No Bake Off thread?

NexivRed

Apparently the young vegan lady has already had to delete her social media because she owns a horse etc. 

Tbf, I was like “is she wearing wool?” But I’d never call someone out who was trying their best to do good ffs. 75% vegan is better than fuck all vegan, isn’t it. 

(after seeing pigs slaughtered with CO2 instead of electrocution, I’m tempted tbh..)

Also, cake. 

1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

Apparently the young vegan lady has already had to delete her social media because she owns a horse etc. 

Tbf, I was like “is she wearing wool?” But I’d never call someone out who was trying their best to do good ffs. 75% vegan is better than fuck all vegan, isn’t it. 

(after seeing pigs slaughtered with CO2 instead of electrocution, I’m tempted tbh..)

Also, cake. 

Gutted I only caught the last half of it, but was pleased to see the vegan thing being taken seriously (again, tbh). I'm not vegan, but I manage the odd month here and there. I still buy leather boots, just because I want them to last, so whilst I'm vegetarian (because that applies to diet only) I can't be vegan because that's lifestyle-based. I don't care either way. I just do my best.

Enjoyed the bit I saw. I really liked the Wave with dolphins show-stopper even if it was  bit cheaty and collapsed afterwards, but I fancy Crystelle, so she's my favourite, but Jürgen looks like he might be hard to beat.

I still love Bake-Off, basically...

Some top quality accents this year - Jurgen and Giuseppe are great! Tom couldn't look any more like he owned a Model Railway shop! Fake-Pru needs to tone the laughing down a bit! My partner kept complaining upon seeing each showstopper design that they had fuck-all anti-grav!

Anyway, it's great to have this show back. It's a lot of fun. 

Tom was too young for me to be a model railway shop guy. Manager of a small branch of Games Workshop on the other hand... I think he was a little hard-done by as at least his showstopper worked, even if it lacked some ambition, compared to Jairzeno's car crash.

Guiseppe will definitely go far. there's real precision in his work (as befits an aeronautical engineer). his mini rolls were beautiful.

Jurgen seems such a parody of a sterotypical camp german (playing brass instruments?) that if you wrote a character like that you'd be told to tone it down but there we are.

Annoyingly I think we'll be stuck with prue-lite for weeks, but she annoys me intensely.

Lizzie must have a big commute if she lives in liverpool and "makes luxury cars", as the only option I can think of is Bentley at Crewe...

12 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Also, cake. 

I see it like using plastic. You probably shouldn't be ploughing through loads and loads of disposables like sausages, but if it's going to last like a good pair of shoes it's probably a good trade off against alternatives that may well be worse in some cases. 

26 minutes ago, RFT said:

Annoyingly I think we'll be stuck with prue-lite for weeks, but she annoys me intensely.

Also this Pru joke has already worn thin. She is incredibly annoying. Her showstopper was pretty poor but she has the basics down so she'll last a few weeks until you can no longer get away with below par presentation. There are some others that will get weeded out first though. 

1 hour ago, RFT said:

I'm hoping Pru 2: Pru Harder (Pru Fast Pru Furious?) follows the "old person on bakeoff" archetype and has a solid 3 weeks making flavourless old person bakes and then gets utterly thrown under the bus when Vegan week or Gluten Free week or anything that isn't well made shortbread week rocks up. 

I realise the above reads quite aegist but I didn't take to the lady who doesn't even look that much like Pru at all so that's what I'm hoping for. 

A great cast of characters this year though. Big fan of Jurgen, the northern vegan, Giuseppe, and I started to warm to the scouser that got kidnapped by an Ostritch. Mainly because she told a story about how she got kidnapped by a fucking Ostritch. 

None of the contestants spend long enough on screen at a time to annoy me, so I haven't taken a dislike to anyone.

I still think it's a bit cruel to have them make something unnecessarily elaborate (the show stopper bit is my least favourite section) for the last challenge then have them carry the thing across 20 feet of tent space.  Also malt loaf is crap.

I don't think much of the current crop thus far.

Old lady - intensely annoying. I don't want to see her pale gums or hear anymore posh chuntering.

Crystelle - I feel bad for saying it, but she is the token hot one that is middlingly talented and has something to augment the talent (on this case she has the 'unusual flavours' thing from her heritage). Makes it to the final third barring a total fuck up.

Giuseppe - finalist. Talented baker, has the out of the box background to put it some interesting takes on things, and the engineering profile to cope with the daft stuff.

Scouse girl - too much. The 'big personality' that goes out in the first 4 episodes.

