IGNORED

Guardians of the Galaxy (2021) - It's really Groot!

Vemsie

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

See, I thought it was a reskinned Avengers too, but would've been okay with that because I enjoyed the general brawling in that game - but from the gameplay videos I've seen of this the combat just looks dull and nothing anybody has described here has done anything to allay that concern.

Therefore even though it seems people love the story, there's no way I'd pull full price (or anything near it) and will instead wait until it is either on Game Pass or about £10 (by Christmas it might be half price and if Epic do another £10 voucher then I'd probably bite.)

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've played both. The gameplay in this is better than the gameplay in Avengers. 

I'd disagree as far as the combat goes - I quite like the combat in GotG but there's a lot more going on in the Avengers once you get beyond button mashing.  GotG does do the Uncharted thing better than the Avengers does and the story and dialogue is in a different league but I think as far as the basic gameplay loop goes there is more going on in The Avengers

Mind you I maintain The Avengers is unfairly maligned and has a pretty good single player campaign.

GotG is by far the superior game though - its an entertaining game which absolutely nails delivering an interactive film/comic

2 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Its better written (and acted I'd argue) than both the films.  It is very funny in places

Thanks. 

Like you, I think combat in Avengers is pretty good (and you don't need to max the skill trees or invest loads of hours either before it gets interesting.) 

I made the Mass Effect comparison earlier not because I thought it looked like it played like that, but it had a similar controlling of your teammates powers thing going on. Now I love the Mass Effect games, so I don't have an issue with that particularly, it's just in this it looked less engaging, far more damage-spongey and less tight to control. 

I could be wrong on all counts, of course, but that is why I would've liked a demo to see. 

36 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Actually @Thor (and others), I know this is its own thing, but if you had to choose, is the writing and humour like GotG1 (which I really liked) or GotG1 (which I hated and felt was too try-hard and too quippy)? 

I assume you mean both movies, where the writing in the first film is much better than the second? Yeah, they really should bring back Nicole Perlman to run her eyes over the script for Vol 3.

As for your question, this is definitely funnier than GotG2, but does sometimes veer into the obvious comedy that GotG2 suffered from, especially Rocket who is basically Rocket from the movies. That said, Drax is brilliant in this game, very much like he is in the first movie rather than the second. Quill annoyed me at first with how dudebro he is, but you see there's far more to him as the game progresses, he's fucking great.  Gamora is my favourite, I love Zoe Saldana in the MCU (and in Trek), but Gamora in this has more heart, there's a softness to her that shines through the hard edge. :)

12 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Now I love the Mass Effect games, so I don't have an issue with that particularly, it's just in this it looked less engaging, far more damage-spongey and less tight to control. 

On normal settings the enemies are very damage spongy. Which is why you should set the Damage Dealt to High, and Damage Received to Low or Very Low. Much less spongy, and far more enjoyable. 

This is a fucking great game, and is now my GotY ahead of Returnal.

Edit: Controls are actually pretty tight apart from the sliding sections (the occurrences of which are just on the right side of too many).

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Thanks. 

Like you, I think combat in Avengers is pretty good (and you don't need to max the skill trees or invest loads of hours either before it gets interesting.) 

I made the Mass Effect comparison earlier not because I thought it looked like it played like that, but it had a similar controlling of your teammates powers thing going on. Now I love the Mass Effect games, so I don't have an issue with that particularly, it's just in this it looked less engaging, far more damage-spongey and less tight to control. 

I could be wrong on all counts, of course, but that is why I would've liked a demo to see. 

The combat is more frantic than ME as its not a cover shooter  but there are similarities in the combining your team's abilities to bring down the stronger enemies.

Its fun but a bit scrappy

@Gabe This time it's in the right thread.. This is some gameplay that shows normal enemies not being bullet sponges, and a mini-boss type enemy that takes a bit more effort and coordination. Bear in mind this is on NG+ so I have unlocked all the abilities for everyone whereas in a first run through not all of these would be available.

And yes...

tumblr_oom6ha7rnS1sqe6r7o1_500.gif

I picked this up partly due to the Richard Jacques soundtrack and partly due to all the praise in here.

