Castlevania Advance Collection

layten

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/09/castlevania-advance-collection-rated-for-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc-in-taiwan

Looks like we are getting another Castlevania collection composing of the GBA games along with Dracula X (so not the superior PCE Rondo of Blood). 

Dracula X seems a strange choice, given it is a linear type game, rather than the exploration type the GBA games were. Surely SotN would fit better. I guess they are keeping that one back to extract that final drop of blood from this particular stone.

SOTN and Rondo of Blood are already available through the Castlevania Requiem package, but yeah, it feels a bit weird that this is billed as Castlevania Advance Collection, rather than calling it Castlvania Collection vol. 2 and sticking a couple more games in there (like SOTN and Rondo).

It'd be nice if there was one big Castlevania compilation, rather than three.

Circle of the Moon is also great and has always been pretty underrated, I feel. The visibility issues on the original GBA screen definitely didn't help the way it was received at the time.

Gameplay-wise it feels the most 'Classicvania' of the Metroidvanias.

Dracula X does seem a strange fit for this collection. Would definitely have been better among the other linear CV games featured in the Anniversary Collection. Saying that, I enjoyed it on the SNES. It’s a solid if uninspired entry in the series. 

Does the Requiem Collection have an exclusivity deal with Sony or would we likely see that on other formats later?

The only other 2D game I can think of is Castlevania Chronicles on PS1, itself a port/remake of the Sharp X6800 Castlevania game. 

47 minutes ago, K said:

SOTN and Rondo of Blood are already available through the Castlevania Requiem package, but yeah, it feels a bit weird that this is billed as Castlevania Advance Collection, rather than calling it Castlvania Collection vol. 2 and sticking a couple more games in there (like SOTN and Rondo).

It'd be nice if there was one big Castlevania compilation, rather than three.

I wonder if Sony have an exclusivity deal on those which is why we are getting X. It would be nice to have them both on the Switch.

11 minutes ago, layten said:

I wonder if Sony have an exclusivity deal on those which is why we are getting X. It would be nice to have them both on the Switch.

I didn't realise Requiem was PS4-exclusive. To be honest, I would be surprised if they'd bother with a deal, I can't imagine they'd be slamming their chequebook down to secure Rondo of Blood and SotN. Particularly Rondo, it's a pretty deep cut. I would hazard a guess it's Konami being dysfunctional.

Doubly weird, in that on the PSP version SotN was originally a bonus that you unlocked when you completed Rondo of Blood, which was subsequently been promoted to being the main attraction of the compilation on PS4.

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Sony ported them not Konami, hence PS4 exclusive. The PSP emulator Sony made for Loco Roco/Patapon/Parappa is pretty robust so don't think it would have been a lot of work.

Except it broke parappa so it’s not possible.

6 hours ago, deKay said:

Very OT, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone else point this out - the timing feels off on the PS4 version which makes it totally unintuitive to get COOL ratings or even play normally (nice sounding rhythms don’t work). I originally googled for reviews/opinions and as nobody mentioned it playing poorly I thought Parappa was just not as good as I remembered it being.

Then I played it on PSP and realized it’s still COOL, and it’s just the port that sucks. Did everyone have this conversation somewhere in secret that I couldn’t find?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Very OT, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone else point this out - the timing feels off on the PS4 version which makes it totally unintuitive to get COOL ratings or even play normally (nice sounding rhythms don’t work). I originally googled for reviews/opinions and as nobody mentioned it playing poorly I thought Parappa was just not as good as I remembered it being.

Then I played it on PSP and realized it’s still COOL, and it’s just the port that sucks. Did everyone have this conversation somewhere in secret that I couldn’t find?

7 hours ago, deKay said:

Pretty sure that wasn't an emulation problem, it was a lack-of-adaptation problem. As in, Parappa was designed for CRTs, when lag wasn't an issue. The PSP version works perfectly either because the PSP is similarly lag-free, or because, being a closed platform, the emulated version was patched to match its lag (see e.g. the way all modern rhythm-action games come with calibration methods to allow the user to tweak the game to their TV and sound systems' latency).

Parappa on PS4, however, has no way to account for that, and no calibration option, and so you end up with something with mismatched visual, audio and input latencies, which will therefore never feel right.

^^^ Definitely.

Parappa (and sequel Un Jammer Lammy), in my experience, completely fall apart if you're not playing real hardware on a CRT. These two have the tightest timings I've ever encountered and are easily destroyed by a little LCD latency, let alone with emulation and controller lag on top.

I only popped in here to find out what on earth the fourth game in this collection of the GBA trilogy was.