IGNORED

Castlevania Advance Collection

layten

Right hold on, I thought dumpster was on about killing the same enemy repeatedly, using rewind, as though the system gave you the drop after ‘X’ number of kills. So that isn’t the case, and it’s actually actually random. Like, rewinding it actually re-rolls the randomiser for realsies?

9 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

But you’d rewind to before you get the drop, fucking it.

If it drops the thing you want, you'd stop rewinding!

1: enemy is alive

2: player kills enemy

EITHER 3A: enemy is dead and there's no drop OR 3B: enemy is dead and there's a drop

4: if 3A, rewind to 1 until 3B happens

2 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

If it drops the thing you want, you'd stop rewinding!

1: enemy is alive

2: player kills enemy

EITHER 3A: enemy is dead and there's no drop OR 3B: enemy is dead and there's a drop

4: if 3A, rewind to 1 until 3B happens

Yeah, I get it now. I just thought rewinding to 1 would yield the same non-drop, and what dumpster was on about was killing the same guy repeatedly, as though the drop was dependent on the numbers of kills. Hence why I was perplexed at the rewind wiping the kill.

My brain’s been turned into stone and cunts have been using it as a platform to collect hearts.

In other news, I just got to the waterway in CotM and it’s fucking brutal. Various enemies all over the place, both airborne, on the ground and in the water, each firing projectiles that freeze you, (which can then seemingly leave you vulnerable to being one-shotted once you’re frozen?). This is all happening amidst some pretty tedious stair-raising & lowering puzzles. Bit of a low point in a game I’ve otherwise really enjoyed.

I wish I'd known about the item that cleanses the waterway before I went through the whole thing without it.

There's a room in there I don't seem to be able to reach, it's behind a moving staircase that I don't seem to be able to get on the right side of.

Got this on the Switch & am working my way through the GBA games in order. 

I remember playing Circle of the Moon on an original GBA & struggling somewhat to see what was going on.  That's no longer an issue here & the game does look a bit basic, but it does have certain flow with the movement upgrades & how the DSS system changes how you can attack.

I know I played Harmony of Dissonance but I don't remember anything about it except that I fell off of it at some point & didn't finish it.  Second time's the charm?

Aria of Sorrow is almost certainly going to be the cream of the crop.  Have replayed that one multiple times over the years & am looking forward to doing so again.

Don't really have anything to say about Dracula X/Rondo of Blood.  Never played it.

The games do look lovely in the Switch's handheld mode, to the point that i really hope we get a GBA Online at some point in the future.

CotM is a brilliant, brilliant game. Massively underrated, it needs to be played to completion with (some ludicrous) grinding to get the DSS cards.  

So... Old way... Go into a room, kill the enemy with maybe 2 - 20 hits, see if it drops a card. If not, go out of the room, go back in and repeat. 

New way.  Kill enemy, see if it drops a card.  If not, rewind a few seconds, do the last couple of hits again and see if it drops. If not, rewind etc.

Saves you having to kill the enemy from scratch and leave the room every time and speeds up the process immeasurably. 

And yes, it's definitely a fuck-up that the normal game throws out DSS cards so infrequently.  If you play the patched version i mentioned earlier (cards are just there in the map to collect) it's a different game. Using the card combos to get through changes the whole approach, it's just brilliant to have all those powers on demand. 

20 hours ago, revlob said:

I wish I'd known about the item that cleanses the waterway before I went through the whole thing without it.

There's a room in there I don't seem to be able to reach, it's behind a moving staircase that I don't seem to be able to get on the right side of.

:blink:

I know how to get in that room you mentioned btw. I suspect that whole area will be the one part of my map riddled with uncharted sections cause I just want to get the fuck out of there.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

CotM is a brilliant, brilliant game. Massively underrated, it needs to be played to completion with (some ludicrous) grinding to get the DSS cards.  

So... Old way... Go into a room, kill the enemy with maybe 2 - 20 hits, see if it drops a card. If not, go out of the room, go back in and repeat. 

New way.  Kill enemy, see if it drops a card.  If not, rewind a few seconds, do the last couple of hits again and see if it drops. If not, rewind etc.

Saves you having to kill the enemy from scratch and leave the room every time and speeds up the process immeasurably. 

Has this even been confirmed to work? Is the drop decided when the enemy spawns or when it dies? 

22 hours ago, Jarik said:

I remember playing Circle of the Moon on an original GBA & struggling somewhat to see what was going on.  That's no longer an issue here & the game does look a bit basic, but it does have certain flow with the movement upgrades & how the DSS system changes how you can attack.

I have to say, this collection really shows how well tuned CotM was for a normal screen. HoD and AoS are both an overkill of colour on a TV screen now.

Of the GBAVanias I had only previously played Aria, which I loved, and was feeling the same about CotM until I got to the boss fight I'm on now (in the Observation Tower). Getting beasted :lol:

I'm still enjoying it I mean, but this seems like a bit of a spike. Or I'm missing something. Time to shuffle my cards.

I think I'm right in saying that one DSS card only appears in one room. You have a candle which turns into a ghost. You have to kill the ghost before it fades away in that one single room.  Utterly takes the piss.

On 29/09/2021 at 19:59, Alex W. said:

I did that myself back in the day. First ever Metroidvania, accidental sequence break. What a bollocks.

Speedruns of this game are really interesting, especially how they dash straight through the water area without the protection.

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

I think I'm right in saying that one DSS card only appears in one room. You have a candle which turns into a ghost. You have to kill the ghost before it fades away in that one single room.  Utterly takes the piss.

candle.jpg.60f4cbcd489540b56faf5d779dd73cbd.jpg

Gave the Rewind feature a try when killing an enemy with a Card I really wanted, but no-go after dozens & dozens of tries.  I'll give it another shot when I have some Luck-boosting items.

Just finished CotM and really enjoyed it overall, although I feel a bit dirty I had to Google around for good cards to boost me at the end. I didn’t save-scum it though so that’s something.

Can anyone say where Harmony sits difficulty-wise? I have completed Aria before so that one must be a doddle.

3 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Just finished CotM and really enjoyed it overall, although I feel a bit dirty I had to Google around for good cards to boost me at the end. I didn’t save-scum it though so that’s something.

Can anyone say where Harmony sits difficulty-wise? I have completed Aria before so that one must be a doddle.

Harmony is pretty easy what I remember, certainly not as difficult as CotM.

6 hours ago, Jarik said:

Gave the Rewind feature a try when killing an enemy with a Card I really wanted, but no-go after dozens & dozens of tries.  I'll give it another shot when I have some Luck-boosting items.

Sadly, that's true of the game without rewinding too.  With full powers etc I took over 100 tries to get the trick candle card (black dog I think).  It's a ludicrously unbalanced game.  The patched version on GBA is a game changer.

Yeah, Harmony loves letting you get lost (and I really like its aesthetic commitment to disorientation, aptly embodying a key aspect of Simon's Quest, which it is a follow-up to), but the combat is nearly always a piece o' piss. You'll be fine.

Edit: as a general tip, make full use of your L and R dashes! It has some of the most dynamic combat in the series, basically incorporating Symphony's wavedash exploit into its mechanics.