IGNORED

Squid Game

PK

Finished it now.

Spoiler

I liked that it went a bit different than survival games usually go, with them getting out and then going back in. Though for all the tattoo guy saying he wanted to steal the prize, he went nowhere with that. I was hoping there might be an attempted heist angle growing from that. And the police guy catching wind and infiltrating. But that ended up a bit of a damp squid, unfortunately. I did think he would find his brother was either a red guy or, as it went on, the black guy.

I was suspicious of the old man all along. Especially during the night attack when he started his proclamation from atop the pile and the people running it stopped the attack at that point. Then I was pretty sure he was running the show. And after all the people getting shot, he got shot out of sight.

In the last episode, I would have had:

Spoiler

Gi-hun blowing loads of the money and leading the life he thought he wanted before the games, until something happens that makes him feel the guilt that has been building up inside him. The meeting with 001 and then the ending could have followed on from there. I think that would have been more interesting than him being totally depressed for ages. It would have been cool for him to try to forget the horrors that happened to him but ultimately have them consume him. There was no 'victory' moment in the episode, which I think was a problem. Sure, the 'everything's fucked' message of the show is great, but having the main character trying to pretend that everything's OK for a while would have been good.

Season 2 should absolutely be about him going back for round 2, but rather than him trying to expose the people behind the game - which I think is all well and good, I'm not complaining about that - it would be interesting for him to go back primarily because he realises that his life has no meaning without the competition. Also, please can someone English co-direct any English language scenes in the next season.

44 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

Just finished this last night in two sittings. Enjoyed it immensely.

Reveal hidden contents

Episode 6 though!

😮😕☹️😟😥😠😡🤬

I also finished it last night, agree with your reaction to ep 6!

Spoiler

#001 turning out to be behind it all was hard to take! Overall, I loved it.

Have watched 4 episodes and am starting to regret letting my almost-14-year-old watch it. It’s getting nastier by the episode. 

He’s a mature kid, but it’s on a different level to the Robocops and Nightbreeds I watched underage as a kid. 

On 14/10/2021 at 22:19, Timmo said:

This was so shit and overlong. I honestly don't understand all the fuss.

It also has incredibly shit acting.

There are quite a few criticisms you can level at this, but the acting isn't really one of them, unless you're talking about the VIPs.

Were you watching it dubbed or something? 

I thought the acting in this was fantastic. As others have said the Nicolas Cage-esque performance from the curly haired woman was brilliant.

Finished watching it.

I don't know why but I watched the dubbed version (I usually never ever do that for foreign cinema/TV)

Some of the dubbed voice acting in as just fucking atrocious. 

Also, I was pissing myself laughing whenever the old man spoke. Everyone has an American accent (and one Pakistani/Indian)and then the old guy has a stereotypical "old Asian guy" voice. And it sounded exactly like Master Tang from Kung Pow. 🤣

One thing I don't get regarding one of the games and the asshole tattoo guy...

Spoiler

The marbles game. After he won the throwing marble game it was then 1-1 with the guy he played. But the other guy was killed.Did i miss something?

Another thing I don't totally get and may have missed something *Major end spoiler

Spoiler

So the front man and the cop are brothers. So what was the end goal? Did the front man just not like his brother? Did he give him a kidney? What was going on between them? Was the front man an ex winner?

The show was ok. Entertaining enough and a bit stupid but with some horrific acting and writing but I enjoyed it. 

Really liked the lead. Very likeable. 

If there is another season I will make I don't make the mistake of watching the dubbed version. Hate myself for doing that. 

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

One thing I don't get regarding one of the games and the asshole tattoo guy...

Hide contents

The marbles game. After he won the throwing marble game it was then 1-1 with the guy he played. But the other guy was killed.Did i miss something?

Spoiler

It wasn't 1-1. The aim wasn't to see who gets their marble in the hole the most often. The aim was to take all the other person's marbles. When you get a marble in the hole, you get to take all the marbles on the field until the other person has none left to play. He took all the other guy's marbles, so won.

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

It wasn't 1-1. The aim wasn't to see who gets their marble in the hole the most often. The aim was to take all the other person's marbles. When you get a marble in the hole, you get to take all the marbles on the field until the other person has none left to play. He took all the other guy's marbles, so won.

But...

Spoiler

The guy took all his marbles in the first game?

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

There are quite a few criticisms you can level at this, but the acting isn't really one of them, unless you're talking about the VIPs.

Were you watching it dubbed or something? 

I thought the acting in this was fantastic. As others have said the Nicolas Cage-esque performance from the curly haired woman was brilliant.

I didn't watch the dubbed version, no. Obviously the VIPs but I thought most of the others were bad as well, and especially her.

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I didn't watch the dubbed version, no. Obviously the VIPs but I thought most of the others were bad as well, and especially her.

She was heeling it up. She played heel excellently given how much she pissed everyone off.

25 minutes ago, Isaac said:

She was heeling it up. She played heel excellently given how much she pissed everyone off.

Ah she was meant to be shit and irritating. In that case they should have got Jan from my office, she's annoying as fuck

12 hours ago, Ry said:
  Hide contents

How do you delete a quoted spoiler?

Another thing I don't totally get and may have missed something *Major end spoiler

Hide contents

So the front man and the cop are brothers. So what was the end goal? Did the front man just not like his brother? Did he give him a kidney? What was going on between them? Was the front man an ex winner?

Spoiler

The Front Man was the cop’s brother, and the winner in 2015. Presumably he got sucked back in to the games, on the other side. He’s now so involved in it he’d shoot his own brother :(

Given that a year had passed and the game is still running, I’m guessing the cop’s message didn’t get through and he didn’t survive. Unless they’re going to pull something like he survived somehow and has been in some sort of deep cover investigation since. Highly unlikely.

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

Hide contents

Given that a year had passed and the game is still running, I’m guessing the cop’s message didn’t get through and he didn’t survive. Unless they’re going to pull something like he survived somehow and has been in some sort of deep cover investigation since. Highly unlikely.

This will definitely happen if they do a season 2. 

Finished it last night, overall very enjoyable.

It wasn't too shocking for me overall, I've experienced other South Korean films over the years, smattered with humour, emotion and just out of the blue ultraviolence and gore!

If anyone wants any further recommendations, you can't beat the Vengeance films from Park Chan-wook, especially the incredible OldBoy and Mr Vengeance.

I read that Netflix and other streamers are now looking East for further entertainment, if this is going to bring a wave of Far Eastern stuff including classic Martial arts stuff, then I can't wait - its such a refreshing difference to the staid Hollywood machine