IGNORED

Guardians of the Galaxy (2021) - It's really Groot!

Vemsie

It's so well written and acted, that I kind of sigh anytime a combat section comes up. 

I don't dislike the combat sections, but they seem simply functional as opposed to everything else. 

I was set to polish it off and trade it in, but I don't think I can. 

It's funnier than some alleged comedy movies, that I've seen of late. 

Now, where's the photo thread?

FDX6xXsXIAEkfam?format=jpg&name=large

I am surprised at the love this is getting, because normally any talk of good game stories is laughed at (or people love to say how they don't care about stories and just enjoy the mechanics) and most people seem to feel the actual gameplay is fine, nothing more. 

Now I am definitely a narrative - led player, so I am intrigued by the good word of mouth on that front, but I do still like to enjoy the combat - and it just looks so dull, like a poor version of Mass Effect 2/3.

It feels like it's a game that would really benefit from a demo (or waiting until its about £15 which, given the publisher, won't be too long away.) 

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Now I am definitely a narrative - led player, so I am intrigued by the good word of mouth on that front, but I do still like to enjoy the combat - and it just looks so dull, like a poor version of Mass Effect 2/3.

Nah, the combat is nothing like in Mass Effect 2 and 3, which were basically really enjoyable cover shooters with cool powers that made the combat really satisfying. The combat here is messy but can be fun. I went from thinking its okay, to outright hating it, to now rather enjoying it to the point where I dropped the damage Star-Lord deals from Very High to High so that when I do a huddle and the music kicks in, the fight lasts for more of the song. This is a lottery because there's always a chance you'll get Rick Rolled. :lol:

My advice? Set Star-Lord's damage dealt to High, set the damage dealt by enemies to Low or even Very Low, and tweak the other modifiers ( e.g how long before your teammates are downed and you have to revive them) to suit. Actually, the combat here is like combat in Witcher 3 - not mechanically, but it's serviceable enough that you can get some enjoyment out of it, with enough tweaks and options for everyone to have an enjoyable experience no matter the difficulty level.

So, can anyone in the know comment on how similar this is to the comics? Because I understand it borrows a lot more from them than the movies but based on some of the characters and loose references to lore/history stuff, it sounds like the devs have still put their own spin on things. Hoping it gives them some leeway for any sequels that might be in the pipeline.

5 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

So, can anyone in the know comment on how similar this is to the comics? Because I understand it borrows a lot more from them than the movies but based on some of the characters and loose references to lore/history stuff, it sounds like the devs have still put their own spin on things. Hoping it gives them some leeway for any sequels that might be in the pipeline.

I don't know about the comics at all, but I believe they have mostly done their own thing (Star-Lord taking his name from an '80s metal band for instance) while leaning into the movies (Drax, Rocket, and Gamora all sound similar to their movie counterparts, the Milano ship design is similar too, but I don't know what the design in the comics is like).

And completed -if it wasn’t for It takes two this would be my game of the year - despite the passable but never amazing combat the presentation, performance, story and soundtrack lift this head and shoulders above. 
 Honestly I’ve laughed more playing this than at any “comedy” I’ve watched in years and every member of the crew gets a moment to shine. 
 It’s also a good example of why you use voice actors instead of hollywood talent. 

Finished my second playthrough last night, and still fancy another go. :) 

The game gets so much right in terms of storytelling, characters, and the building of the team. For me, the only real misstep is late on with the start of the final mission... [WARNING - FULL ENDING SPOILERS AHOY!]

Spoiler

Where the fuck did these fancy suits come from? You start the mission and the whole team just appears in them. The game could have done with a "suiting-up" cut scene (there is such a scene in the GotG movie, actually). But even then, the suits are fucking rubbish! The default outfits are the best for everyone if you ask me, though Gamora does have a some nice alternatives (particularly the one with the green leather jacket). 

So yeah, for this second play I switched to the outfits I preferred, and that made the ending scenes much better, especially the stuff with Amy Windsock Adam Warlock/Magus, and that was a very nice surprise for me. I thought it was going to end with the classic mid-credits cliffhanger, but oh no, you sort that vexingly verbose villain right out. I love how Adam Warlock is basically superman, if superman was a king-sized, self-centered, painfully pretentious prick! They even made him look a lot like Henry Cavill!

