IGNORED

Castlevania Advance Collection

layten

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Circle of the Moon has 2 very exploitable bugs which help a lot.

First select 2 DSS cards that you have. Press the button to activate them then immediately go into the menus.  Select any DSS card combo, regardless of whether you have the cards or not. Exit the menu and go back into the game and if you timed it right you'll have the cards equipped.  The bug is that when you activate DSS, the game checks you have the cards.  If you do, you get a 3 second animation as you power up. It doesn't check that you have the appropriate cards in your inventory after the animation so you can choose different cards during that period.

Also, the dragon zombie boss has 2 heads. If you go into the save room next door, save your game. Then as you enter the boss room stay in the doorway and don't jump down to where the boss is.  Use DSS to turn into a skeleton that throws bones.  Throw them and when you get a big one it will kill one dragon boss head. You'll get loads of XP for this.  Then leave the room, go back in and the head will have respawned. watch out for the bullets and if one heads your way go out and back in.  other than the bullets nothing can hit you and you can kill the boss many times over and get your level right up.

Yeah, the translations are distractingly "good".

Spoiler

E91540A3-3E28-4FF4-AEA0-2C7698CC984C.thumb.jpeg.2bb95668058b8404232421227ad23047.jpeg

I wonder how many people have done as I had in the past and booted Harmony of Dissonance for two minutes in an emulator and went "Eugh" and played a prettier alternative. Five hours in and really enjoying it. The difficulty might go too far the other way following the few spikes I hit in CotM and I miss the cards system, but there's a very neat twist early on I didn't see coming and the weirdly Animal Crossing-esque gimmick is intriguing - I have no idea what's happening with that yet. Fun/10.

Gratuitous bonus screenshot  :lol: 

Spoiler

3DA43D45-E7F0-440C-A7D2-49BECEA859AE.thumb.jpeg.29f6eaf0084f28ffb305e72181d55ce8.jpeg

Yeah, I'm enjoying HoD a lot. Even the weirdly 8-bit soundtrack has its moments and I had a good chuckle at that first screen when I encountered it. At times Juste comes across as Simon Belmont from the Captain N cartoons. :P

And the twist is awesome but...

Spoiler

It does enforce a lot more backtracking. Completely forgot about the "duck at gate" warp as well until I picked up the relevant Hint Card. 🤦‍♂️

That said, I really enjoy having the L/R Dashes. Quick hint for people playing and wondering why the magic/sub-weapons in this game are so bloody cumbersome: you can switch spellbooks by pressing UP+L/R and you can turn spellbook use on/off by pressing DOWN+L+R.

You still have to replace whip tips through the menu though.

On 24/09/2021 at 00:37, Wiper said:

(see e.g. the way all modern rhythm-action games come with calibration methods to allow the user to tweak the game to their TV and sound systems' latency).

Except (unless I've forgotten) Rhythm Paradise on the Wii somehow gets away without it. 

5 minutes ago, Camel said:

Except (unless I've forgotten) Rhythm Paradise on the Wii somehow gets away without it. 

I fear that the Wii is stretching "modern" a bit far, but if that is the case then that was indeed an unfashionably late instance of calibration-free rhythm action.

On 06/10/2021 at 09:19, Cyhwuhx said:

That said, I really enjoy having the L/R Dashes. Quick hint for people playing and wondering why the magic/sub-weapons in this game are so bloody cumbersome: you can switch spellbooks by pressing UP+L/R and you can turn spellbook use on/off by pressing DOWN+L+R.

You still have to replace whip tips through the menu though.

You beautiful man. It was so cumbersome otherwise that I've played most of the game at maximum hearts and simply never used the basic sub-weapons.

I'm at 9 hours with Harmony now and after spending around 7 of that with one(!) spellbook it's given me a few more very quickly - very bittersweet as the variety it opens up is  great fun but almost seems a waste at this stage. 

Edit - I say that and accidentally finish it with a disappointing ending and feel a wee bit deflated. :lol: But just a wee bit. I doubt I have the patience to go for a better one, that's not my style. But overall Harmony is up there with the "of Sorrow" pair for handheld 'Vanias for me and I really didn't see that coming.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/10/2021 at 22:14, Cyhwuhx said:

The trick is to go into that battle with the cross sub and spam them in the center, jumping out of the way when they return, to hit both heads. 

I’ve just beaten them. Using the card combo that gives you the flame orbs, you can get in loads of hits without even whipping.

4 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I’ve returned to CoM post dread and it’s still ace. But I’m totally abusing rewind for the bosses after the challenge of dread tho. 

The bosses so far have been sponges but none have actually been difficult - just time consuming. I seems to remember Aria’s bosses being way more difficult.

I’m struggling with the normal baddies and energy sapping water much more at the moment! That and the DSS system wouldn’t kick in as the game thought it was running on an emulator (same issue early GBA emus had with it!) A reload fixed it.

Completed the three GBA games in this (screw Vampire's Kiss) and it's been a joy to revisit. Especially Aria of Sorrow of course. Not only is the soul gathering ingenious and really let's you play with whatever you enjoy, in terms of story it's probably the very best Castlevania, period.

Now to finish up some Metroidvania stragglers.

Circle of the Moon down. That was excellent.

I've completed them all before, of course, but over a decade ago so I didn't remember any of it except one of the bosses. If this is supposed to be the worst one, then I'm well excited for the other two now.

I'm still battling through COTM. Having just got the  final key, I'll go and try the battle room before I meet Dracula. Luckily the DSS combo which heals is available, so I'll just try to spam that. And save often

On 03/10/2021 at 06:20, Yasawas said:

Is there a use for all this gold  I’m accumulating in Harmony of Dissonance?

No. I didn’t spend any of it as I always had way better kit than the shop could provide, and ended up with piles of unused potions and elixirs to. Only used one on the final boss!

11 hours ago, deKay said:

No. I didn’t spend any of it as I always had way better kit than the shop could provide, and ended up with piles of unused potions and elixirs to. Only used one on the final boss!

Terrible shop system too with different goods depending on which castle you're in. Argh.

Castevania Advance Collection done btw 8-) 55 hours+ of joy. I'm so obsessed with order that I even did Dracula X (and enjoyed it incidentally, despite its reputation) just to have all four cute crowns on my title screen. If I have one grumble with the games it's that I find the true ending stuff a faff - and Aria is especially obtuse in this regard - but the standard endings are so underwhelming they leave such a bad taste I feel I need to Google how to do them right. But given the good they have in the bank by this point I can forgive it - the games all get better as they go and the true joy for me is in the progression and exploration rather than the finish.

Three IgaVanias and a Metroid Dread the last month or so, what a gaming treat. And I see there's a hack for Dawn of Sorrow that removes the touch-screen business too so the next project has chosen itself really.

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I thought Aria of Sorrow was the best in signalling the true ending. :D I mean even your "girlfriend" at the gate mentions how to proceed.

It made sense in a way I suppose. I concede it didn't help that I had given up reading the dialogue long before that, the translation is on the level of mid-90s Squaresoft :lol:

Just now, Yasawas said:

It made sense in a way I suppose. I concede it didn't help that I had given up reading the dialogue long before that, the translation is on the level of mid-90s Squaresoft :lol:

Oh god yes, it has far too many awkward moments. And even then HoD still takes the whole bloody cake on that front. :lol: