Castlevania Advance Collection

layten

27 minutes ago, Triple A said:

M2 doing this collection means insta buy I think

Hmm before I pull the trigger, what’s the word on the display and especially scanline options?  M2 nailed it with their PS2 shmups though I’d prefer to not spend c.£20 on stuff that would look good through decent emulation filters anyway

1 minute ago, Triple A said:

Hmm before I pull the trigger, what’s the word on the display and especially scanline options?  M2 nailed it with their PS2 shmups though I’d prefer to not spend c.£20 on stuff that would look good through decent emulation filters anyway

I’d imagine it would be on the same level of their other Castlevania collection, contra collection, and collection of mana.

12 hours ago, deKay said:

Great like "the great plague" or "the great fire of London", maybe.

I thought it was ok, Curse of Darkness was better. Some of the music in Lament was better than Symphony of the Night as well in my opinion.

12 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Okay now DS collection plz.

Any word of a physical release?

I had a physical release when it was announced.

55 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

5FEB2516-F9DE-40C1-9050-5BE97E80D5C8.thumb.jpeg.7c7683dc3cf286e44fe850dc7b7001a0.jpeg

Tch, playing the original, or buying the rerelease? Why do that, when you could spend far too much on a phone largely because it reminds of you of your old GBA SP and so you can do this:

820393557_GBACastlevaniaGalaxyFlip.thumb.png.c5766d7e40c6d338f0a9b0fcb360f463.png

That is indeed the major flaw in using it as a GBA emulator. Not really an issue for its actual primary use (translated Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade), but does rather make certain action games unfun.

Apologies if this was covered somewhere, but does it have suitable options for aspect ratios (e.g. original, full, stretch)?

I can live with dumb stretching in some re-releases, but it's also nice to have authentic proportions. :) 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Apologies if this was covered somewhere, but does it have suitable options for aspect ratios (e.g. original, full, stretch)?

I can live with dumb stretching in some re-releases, but it's also nice to have authentic proportions. :) 

It has options for Pixel Perfect, Standard (a slightly blown up image to better fit the screen) and Full (stretched).

Really happy with these ports. Not unexpected from M2, but it's really nice to see these games treated well and they hold up surprisingly well on the larger screens.

21 hours ago, Triple A said:

21 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

I’d imagine it would be on the same level of their other Castlevania collection, contra collection, and collection of mana.

8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

How are the visuals holding up blown up on the bigger screen? Must admit I found it a bit jarring on the Direct yesterday. 

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Just some big old heckin chonky pixels. It’s like a SNES game. I’m going to put it on my TV later and it’s going to be playing a game made out of Duplo.

It is mega chunky and as for scanline filters, this is M2 and usually they're on it. But there are none here because...well the GBA had no scanlines! It just looked good because it was made for a screen that was smaller than a post it note.

I plan to play this with glasses off for some natural anti aliasing.

The only thing it’s missing IMO is a subpixel filter or one that gives you the slight double vision effect of the GBA SP front light. There’s even an option to switch between GBA-accurate and high-quality sound output.

Well, that and they clearly had a little trouble sourcing PAL box and manual scans. “Version francaise integrale” sticker? They should’ve asked to borrow mine.

No shaders is a bit disappointing. It’s always a bit frustrating when public domain emulators have better scanline and filter options than commercial retro packages. Technically, the GBA wouldn’t have had scanlines, but they must have been able to do something to make the image a bit less sharp.

Does this mean that Dracula X doesn’t have a scanline option either?

1 hour ago, K said:

No shaders is a bit disappointing. It’s always a bit frustrating when public domain emulators have better scanline and filter options than commercial retro packages. Technically, the GBA wouldn’t have had scanlines, but they must have been able to do something to make the image a bit less sharp.

Does this mean that Dracula X doesn’t have a scanline option either?

I have not checked as I have not bought it, but one review that I watched said it had the CRT filter on Dracula X.

30 minutes ago, Sumire said:

one review that I watched said it had the CRT filter on Dracula X.

Assuming M2 is going for authenticity then this makes sense, given that as mentioned above the GBA display is LCD, and that Dracula X is an SFC/SNES game.

That said I still prefer having scanlines etc. for older pixel-based games - have been trying some GBA stuff via Retroarch and I think it looks great.  So, I'll perhaps play these Vania games in handheld format again when my Steam Deck arrives.

Drac XX has the same smeary filter from the Anniversary Collection. It's not great, but if you squint it might look like you're playing via RF or something. 😛

The previous collection had a superb dot-matrix filter for the two GB games, which was probably the stand-out feature of the entire pack, so it's a shame there's no approximation of the GBA screen's qualities here, but the games still look fantastic in 'pixel perfect' mode. I'm playing on Steam, but I bet they'd look great on the OLED Switch too. On the whole I'm really happy with the collection, and appreciate the addition of 'gadgets' for e.g. seeing which enemies drop DSS cards in CotM, or how many major items are left in a particular area in HoD. I'm a huge sucker for a good bestiary, too, so the encyclopedia content should be worth the price of admission alone. 

(I'd like to thank everyone for the fact that the thread didn't immediately descend into tier-listing and repeating every mouldy old take about HoD's music from 20 years ago. A cut above other forums on that score!)

30 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Assuming M2 is going for authenticity then this makes sense, given that as mentioned above the GBA display is LCD, and that Dracula X is an SFC/SNES game.

That said I still prefer having scanlines etc. for older pixel-based games - have been trying some GBA stuff via Retroarch and I think it looks great.  So, I'll perhaps play these Vania games in handheld format again when my Steam Deck arrives.

Yeah, some people prefer that high res lego block look, but I've never been too keen on it on modern TVs myself, but prefer it to some of the filters they provide. The games were originally designed for the smaller screen,  GBA games look amazing  on original hardware, well, the GBASP, Nintendo DS etc. I presume they might look pretty good on the switch in none docked mode or similar setup as they suit that screen size. As for the SNES, it was designed for CRT and used techniques to make it work and look best with that technology. Some of the modern filters they include are pretty bad sometimes so the lego block look may be preferential to some.