IGNORED

Guardians of the Galaxy (2021) - It's really Groot!

Vemsie

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

My only complaint so far is the overuse of ‘Flark’

Someone never watched Battlestar Galactica. :coffee: The use of flark in this is immeasurably better than the use of frak in BSG. For me it's a stroke of genius to steal that one little joke from the Captain Marvel movie. It allows for more naturally adult language without actual foul language.

On 27/10/2021 at 23:18, SuperCapes said:

This game deserves similar praise to a Naughty Dog game. Sure they may be slightly more polished, but hot dog is this good. Story and characters are brilliant! 

At least the combat is better than an Uncharted game! 

Really enjoying it! 

the storytelling and group dynamics are far better than a naughty dog game.

For one thing, it’s not unremittingly bleak, doesn’t feature the same levels of ludonarrative dissonance, and has choice in your interactions with other characters.

the environments are also doing what I’d originally hoped the outer worlds would do: environments and aliens that are actually alien.

I’m genuinely shocked, because I’d written this off entirely based on their marketing; but given the gameplay and attraction is primarily the group i also don’t know how else they could have marketed it.

25 minutes ago, footle said:

the storytelling and group dynamics are far better than a naughty dog game.

For one thing, it’s not unremittingly bleak, doesn’t feature the same levels of ludonarrative dissonance, and has choice in your interactions with other characters.

the environments are also doing what I’d originally hoped the outer worlds would do: environments and aliens that are actually alien.

I’m genuinely shocked, because I’d written this off entirely based on their marketing; but given the gameplay and attraction is primarily the group i also don’t know how else they could have marketed it.

To be honest dude I couldn't feel more aligned with you.

Until the reviews said, it's just a good single player game with awesome writing It wasn't on my radar. So glad with my purchase, even at full price! 

Gave the Quality mode a good go in NG+. Flark that! Performance mode is so much better even if there are serious drops at times. That's it, I'm never going back to 30fps in a game ever again.

And yeah, finished this earlier. Very good ending. For me the level of polish in the second half of the game is lacking compared to the first half. This clearly needed some more dev time. But overall it's a terrific game thanks to its story and characters.

I'm really enjoying this NG+ playthrough, I'm choosing different options apart from ...

Chapter 2:

Spoiler

No way was I not backing Nikki up and getting her on side to slip her passkey to me. However I did choose to hide Rockets junk, which resulted in an 8k fine instead 9f a 7k fine... Ho him.

... and the writing continues to amuse and impress. This is a wonderful game. :)

edit: Regarding Quill, I don't know if an actual face model was used, but he kinda reminds a little of a young Joe Elliott (Def Leppard lead singer), but only a little. 

20 minutes ago, Flub said:

Spoiler the details for me. I don't fancy another playthrough just yet

Chapter 4

Spoiler

If you offer Rocket instead of Groot, it all goes sideways and you wind up running away and stealing from Lady Hellbender's vault (which can still get you 12,000 units) instead of enjoying her hospitality and quietly breaking out Groot. You still wind up fighting her big tentacle monster, but that bit in between is very different. 

Edit: You also get to collect something to start a conversation with Gamora.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Chapter 4

Hide contents

If you offer Rocket instead of Groot, it all goes sideways and you wind up running away and stealing from Lady Hellbender's vault (which can still get you 12,000 units) instead of enjoying her hospitality and quietly breaking out Groot. You still wind up fighting her big tentacle monster, but that bit in between is very different. 

Oh nice. I did it your second way around on my playthrough.

Spoiler

Did you plant doubt in the world mind first time around? I did and it appeared to save me a very big fight indeed.

I think I'm definitely going to do another playthrough at some point. Which "item" did you flush into space at the end of the first chapter?

13 minutes ago, Flub said:

I think I'm definitely going to do another playthrough at some point. Which "item" did you flush into space at the end of the first chapter?

Spoiler

On my first run I got rid of Rocket's junk. In my second playthrough I didn't. But you don't flush the Lama into space, you just leave it for the Novacorps to find. This winds up with you getting an 8k fine instead of a 7k one. 

Edit: To answer your question in the spoiler: Chapter 9:

Spoiler

I did indeed plant the seed of doubt, and will do in this play to avoid that huge fight because the combat is something I merely put up with in this game.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

On my first run I got rid of Rocket's junk. In my second playthrough I didn't. But you don't flush the Lama into space, you just leave it for the Novacorps to find. This winds up with you getting an 8k fine instead of a 7k one. 

Edit: To answer your question in the spoiler: Chapter 9:

Reveal hidden contents

I did indeed plant the seed of doubt, and will do in this play to avoid that huge fight because the combat is something I merely put up with in this game.

I think it'll still happen. Just in a different way

This hasn’t really clicked with me yet. Just finished chapter 4, and it’s so incredibly linear, and the combat is dull. It’s buggy, too. Needs a decent patch asap.   Too many cut scenes as well.

Definitely giving me interactive movie feels, which isn’t really what I’d hoped for. 

Edit: and I hate the time limit on giving responses.  I'm normally looking at my phone during the talky bits, so miss actually answering when they ask me stuff.

4 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

This hasn’t really clicked with me yet. Just finished chapter 4, and it’s so incredibly linear, and the combat is dull. It’s buggy, too. Needs a decent patch asap.   Too many cut scenes as well.

Definitely giving me interactive movie feels, which isn’t really what I’d hoped for. 

Edit: and I hate the time limit on giving responses.  I'm normally looking at my phone during the talky bits, so miss actually answering when they ask me stuff.

Give up now, trade it if you bought the disc version. This game is definitely 100% not for you, or pretty much anyone who only want to play a game for the actual shooty gameplay. 

Just now, Thor said:

Give up now, trade it if you bought the disc version. This game is definitely 100% not for you, or pretty much anyone who only want to play a game for the actual shooty gameplay. 

That's a shame, but I fear you might be right.  Disk version, luckily.

I was hoping it'd be something closer to Jedi: Fallen Order.

9 hours ago, catinthehat said:

if you’re looking at your phone during the actual story then punt the game on - 90% of what makes this game brilliant is the chat and storyline. 

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

Anyone playing this on PC? I got it on PS5 so that I can share it with my brother, but I'm thinking of double-dipping if PC performance is solid.  

I’m playing on PC - yeah it’s decent.

3090 and 5950X - 4K 120fps with all bells and whistles.  Looks great