It delivers on the first and the praise is due! Only up to start of the third chapter, but I'm absolutely loving it. Combat on easy for sure, enjoyed the melee in the first chapter though!

Completed it, mate.

I certainly enjoyed the second half less than the first as the lengthy dialogue trees and cutscenes used to make up for the lack of real game content started to wear a little thin and enforced walking exploration sections really got annoying. Some of the interior environments were pretty stunning, the planets less so.

Turning up to a brand new world light years from others and finding reskins of the same enemy creatures you saw on the others was a bit cheap.

That said, it told a good story and whilst Rocket’s endless negativity made me want to flush him out an airlock around the 12 hour mark, I enjoyed the teams chat and the soundtrack, which one imagines cost them a lot of money.

The combat was decent enough but got very samey.

I was surprised to hear it has issues running on last gen machines as it is built like a last gen game with lots (and lots) of loading sections disguised by narrow gaps you shimmy through and so on. I just figured the next gen stuff was all shinies.

I’m not sure if the second half of the game just wasn’t as good as the first half or if I was just getting bored and wanted to get it over with. Certainly the first 5 hours or so (assuming you go in relatively blind) were the best  because you have no real idea what to expect and where it’s all going.

Am I missing something with perks? I’m on chapter 13 but I already bought all of the 15 original ones for Peter in the last chapter and now amassing lots more components for now reason that I can see? Same with skill points, I’ve bought all of them for my team ages ago and now I don’t even get awarded any after battles.

It’s a shame the game gets far jankier as you get further in- I’ve had to reset to the previous checkpoint about 10 times so far getting stuck when the game fails to trigger stuff or just goes wrong after fights.

And done. 

About an hour too long and by the end combat was really starting to show it’s repetitiveness. 

What a great ride though and some amazing punches in the feels :(

Wish wed got this style of Avengers rather than GaaS nonsense 

I don't even think the combat is that bad actually. It's hardly Returnal, but you have a lot of options and using your team to take out enemies as quickly as possible is quite fun. Certainly not the best part of the game, but I quite enjoy it.

By the way, why is this only seven pages? I often see people lament the lack of linear SP only games, saying they're being pushed aside by bloated open world games or live service games. Well, here's a good example of the former with some of the best writing and performances you're gonna find in a AAA game and nobody seems to care.

21 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I don't even think the combat is that bad actually. It's hardly Returnal, but you have a lot of options and using your team to take out enemies as quickly as possible is quite fun. Certainly not the best part of the game, but I quite enjoy it.

By the way, why is this only seven pages? I often see people lament the lack of linear SP only games, saying they're being pushed aside by bloated open world games or live service games. Well, here's a good example of the former with some of the best writing and performances you're gonna find in a AAA game and nobody seems to care.

It came on the back of Avengers, and the Xbox and PC crowd have games to play and don’t really have to spend very much to play them. Presumably the switch folk are still swooning over getting a Metroid game.

Not sure what the PlayStation crowd are doing though. Probably waiting for the inevitable Square Enix Price Drop, which is what I’d have done if you all hadn’t got me enthused (and it’s easily the most well told story focused single player game I’ve played for a couple of years).

32 minutes ago, footle said:

Not sure what the PlayStation crowd are doing though. Probably waiting for the inevitable Square Enix Price Drop, which is what I’d have done if you all hadn’t got me enthused (and it’s easily the most well told story focused single player game I’ve played for a couple of years).

I'm waiting for the price drop, it's tough as I absolutely love the two films (I've never read the comics) and this is the only game I'm excited for this year. If it wasn't for the poorly optimised Xbox Series S version I would likely cash in my rewards points and purchase it now, instead I'm waiting for a PS5 digital price reduction. 

I presume this plays nicely on gamepad, rather than KB/Mouse? 

The latest patch sneaked in a ray tracing mode. It's reflections only and 30fps. It's shit, and also bullshit. There's an area with a big massive waterfall that should be reflected in the wet floor near it, everything else is, but not the waterfall. Lol.  Performance mode is still the best way to play this.

As for the combat, I've come full circle and now really enjoy it, and even leave the difficulty on Normal because I know how best to use Quill's powers and the others' powers.