IGNORED

Nintendo Direct 23 Sep 2021

SMD

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

See my other post about that.

It's not actually the more modern stick causing problems. N64 emulation on the WiiU was actually terrible. The brightness was screwed. Controls were poorly calibrated. It was a massive shit show compared to the Wii virtual console. F-zero felt fine on that.

7 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

It's not actually the more modern stick causing problems. N64 emulation on the WiiU was actually terrible. The brightness was screwed. Controls were poorly calibrated. It was a massive shit show compared to the Wii virtual console. F-zero felt fine on that.

N64 games do not feel right on a modern stick. You can get it to be okayish but the N64 pad was such a unique thing. I think the actual stick technology was different to modern pads?

I don't get the modern habit of crapping on it and preferring weird modern versions.

It was an evolutionary dead end but a design classic. 

Also: can we have the octagonal gate back, please?

3 minutes ago, kensei said:

N64 games do not feel right on a modern stick. You can get it to be okayish but the N64 pad was such a unique thing. I think the actual stick technology was different to modern pads?

Yeah the N64 stick uses rotating discs and optical sensors, like the ball rollers in old mice.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m in for that N64 pad as well. I played F Zero X on the Wii U game pad recently and the modern style of analog stick just didn’t feel the same. Then on a boys weekend trip away, we got playing it on OG hardware and it was like night and day. I don’t even mind stumping up the likely £40 annual sub + £40 pad RRP to play. It’s F Zero X.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but it's going to be software emulated (lag) using bluetooth controllers (£40 + more laaag) played on a flat screen (more lag). There's a little bit of lag with the WiiU version, paired with the dodgy emu, but I begrudgingly got over it after a few races if was on the game pad (forget the TV though, my last TV was shit).

If you're fine with playing Super Mario Kart on the service under those conditions you might be alright. Did they ever include an option to turn off the annoying overlay with the button reminders?

But yeah you're right, it's F-Zero X. It deserves to be played on an N64 hooked up to a CRT (or at the very least an OSSC).

-----

The state of that casting for the Mario film. Fuck me. I guess James Corden wasn't available so they had to go with Chris Pratt? I highly doubt this one's going to be a surprise hit for the nerds (like Sonic kinda was).

Bayonetta 3 looks... Questionable. Four years that's taken. I think I'll wait for some proper gameplay videos first.

Actually, in terms of visuals (and performance) in general it seems like we've regressed massively from the majestic Super Mario Odyssey. That's four years old now and still the best looking game on the machine.

The Kirby game was my highlight because I couldn't stop staring at those dilapidated environments.

Actraiser HD deserves better art direction than the generic-shiny aesthetic it's been given but nice surprise there. I noticed Yuzo Koshiro contributed new music for the new content so that should be interesting.

Those N64 / MD game selections are excellent but charging extra for access & gouging members for controllers is sadly on-brand for today's Nintendo - even if the games are now all online multiplayer enhanced.

As for F-Zero X - the high peak of the series for me - they're literally going to bring it out on Switch as part of the 'Expansion Pack' but without the actual F-Zero Expansion Pack that 64DD and flashcart owners get to enjoy. 

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

It was fine if you want to keep playing old Nintendo games, whether they’re remasters, collections, roms, etc. but other than the excellent looking Metroid Dread there really isn’t anything much new, and there hasn’t been since last year. There hasn’t been a big Nintendo game since Animal Crossing tbh. 

That's Nintendo tough. They throw you a bone every two years and they know people will be grateful and even excited to pay for a game they've bought seven times already.

2 minutes ago, alex3d said:

That's Nintendo tough. They throw you a bone every two years and they know people will be grateful and even excited to pay for a game they've bought seven times already.

I think next year is looking pretty good actually, and it’s understandable that they may be behind schedule this year.

But bumping the price on their, weirdly named,  ‘Nintendo Online’ service to include N64 games is an absolute piss take, I’d rather just buy the ones I want outright. 

I really don't mind the concept of a Nintendo nostalgia gamepass like service feeding me a regular stream of stuff for a relatively low cost.

Good they specifically called out F Zero X as coming to the N64 catalog, but not in the first set of titles.

Can see the N64 controller being really handy for those games for the full nostalgia hit, but the mega drive one doesn't add much for me, especially as somebody who spent that era being sniffy about everything on that console.

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Weirdly I put on an episode of always sunny in Netflix...and it was the one where Dennis is dressed as Luigi at the Halloween party.

And in other co-inkydink news, this week’s episode of the Backpage podcast is their N64 draft. 

Im not going to kid myself - I’ll go up to the next tier of the online service, and buy the controller. The NES, SNES and Megadrive controllers don’t appeal, because I’ve got 8bitdo replicas - and in the case of the Sega style controller, one with six buttons - but the N64 pad is a no-brained. They have to add Waverace to the service though. Have. To.