IGNORED

Genres that are surprisingly hard to find

Doctor Shark

Detective games rely on a few things to work:

1 - an understandable, easy to follow internal logic that presents the puzzles and clues in relatable ways that people can easily pick up and react to rather than being too abstruse 

2 - decent puzzles to work out

3 - good writing

4 - players smart enough to play through them

Now you know why there aren’t many :lol:

17 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Detective games rely on a few things to work:

1 - an understandable, easy to follow internal logic that presents the puzzles and clues in relatable ways that people can easily pick up and react to rather than being too abstruse 

2 - decent puzzles to work out

3 - good writing

4 - players smart enough to play through them

Now you know why there aren’t many :lol:

Then they chuck in a load of rubbish tailing missions for no good reason (see both LA Noire and the two Judgment games). It’s simply not fun.

Detective games are unfortunately susceptible to the problem that plagued early point n clicks badly; if you don't understand the one particular way of solving the puzzle then you often can't proceed. 

Blade runner by Westwood back in the day did it one of the best in regards to being able to miss clues and get the criminal wrong. 

Most detective games are ostensibly pretty linear which I think is part of the problem. Obra dinn is a very interesting take on it and I hope there's not only a sequel to that but something 'more'.

On 24/12/2021 at 14:59, Benny said:

The music in Streets of Rage 4 is absolutely brilliant. It's also a better game than Streets of Rage 2. Just had to clear that up for the holidays.

Well it doesn't matter. It depends what you value more. I think 4 is more fluid and responsive and in a way that might even make the 90s games feel sluggish in comparison when returning to them, and I like the combo build up although going for higher ranks the combo being easily broken by a random punch is frustrating and I'd prefer to be able to block. Which might make it too easy. 

I got a lot of play out of it and the immediacy of just endlessly punching enemies is satisfying, the developers really knew what game they were making and that's why I think people rate it so highly. 

I find the music too extroverted and loud, just not to my tastes. I didn't play any of the game noticing or liking the music, listening to it on YouTube now I might as well be hearing it for the first time, none of it was memorable. The Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack is far more cool and detached and so good I never expected 4 to come near it. But still tonally it's different. 

The visual style is obviously pretty but still too slick for Streets of Rage for me. There is a grit to pixels I like. I think Streets of Rage 2 does everything it could have done on the megadrive at the time but 4 isn't pushing so much what a modern game like this could be.

17 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

none of it was memorable

This is just mystifying to me. The soundtrack is weaved into the build-up of each level and evolves as you play. It's brilliantly done. The biker bar level is one of the best examples. Play that level on a good sound system with the bass cranked up and maybe you'll get it.

14 hours ago, Benny said:

This is just mystifying to me. The soundtrack is weaved into the build-up of each level and evolves as you play. It's brilliantly done. The biker bar level is one of the best examples. Play that level on a good sound system with the bass cranked up and maybe you'll get it.

I’ve only seen gameplay videos but some of the transitions in the tunes feel like witchcraft, with things changing up at just the right moments. It’s nuts.