German bloke - the quiet camp German thing is meant to be a stereotype but nope, there he is. Brass instruments, he even comes from the Black Forest, he's not far off coming in with lederhosen and a stein. He's also got the bushiest eyebrows I've ever seen outside of film. Final 5.

Everyone else is very bleh so far. Also why was the Brummie girl the only one they didn't say was 'from' anywhere?

On 22/09/2021 at 10:20, RFT said:

Lizzie must have a big commute if she lives in liverpool and "makes luxury cars", as the only option I can think of is Bentley at Crewe...

Jaguar in Halewood I'm guessing.

They are literally always a bunch of stereotypes. How much are they forced to have the perfect selection? I was literally looking around for “the weird girl” and low and behold, a brightly coloured knitted sweater vest comes on the screen. 

It’s like they tick a list every series. Black, Asian, fat, old, nerd, attractive, camp.
I bet there are enough that qualify best for the entire group to just be old or Middle Eastern or something. But they’re forced to do this predictable diversity that just somehow doesn’t come across as inclusive, (obviously very important.) But it’s more gimmicky than anything else to me. 

On 22/09/2021 at 15:39, BoggyB said:

None of the contestants spend long enough on screen at a time to annoy me, so I haven't taken a dislike to anyone.

I still think it's a bit cruel to have them make something unnecessarily elaborate (the show stopper bit is my least favourite section) for the last challenge then have them carry the thing across 20 feet of tent space.  Also malt loaf is crap.

I know it’s cynical but

- that’s all down to the edit, they pick out a couple of contestants who are going to be in trouble and then there is a focus on their moments. Once you spot that it’s harder to watch.

- I feel the same about Masterchef, which is even more inconsistent because for some challenges they have waiters/waitresses and not others. Bake Off mixes it up too, with the judges moving around to the contestants’ benches for the first challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of a German baking science robot joylessly smashing the more emotive competition who bake from the heart.  We're absolutely rooting for Herman or as we've now dubbed him "Üter the baking computer".

Crystelle's focaccia sounded amazing, even if it didn't rise properly. Feta, roasted grape*, walnut and a few fennel bits - yowzer!

I could do with a big plate of those breadsticks (done well) right now too - they sounded amazing. 

But yeah - Giuseppe was brilliant there. 

*I'm going to have to try roasting grapes - I've seen it mentioned a few times in the last few months. I usually just freeze them - love a frozen grape.

Much like the recent series of Celeb Masterchef on BBC the standard in this is so low that I feel like I'm wasting my time watching and will probably ditch this like I did Masterchef.

With Aussie Masterchef being shown nightly on Watch at the moment (sky 109 I think) which is of a super high level and really putting the contestants thru the ringer I just don't have the inclination to watch this low quality stuff being prepared.

Fielding and Lucas make this such a hard watch, because they are terribly unfunny (the little skits they try to do are extreme cringe) and poor presenters to boot. They have no charisma, bumble their lines and generally try too hard.

Also, like @Gotters, Masterchef Australia is my go to cooking show (only just started the current season) and the food they put out in incredible - certainly puts some undercooked breadsticks to shame.

With that said though, they do serve different audiences. Masterchef is more about wanting to make a career at a high level, this is quite a bit less serious and I don't mind the concept and execution because whereas Masterchef is about creating delicious and smart looking food, Bake Off is about having more fun with it - and I do like seeing the creations the Showstoppers spawn. 

56 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Maggie with an all time classic failure this week. Glad to see the back of her - so far out of her depth it makes you question the selection process. 

Imagine having your baby delivered by Maggie. You’re the most stressed you’ve ever been in your entire life, and then there it is, a never-ending sound, a demonic horror that will never leave you: ‘HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…’

How she’s never been murdered by an expectant mother, I’ll never know.

I’m surprised she isn’t in that fucking annoying new McDonalds ad.

Anyway, it was a good week for Freya and Amanda to screw up. Never any doubt over Maggie getting her marching orders. I almost couldn’t breathe after seeing her sticky toffee puddings, they were so funny!

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Maggie with an all time classic failure this week. Glad to see the back of her - so far out of her depth it makes you question the selection process. 

I was gritting my teeth every week hearing 'I'm doing a traditional XXXX - no sense in changing things'.

Fuck's sake. 

On 22/09/2021 at 12:02, BitterToad said:

I'm hoping Pru 2: Pru Harder (Pru Fast Pru Furious?) follows the "old person on bakeoff" archetype and has a solid 3 weeks making flavourless old person bakes and then gets utterly thrown under the bus when Vegan week or Gluten Free week or anything that isn't well made shortbread week rocks up. 

Congratulations. You absolutely called it, to the exact week.