No Bake Off thread?

NexivRed

On 22/09/2021 at 10:20, RFT said:

Lizzie must have a big commute if she lives in liverpool and "makes luxury cars", as the only option I can think of is Bentley at Crewe...

That was my initial thought, but I reckon they mean Jaguar / Land Rover in Speke (she mentioned something about living near a Tudor mansion, which is probably Speke Hall). I find her accent annoying, but she has picked her game up from the first week or two, I thought she'd be out by now. 

One thing I have enjoyed about this series is that the challenges have seemingly gone back to basics. Make a sticky toffee pudding etc. The last few series seemed to be obsessed with gimmick challenges of baking something nobody has ever heard of (or would even want to eat).

Makes it even more baffling that Maggie couldn't cope. 

5 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Makes it even more baffling that Maggie couldn't cope. 

She was a solid baker, I reckon she could do a great pudding after a Sunday roast, but she was out of her depth when it came to doing anything inventive or with any kind of fitness. 

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

exceptionally Scouse week

Scouse Pies all round, then? 

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

She was a solid baker, I reckon she could do a great pudding after a Sunday roast, but she was out of her depth when it came to doing anything inventive or with any kind of fitness

Bit harsh. She is getting on a bit. 

15 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Maggie was very much the Dr Hibbert of the bakeoff tent. A bloody irritant from start to finish.

The thing is I realised, towards the end, that what was irritatiing me was the total inability to read an emotional state. The fixed smile, the forced laugh, was absolutely constant throughout. I couldn't tell if anything was sincere or a brave face put on so I assumed she was always stressed out, which stressed me out.

Freya was beginning to grate - every time she was given critique her response was "I wanted it to be like that" even if the comment was "well, this looks like shit" - "that's exactly how I wanted it to look". Grr.

And all delivered in a creaky vocal fry. So annoying.

Let people talk how they want. 

People moaning about vocal fry feels like the next move after moaning about upward inflection or saying like a lot. 

Back into BO. I’m enjoying it. Juergen and Mario have to make it to the final really. They seem the standouts. The Liverpool lady was annoying at first as she seemed to be trying too hard to be a character but she’s picked up a lot the last few weeks. 

It’s our family show of choice with extra slice as an addition thanks to the excellent Tom Allen. 

I like Noel but I’m not a big fan of Lucas. 

58 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Let people talk how they want. 

People moaning about vocal fry feels like the next move after moaning about upward inflection or saying like a lot. 

Back into BO. I’m enjoying it. Juergen and Mario have to make it to the final really. They seem the standouts. The Liverpool lady was annoying at first as she seemed to be trying too hard to be a character but she’s picked up a lot the last few weeks. 

It’s our family show of choice with extra slice as an addition thanks to the excellent Tom Allen. 

I like Noel but I’m not a big fan of Lucas. 

Yeah, Lizzie is definitely growing on me. I like her relationship with Noel - he seems to genuinely find her funny, which is lovely to see.

A massive psychological blow struck for Giuseppe over Jurgen this week, eh? A real power play! Jurgen looked pretty crushed, even though he was trying to hide it. I loved it when Jurgen schooled Paul Hollywood on how the whole concept of the showstopper was bullshit, though. That was ace. Freya was pretty bolshy in terms of saying how she wanted everything she fucked up to look exactly like it did. Oh to be 19 again with that level of misplaced confidence! 

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Freya was pretty bolshy in terms of saying how she wanted everything she fucked up to look exactly like it did. Oh to be 19 again with that level of misplaced confidence! 

That's what bugged me, I found her arrogant and I don't feel it has anything to do with her being 19.

People can talk how they want, and throw in as many 'y'know' 'yeah yeah' 'm'kay' and as much affected vocal fry as they wish, the same privilege exists for people listening and in general really annoying speech patterns or affections don't help you if you want to get across your point or make people listen. 

Probably over thinking the judging process for this but how do you judge somebody who bakes vegan all the time, not just the odd vegan challenge. Do you judge solely on taste (can that weird meringue substitute ever be better than egg whites etc) or do you constantly make an allowance and judge them as good bearing in mind the limitations. That would require you to say this is a 8/10 cake but whilst the vegan one may not taste as good its a 9/10 vegan one. 

Guess it's not an issue any more and we're probably over thinking it.

49 minutes ago, Gotters said:

People can talk how they want, and throw in as many 'y'now' 'yeah yeah' 'm'kay' and as much affected vocal fry as they wish, the same privilege exists for people listening and in general really annoying speech patterns or affections don't help you if you want to get across your point or make people listen. 

Probably over thinking the judging process for this but how do you judge somebody who bakes vegan all the time, not just the odd vegan challenge. Do you judge solely on taste (can that weird merengue substitute ever be better than egg whites etc) or do you constantly make an allowance and judge them as good bearing in mind the limitations. That would require you to say this is a 8/10 cake but whilst the vegan one may not taste as good its a 9/10 vegan one. 

Guess it's not an issue any more and we're probably over thinking it.

