I did find the game a bit empty with a lack of any real challenge. 

However a ) it's kirby and b ) it's very early on in the game. Kinda hoping difficulty ramps up to at least 3D world challenging. 

My eight year old is loving it so far, gentle difficulty suits him and the various mouthfuls are amusing. 

I like the cute little corgi things doing slides when they pounce. 

Just played through the demo with my three year old watching. It's very cute, although obviously a game aimed at children, far more so than anything like Mario Odyssey. My son enjoyed it, and I thought the Souls-like bosses with their health bars and big wind ups were quite interesting - don't think I've seen bosses presented that way in a Nintendo game before.

The graphics looked fine to me playing about 8 ft from the living room telly. Performance was a bit choppy, even in the trailer they show you at the end for the main game, and it does that thing where moving objects or enemies in the distance run at about 10fps until you get closer to them, but my son didn't exactly pick up on it. It'll make a good birthday present for him later in the year, and I can always give it a proper go then, too ;)

Part of me loved it, mainly how cute and bright it is. It looks stunning on the OLED. I don’t think it’s much more than your standard 3D platformer with some Nintendo spit and polish though, and without the precision Mario controls.

That said, it looks fun and colourful and it’s stress-free gaming, so could be the perfect thing to play right now. Also seems really good for younger folk, and it’s better than the usual dross they get served up.

I might just get round to finishing 3D World instead.

My 6 1/2 year old loved the demo. He's slowly starting his "gaming journey" and enjoys easing about in 3D World and LEGO Ninjago but this has really clicked from a gameplay / controls perspective.

There are times in 3D World / LEGO Ninjago where you need to be more precise than his little hands and co-ordination will let him be but this, as has been previously mentioned, is "frictionless" so he doesn't get as frustrated.

My daughter who is 8 loved the demo and will be buying the full game with Christmas money. She informed that the bosses were very difficult, more so than Elden Ring, but she managed it :wub:

Played the demo and it’s all very ‘meh’. No real challenge, very bland looking and a far cry from what we thought we’d be getting from the early trailers. Very young children may find enjoyment in it but as far as a game goes it’s a 6/10 platformer with a bit of Nintendo spit and polish thrown in. 

After trying the demo I probably won’t get it. I guess the low difficulty shouldn’t be a surprise but I thought there’d be a lot more freedom in there. Loads of times I wanted to float off to a nearby bit of scenery and check it out but it kept me firmly on the path. You can’t even fall off it. Which is bonkers for a platformer.