IGNORED

Castlevania Advance Collection

layten

I'm quite pleased with some LCD filters, from the correct viewing distance. This is the Game Boy Player via the RetroTINK 5X with optimal timings, which looks quite close to my AGS-101 SP (although the TV actually looks a bit more colourful). MiSTer can do something similar. Looks quite nice on a 49" screen when you're on the other side of the room and I prefer the variation it provides to having large, flat and unbroken fields of the same colour.

phantasy-star.thumb.jpg.4275da8ef53a5e8daa4c20486942cf83.jpg

47 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Is the music enhanced?  The video earlier alludes to it, but doesn't play any.

The description for the relevant option says it just improves the sample rate etc. so it’ll sound cleaner. It’s not been remastered or anything.

Playing a bit of Aria at the moment as it's the one I remember least. I wish they gave the option to start in hard mode without unlocking anything. Using pixel perfect mode the picture quality is still a bit jarring, especially text and character portraits. You forget about it once you start playing though.

Having a really excellent Sunday afternoon running around the castle in CotM ☺️ First time playing this one.

I eased myself into the collection last night by playing through the more linear classic style Dracula X, also my first time playing it. I thought it was much better than I’d been lead to believe it would be. I get that it’s a scaled back Rondo of Blood, but it still scratches that classic Vania itch with some pretty cool SNES effects and stuff going on with the graphics.

On 25/09/2021 at 12:21, DeciderVT said:

I'm quite pleased with some LCD filters, from the correct viewing distance. This is the Game Boy Player via the RetroTINK 5X with optimal timings, which looks quite close to my AGS-101 SP (although the TV actually looks a bit more colourful). MiSTer can do something similar. Looks quite nice on a 49" screen when you're on the other side of the room and I prefer the variation it provides to having large, flat and unbroken fields of the same colour.

phantasy-star.thumb.jpg.4275da8ef53a5e8daa4c20486942cf83.jpg

The new Retrotink 5x filters are the best I’ve ever seen and actually completely usable! 
I love the dialled in gamma boost when using them too so there’s no loss of brightness. 

40 minutes ago, watusi said:

This has got me playing aria of sorrow again on my hacked 3DS. Why do I still want to buy it on Switch!

what an excellent set of game these are. 

I am the same, got the original carts and GBA player on CRT, got them on Wii U and have them on the emulator on PC lol. I think I can use the excuse of the collection having the artwork and some additional features in the games.

How does the 'rewind' function work in this? From a video I saw, I assumed you could stop the game at any time, go back a few seconds, and start playing from a previous frame, but I can't work out how to do that. There's a save-state feature, and a 'replay' feature, but the former is just for going back to specific points you've already saved, and the latter just seems to be for saving little videos. Am I missing something or have I misunderstood what they meant by 'rewind'?

I was raving on here about a patch for CotM that removed the DSS card random drops and made them findable items in the map.  It's a game changer and improves the original massively.  The DSS random drops are so infrequent that it seems to be to be a bug.  Having all the cards unlock as you explore makes the game way more fun.

So it's good to know you can totally abuse the rewind system in this new collection.  Kill an enemy and if it doesn't drop the card rewind a second and see if it drops it the second time. If you kill an enemy that takes, say, 20 hits, just rewind and do the last hit again.  It's cheating but CotM is an awesome game with the card combos counting for so much gameplay, yet on a typical playthrough you get about 5 of the 20 cards and never see most of what it has to offer 

I hope these will work on XCloud /Gold - I'd love to play them again but don't have a Switch and they are definitely best on portable devices with small screens. If I could play on my phone with a Bluetooth controller I could easily play through them all again, even though I've rinsed them in the past. 

I think COTM is the only game I've ever totally 100% cleared. It's definitely the only Metroidvania where I've max levelled a character to lvl 99, which I remember took me years to do. 

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

The DSS random drops are so infrequent that it seems to be to be a bug. 

The drop rates for everything in CotM are screwy, not just the DSS Cards. I've been playing for a while now (just past the 3rd boss) and in all that time I've had just two potion drops. Meanwhile I somehow have 13 Wristbands, 5 Magic Gauntlets, and 18 (!) Leather Armors pointlessly clogging up my inventory. It's one of a number of niggles that are really bugging me about the game.

The save points feel just a little too far from boss rooms to be convenient. Enemy placement sometimes feels a bit unfair (jumping up from one screen only to get hit by an enemy projectile you couldn't have anticipated). Sometimes it feels like the rooms have been cut and pasted to pad things out, particularly when you go through three or four identical screens only to reach a gated area you'll need to come back to later or a single MP Boost. And why on earth don't bosses drop any kind of health pick up? Not even a refill?

There was a development video for Bloodstained where Iga was being incredibly pedantic about the movement of the main character feeling "right" to enhance the sense of exploration. I just don't get that CotM. The walk is too slow, double tapping to dash is awkward but essential for some platforming... it just feels off. In some ways it feels more like a Metroid than a Vania, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's not what I'm expecting.

Playing around with shaders and Aria of Sorrow in Retroarch, I’m pretty pleased with how this looks (lcd-grid-v2.glsl, if anyone fancies this look. I’m running on an LG OLED.).  There are prob some other custom shaders out there that look even better;

DC287A60-4BC3-4775-8EF0-6D1F80AF95E0.jpeg

edit: the gba-6x shader is also very nice though I’d like a variant without motion blur ideally

7B4C55A8-DFE2-4357-8565-C9AD3C8598B4.jpeg

7 hours ago, dumpster said:

So it's good to know you can totally abuse the rewind system in this new collection.  Kill an enemy and if it doesn't drop the card rewind a second and see if it drops it the second time. If you kill an enemy that takes, say, 20 hits, just rewind and do the last hit again.  It's cheating but CotM is an awesome game with the card combos counting for so much gameplay, yet on a typical playthrough you get about 5 of the 20 cards and never see most of what it has to offer 

Omg that never occurred to me! I've been repeatedly killing the same enemies over and over again like a chump for half an hour at a time.

Right hold on, I thought dumpster was on about killing the same enemy repeatedly, using rewind, as though the system gave you the drop after ‘X’ number of kills. So that isn’t the case, and it’s actually actually random. Like, rewinding it actually re-rolls the randomiser for realsies?