I would say that in the case of Bake Off and veganism, the contestant is actively choosing to make things more difficult for themselves and should therefore be judged on the same taste criteria as everyone else. I was just thinking about this in the context of other shows - usually allowances are made when the contestant has no choice over a disadvantage, such as when the Strictly judges are scoring a disabled contestant's dance and so should absolutely bear any limitation they have compared with able-bodied people in mind. Freya's disadvantage, though, was of her own choice... as we can see in the technical challenges where she abides by the recipes and the ingredients within them.

I think a reasonable judge would accept that a vegan bake would have some differences to a non-vegan version, and judge accordingly, just as they won't judge two different sponges by the same criteria.

The most important things of flavour, bake and quality should never change, though. If it's within the baker's control, it's on them.

When are Fielding and Lucas going to be given the boot? They are awful and really ruin my enjoyment of this. 

As for the episode, Freya deservedly went, even though at times it felt like George was trying to fight her for the honour. 

Good on Giuseppe too, I really like him and he put up some lovely looking stuff and he's probably the best baker overall I'd say.

On 20/10/2021 at 11:22, Eighthours said:

I would say that in the case of Bake Off and veganism, the contestant is actively choosing to make things more difficult for themselves and should therefore be judged on the same taste criteria as everyone else. I was just thinking about this in the context of other shows - usually allowances are made when the contestant has no choice over a disadvantage, such as when the Strictly judges are scoring a disabled contestant's dance and so should absolutely bear any limitation they have compared with able-bodied people in mind. Freya's disadvantage, though, was of her own choice... as we can see in the technical challenges where she abides by the recipes and the ingredients within them.

It's a tricky one, but as someone who aspires to be vegan eventually, I'd like them to be trying to win with no provisos in place ideally. It needs to beat the regular stuff (and I reckon for many things that's possible, perhaps not all). If they're going to let a vegan enter the competition though there has to be the belief from the people running the thing that they can win, otherwise the competitiors are on a hiding to nothing from the start. I don't know how much this is the case here - but if they let her enter, she should have had a fair chance of winning.

If that means making allowances in challenges where it may be harder to compete I think I'm OK with that to an extent - just a little wiggle room (otherwise just don't let them enter because it isn't a level playing field). I think a suitable comparison might be to golf, where players of different levels play together with handicaps in place. Allowing a vegan contestant a little slack due to choice of ingredient (rather than lack of skill) seems acceptable to me.

I actually felt sad for her going out, because I liked the sound of what she wanted to make in the showstopper. It did look like a fuck-load of bread/cake and very little of the good stuff in the end though, so she had it coming. Saying that was exactly what she wanted - nope! Not buying that. 

Obvs I know I'll get in trouble with ye forum for this but not unhappy Freya has left (although I had Amanda on my who goes when list for this week). The voice.... Oh that voice. 

Amanda to go next week. Then George. Then Lizzie incidentally.

Love the fact that the final will almost certainly be Chantalle, Jurgen, Pepe. Wish we could have a sign language esque camera on Farage watching and shouting and frothing, silenced, during the last ep :)

3 hours ago, c-cat114 said:

Obvs I know I'll get in trouble with ye forum for this but not unhappy Freya has left (although I had Amanda on my who goes when list for this week). The voice.... Oh that voice. 

Amanda to go next week. Then George. Then Lizzie incidentally.

Love the fact that the final will almost certainly be Chantalle, Jurgen, Pepe. Wish we could have a sign language esque camera on Farage watching and shouting and frothing, silenced, during the last ep :)

He'll be watching TV in the most natural of poses like he always does...

DR6NN6yX0AYK5Dv.jpg_large.jpg

Amanda was so lucky with her showpiece there.

And everyone seems to be forgetting how much messing around Mel & Sue did as hosts.

(I do miss the history/re-enactment/explanations they did - Prue & Paul just discussing what the technical is while tasting it just isn’t the same)

On 23/10/2021 at 20:12, merman said:

Amanda was so lucky with her showpiece there.

And everyone seems to be forgetting how much messing around Mel & Sue did as hosts.

(I do miss the history/re-enactment/explanations they did - Prue & Paul just discussing what the technical is while tasting it just isn’t the same)

Not at all - the difference was Mel & Sue had a warmth to them and were actually amusing sometimes - but even when they weren't it was the kind of stuff you'd have a gentle smile about. Fielding is too try-hard in everything I've ever seen him in (which has only been panel shows/this, admittedly), Lucas is just non-descript. You can see even the contestants don't find them funny (a lot of fake laughs or silence). Honestly, I think they are the worst hosts of anything I have seen, not just because of their painful unfunniness, but because they also just look awkward with each other. I tend to fast-forward where I can now when they are on.

So George has realised that this really matters to him now and he wants to stay in - does that mean he has been deliberately making crap 3 times a week since it started as he couldn't care less before ?

I was surprised that serving up raw pork wasn’t bad enough for him to get the boot this week. Crystelle (sp?) has been firmly in the middle up to this point so it was nice to see her step it up this week.