Speaking of likenesses, I love how brazen this game is at times with its influences. For example, Lady Hellbender is basically a bigger Kassandra of Sparta (Assassin's Creed Odyssey) with some blue paint and red hair. Sadly her voice acting is the weakest in the game, they should have just gone full meta and got Melissanthi Mahut who voiced Kassandra. ;) 

I was surprised at how much I got right first time with the conversations and choices in this game: I hid the Lama, I got Nikki to give me her passkey, I chose to sell Groot and got the max 12k units from Cassandra, managed to distract Raker long enough for Rocket to do his thing, let Gamora run off to chase Raker (admittedly, this was by accident), I planted a seed of doubt in the worldmind's logic routines, and I talked Cosmo into rejecting the promise. The only difference those last two made was easier encounters in the final mission, as they kill loads of enemies for you.

On the subject of differences, did you all meet Lipless in the bar on Knowhere? That whole encounter is easily missed. On my first play I got him on side and he gave me a free pass for The Collector's "museum". On my second play I deliberately failed, which is actually fucking hilarious, and you get to kill him if you explore Knowhere fully. It's more fun to make friends with him though, "SSSSSTTOOOOORRRMMM RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIDDEEEEEERRRS"

Fucking great game! I now need to replay Returnal to decide which is my GOTY - nothing else this year comes close to these two. 

Has anyone mentioned the bugs yet?

I've had it freeze 3 times. Star Lord has got stuck multiple times (i.e. unable to move) and I've had a couple of times where a fight has ended but hasn't actually ended i.e. all the enemies have been killed but the character are still in fight mode.

I didn’t mention them as I only got stuck on a bit of scenery once and some music didn’t fade out after a fight properly. The save points are so generous that a reload usually takes you back about 30 seconds most times. 
 That’s been my total bugs in a full playthrough on series x. 

8 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Has anyone mentioned the bugs yet?

I've had it freeze 3 times. Star Lord has got stuck multiple times (i.e. unable to move) and I've had a couple of times where a fight has ended but hasn't actually ended i.e. all the enemies have been killed but the character are still in fight mode.

You've been unlucky.  I hit one or two, they just required a checkpoint reload. There was a patch yesterday that definitely made improvements to one encounter in particular for me.

Why is this game not getting more love here? It's fantastic. I demand more rllmukers play it!

There's a cheeky pop culture reference that the Devs couldn't resist putting in even though Quill technically perhaps shouldn't know it...

Spoiler

"Get over here!" He says it exactly the way you'd expect. But Mortal Kombat didn't come out until 1992, at which point young Quill was in a Chitauri prison in this game.

I suppose it could be said the he went back to earth after getting free, and that would make sense. 

I blame Squenix for The Avengers being a steaming rancid turd. Pretty much everyone (including myself) assumed it was a simple reskin from the same dev team right up until launch. It was only because of the good word of mouth that I actually got it. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

How? What else is there?

My own backlog really, I’m still playing GoT DC and Demon’s and then I have plenty of other’s on the to play list inc. Control, Jedi FO, Sniper 4 and SoT Tomb Raider. In addition I always have a few racing games on the go, F1, Wreckfest and PCars 3 at the moment. That ignores quite a few on the PS Collection too.

I recently finished/platinumed R&C Rift Apart though and I’d only had that for a couple of months 😀.

Next game is probably FH5 for a month with a £1 PC GP sub and I need to get Returnal now that it’s had a save patched in.

Just now, scoobysi said:

SoTTR only because it was on Plus and has had a fps patch (I think) and I haven’t played a TR for years. It’s not meant to be great though is it?

I'd play this before the others on your list, with the possible exception of Control (and for that I'd not play the DLC, and I'd bear in mind it takes a while to get going).

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I blame Squenix for The Avengers being a steaming rancid turd. Pretty much everyone (including myself) assumed it was a simple reskin from the same dev team right up until launch. It was only because of the good word of mouth that I actually got it. 

See, I thought it was a reskinned Avengers too, but would've been okay with that because I enjoyed the general brawling in that game - but from the gameplay videos I've seen of this the combat just looks dull and nothing anybody has described here has done anything to allay that concern.

Therefore even though it seems people love the story, there's no way I'd pull full price (or anything near it) and will instead wait until it is either on Game Pass or about £10 (by Christmas it might be half price and if Epic do another £10 voucher then I'd probably bite.)

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

See, I thought it was a reskinned Avengers too, but would've been okay with that because I enjoyed the general brawling in that game - but from the gameplay videos I've seen of this the combat just looks dull and nothing anybody has described here has done anything to allay that concern.

Therefore even though it seems people love the story, there's no way I'd pull full price (or anything near it) and will instead wait until it is either on Game Pass or about £10 (by Christmas it might be half price and if Epic do another £10 voucher then I'd probably bite.)

I've played both. The gameplay in this is better than the gameplay in Avengers.