IGNORED

Guardians of the Galaxy (2021) - It's really Groot!

Vemsie

On 25/10/2021 at 18:38, gooner4life said:

Wait so this isn’t a re-skin of avengers? 

Far from it. This is actually a linear singeplayer game with no added bullshit, from the studio that made the recent Deus Ex games. While the gameplay won't win any awards, it's a really well-written, funny game with a ton of heart and many incredible sci-fi vistas.

22 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Far from it. This is actually a linear singeplayer game with no added bullshit, from the studio that made the recent Deus Ex games. While the gameplay won't win any awards, it's a really well-written, funny game with a ton of heart and many incredible sci-fi vistas.

And an awesome talking dog. 

I have the week off next week. So think I may get this first then Disco Elysium after. 

Up to chapter 9 now and it’s been the most consistently entertaining game I’ve played all year. Made me laugh more than Psychonauts 2 and the dynamic of the group is really well done. 
 Also helps that it looks stunning at times - certainly using the full colour palette available to the devs. 

4 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Sorry I thought people knew the Guardians in the comics had that character in there. 

Cosmo is a member of the Guardians you see.  Do you think I should edit my post? 

As I assumed this was common knowledge. 

He’s in the first film too so surely spoilers aren’t necessary.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Thanks for this as I was under a similar impression to gooner. The comments make it sound like great fun, I'll stick it on the Christmas list. :)

2 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

He’s in the first film too so surely spoilers aren’t necessary.

In a blink and you'll miss it scene, with no speaking part.

7 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Sorry I thought people knew the Guardians in the comics had that character in there. 

I had no idea, as I've only ever seen the movies. 😕  I daresay there'll be a high number of players who have zero knowledge of the comics when playing this. 

Yeah it looks incredible, to the extent I'm playing on quality mode on series X to really soak the graphics in.  The combat doesn't really need 60fps anyway.

The performance capture and face animation stuff is really brilliant at times. Also Rocket's fur looks great.

I think Gamora has the best facial capture. Some scenes are ridiculously well animated. 

Honestly getting Mass Effect ambition from this. I pray they take it to the next level for a sequel. Improved combat, more RPG elements and a bit of free exploration (but not too much!) And it would be GOAT!!! 

Yeah it’s basically mass effect with a sense of humour - even to the way that you don’t control the team but do control their powers (well mass effect 1 anyway). 
 Maybe a bit more linear in structure but there’s at least 1 level so far that plays entirely differently depending on a choice you make. 
 I hope this sells well with word of mouth and doesn’t get tarred with the “it’s just the avengers” idea as it deserves a sequel. 

The combat really is the weakest element, isn't it? I've had to put Quill's damage to max and enemy damage to low. The game just chucks enemies at you, with enemies off screen and up high that can hit you with little warning, and when the frame rate tanks it is not fun. That said, it can also be satisfying, in it's own way. The combat here is serviceable, much like the combat in Mass Effect 1 is serviceable, but no more. 

This really is good. The writing and performances are top tier and the graphics are lovely.

The gameplay and technical performance both feel a little under-baked however, which is a real shame. Nothing terrible, but could’ve done with a little more polish. I’m playing on PC and have had two occasions where I’ve had to reload to the last checkpoint as the game just wouldn’t progress. I also find the combat a bit frenetic and unfocused. In the middle of a crazy battle it’s quite difficult to try and choose a Guardian and then a specific ability to use. Maybe that’s just me though.

Still having fun with it!

Oooooh, just had some proper Mass Effect feels in Chapter 9:

Spoiler

"You planted a seed of doubt in the Worldmind's logic routines"

This is basically the inverse of the conversation with Sovereign in Mass Effect.

Fucking wonderful!

This is a lovely slice of science fiction. :D

7 hours ago, Mortis said:

I got the opposite reaction to you @Thor- I’ll be interested to see how it plays out in the end game. 

Going by previous "decisions" it likely just makes something a little easier. 

On a different note - chapter 11...

Spoiler

I have a question. Is it possible to play the game without access to the space llama? Because if you guys made that mistake you lost out on some fun :)

Just finished. Amazing. Loved it. Excellent story with lots of heart. Given the way it ended I'd love a sequel.

My specific spoilered thoughts

Spoiler

I'd love to know how the game played out differently for people based on choices. Great use of the licensed music at time. Iron Maiden at the start of the space battle and The Final Countdown during the final battle. Mantis was great. Fin Fang Foom playing a major part was just delicious. When it was apparent the church was the bad guy I could see a lot of stuff coming but that just made it more fun.

Please note. Don't want to spoil anything but there's a post credits sequence you need to watch.