Nintendo Direct 23 Sep 2021

SMD

36 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Really don’t get the big deal about them being PAL, that’s what most of us played back in the day. They ran perfectly fine. 

Wave Race 64 with those hideous thick black borders. 😝

20 hours ago, kensei said:

N64 games do not feel right on a modern stick. You can get it to be okayish but the N64 pad was such a unique thing. I think the actual stick technology was different to modern pads?

I don't get the modern habit of crapping on it and preferring weird modern versions.

It was an evolutionary dead end but a design classic. 

Also: can we have the octagonal gate back, please?

The N64 stick was spring based with  plastic gearing so that's why it has the feel it does. Modern sticks are differant. The spring loading had a big benefit in that thanks to resistence is felt like you could hold the stick at certain angles and stay there. F-zero in particular was good for this as it allowed you to take corners at speed and feel like if you pushed the stick anymore then the ship would lose traction and spin.

9 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

The N64 stick was spring based with  plastic gearing so that's why it has the feel it does. Modern sticks are differant. The spring loading had a big benefit in that thanks to resistence is felt like you could hold the stick at certain angles and stay there. F-zero in particular was good for this as it allowed you to take corners at speed and feel like if you pushed the stick anymore then the ship would lose traction and spin.

This feel of control is exactly the reason F-Zero X was so good.

As for the 50hz thing, I seriously hope you get the option to pick. I think F-Zero X was one of the correctly optimised ones in terms of speed at least? Or am I remembering wrong still....

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Ah come on, they run slow, they’ve got black borders, all the visuals are squashed. I mean fine if that’s all you have access to at the time but why would you pay for that shit in 2021?

I ask the same questions about software emulation in general. Especially with compromised input and display response thanks to bluetooth and flat screen tech. 50Hz is the least of my concerns with the Switch Online service.

If someone's really desperate enough to want these games up to the point where they spend time repeatedly requesting them on internet forums they should probably invest that energy in sourcing the old hardware and playing them as nature originally intended. You could probably get a used console in good condition for the same price as one of those controllers.

For a quick five minute curio doss on the way to work I suppose the service is good enough. But just imagine if they spent time on giving these old games the same treatment as Sega give theirs via. M2. I'd love 1080p F-Zero X running natively on the system with loads of added bits like graphics modes, track creation and online sharing, online lobbies, etc. I know I'm in a minority but I'd pay full price for that - because I love the fucking game and I can appreciate the work and the end result. FFS I'd buy most of the catalogue purely out of support.

I reckon that Project Triangle Strategy was one of the best things about the Direct. I forgot about that.

25 years on and I'm still waiting for something to take Tactics Ogre's crown. If this is half as good as that (somewhere in the region of Final Fantasy Tactics) then we're golden.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

EDIT: I just looked it up, wow PAL is so much worse. I didn't know any better back in the day but there's no way you should play 50hz F Zero X now....

Yeah I had a PAL N64 back in the day and thought it was great, wasn't until Sin and Punishment came out I got a JP RGB modded unit and was blown away. I think my first non PAL machine was a JP Saturn in 98...until then it was PAL because....

I had no money and was a teenager and the price of entry was a nice RGB compatible telly and money.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

50 dollars for a 3 button megadrive pad that probably has a bill of materials of around 3 dollars tops. That is outrageous!

Put you down for two then?

I can sorta understand the appeal of the N64 controller but the Megadrive pad just seems worse than Retro-bits licensed Megadrive controller apart from having a type c connector for charging. 

It’s probably worth mentioning that with a UK online sub you still get access to all the games on the US and JP NES/SNES apps. If they continue that, you’ll get your 60Hz anyway.

Make a JPN account and download from that region's eShop. If you have an account on the same system with an online sub for another region it'll still allow you to download the Famicom/Super Famicom apps.

I only have NSO on my UK account but was able to grab them at launch. I assume it hasn't changed. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Why would you need to delete the account?

Just wondering how it would work, after dealing with Sony and the Vita I don't want to assume anything about having multiple accounts on a platform. Figured that would be the most extreme example but real world cases would be going on holiday and not having Internet.