IGNORED

Squid Game

PK

51 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

All I can say is Alice took me a few weeks to get through, but I ploughed through this in two sittings. I feel that the social commentary and larger questions this show poses are far more interesting than Alice, which I enjoyed but didn’t immediately want to discuss it with fellow viewers. 

Yes, I’ve walloped through this since Friday, I have to keep eking it out.

Spoiler

Ugh. Last episode totally ruined it for me. Didn’t like anything that happened. 

Didn’t like the fact he left the kid in the orphanage for a year. 
Didn’t like the fact there was no mention of kid’s mum.

Didn’t like the fact he didn’t use the money to sort out moving to the US to start over with joint custody of his daughter. 

Did NOT like lovely old man coming back to be sadistic, bored rich guy who controlled the whole thing. I thought it was poorly scripted and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Disagree slightly.

Spoiler

To me it just showed that he was traumatised by the events that happened and didn't really know how to move on till a year later. Then he sees the game being played at the station again and decides that he wants to try and bring them down (maybe).

I've just finished episode 6.

The whole thing has some great moments but there's some absolute shit around it too. It's decent but not getting the hype.

Spoiler

The Detective angle I really don't care about. Bar the lead and the old man, I also don't (or didn't care) for any of the others. It's kinda desperately wanting you to feel for them but I'm not really arse.

4 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

I've just finished episode 6.

The whole thing has some great moments but there's some absolute shit around it too. It's decent but not getting the hype.

Reveal hidden contents

The Detective angle I really don't care about. Bar the lead and the old man, I also don't (or didn't care) for any of the others. It's kinda desperately wanting you to feel for them but I'm not really arse.

I think Ali and the duplicitous brother character are great but I totally agree about the detective subplot. I was far less invested in that and it slowed things up. Not to mention it felt preposterous (although I accept the entire premise is farfetched).

Having said that, this is brilliant. The imaginative ways they (mostly) overcome the games is thrilling.

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

:o

Not my choice but sometimes when your drinking Rioja you can't read the subtitles. 

And the better half doesn't mind a dub. And I have to be honest. Things have moved on since the 70's now and they have very good voice actors performing it. 

Enjoyed this a lot, the games had strategy and it got me invested in a lot of the characters. Guessed a lot of the over-arching twists and storyline - but that's honestly a good thing as it means it laid those breadcrumbs out.

Anyway if you like this I strongly suggest watching Kaiji - incredibly similar premise (to the point where I wouldn't have been surprised if this was an adaption) and it's absolutely fantastic! There's even a quirky little spin-off series showing the struggles of the people who run the games trying to appease their bloodthirsty boss.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/kaiji

Edit: (Start with ultimate survivor - it's probably not clear if you don't know but that's season 1)

Spoiler

Also - what is it with returning players dying their hair red?

ea333ec6eb7e5eda7b819f85b2c8374e.gif.d87c3f7c6db9798644e93930e2de5f40.gif

1 hour ago, memories said:

4 episodes in and not sure what all the hype is about really.

It's entertaining enough but not exactly gripping.

Yeah I thought it was very watchable (I did watch the whole thing after all) but must say I'm a bit confused by all the hype. Felt each episode was at least 10-20 mins too long because some scenes just dragged out forever (e.g. when it took the protagonist like 10 mins to chose a number from 1-16). Whilst I enjoyed episode 6, I was definitely expecting more after all the hype. I was waiting for some Red Wedding moment and then it just ended. And the VIPs were just the worst 🤦🏻‍♂️ And to be honest I didn't care about a single character apart from Ali. 

But, it was fine, and realise I am in the minority here! 

I jumped on the hype train and finished it today. Really enjoyed it, it's not the best or original show ever, but its a very good and fun twist on the formula. The acting and characters are great, its also a visual treat. I was suprised that for a fair bit of the show the main attraction isn't the focus, which was a nice change, and worked because the characters and drama outside were enjoyable to watch too. I can't say I was super invested in the fates of the characters, but it had some great moments and it was more about wondering what would happen next. For me the highlight was episode 6 which although featured one of the simpler setups, had such great character parts and acting, it was really moving at times.

Whole series spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

People above were moaning about the detective side story. I thought it was a refreshing change from the standard death game scenario, to have someone infiltrating the staff of the game. That side of it was really interesting and cool, at least at first. That arc goes downhill as it carries on though, especially towards the end. As soon as we found out the guy's brother won the game I guessed his brother was the Front Man, as I'm sure plenty of others did. Its too easy to predict, the only character on the bad guys side who isn't a nameless goon was bound to have some significance to the story and we know he was still alive and living until recently because of the apartment. Its a pretty obvious twist, although I wasn't expecting the detective to go down!

I do agree about the VIPs. Aside from the cliched and cheesy presentation of them, it spoiled the atmosphere of the games they were spectating as they commentated along.

For me the highlight performances were Seong Gi-Hun (main dude) and Oh Il Nam (the old guy). Just brilliant. I also liked Abdul Ali and Kang Sae-Byeok (the north korean girl). The criminal guy and his girlfriend were great entertainment as well. 

I really liked the final twist in the last episode of the true origin of the game, great little moment and I definitely didn't see it coming!

Overall I definitely recommend this, even if you're bored of the setting there's plenty more to appreciate than that. I watched it in Korean with subtitles and found that to be fine, although on Netflix be sure to change your subtitles to without Closed Caption (CC), or it will caption all the ambient noises and music as well.

23 hours ago, Retroid said:

Enjoyed this a lot, the games had strategy and it got me invested in a lot of the characters. Guessed a lot of the over-arching twists and storyline - but that's honestly a good thing as it means it laid those breadcrumbs out.

Anyway if you like this I strongly suggest watching Kaiji - incredibly similar premise (to the point where I wouldn't have been surprised if this was an adaption) and it's absolutely fantastic! There's even a quirky little spin-off series showing the struggles of the people who run the games trying to appease their bloodthirsty boss.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/kaiji

Edit: (Start with ultimate survivor - it's probably not clear if you don't know but that's season 1)

Hide contents

Also - what is it with returning players dying their hair red?

ea333ec6eb7e5eda7b819f85b2c8374e.gif.d87c3f7c6db9798644e93930e2de5f40.gif

Is the movie version of Kaiji on Netflix still?

Animal  World! I want to say with the random casting of Michael Douglas. 

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81004470?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=81037991

I also recommend it. 

I loved Squid Game throughout and look forward to this Halloween being filled with Pink Boiler Suits instead of Harley Quinns. 

Edited by Arn X Treme
Corrected movie name and added link!

9 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

Is the movie version of Kaiji on Netflix still?

It's not on UK but honestly they're a world apart. It's not a terrible movie but it's not great either. It's definitely worth investing the time into the series!

Yeah did a bit of binging this weekend! Really enjoyed it.

I actually quite liked a lot of the characters. ep6 was a bit 🤧

spoilered just in case.

Spoiler

One thing i was hoping it would explain is who the masked guys were. I thought maybe it was revealed they were all the past winners or perhaps they were in a similar position to the contestants in that they were chosen to be part of the crew.

Where did all the money come from? the VIPS? (this seemed a little late to the story IMO - was the black market stuff being done secretly? was this were the money was coming from?

The ending twist was a little bit meh but overal i loved it. Sounds like if there is a S2 it's far, far off though. This feels like it only needs one season but if they do make a second then i hope they don't just have a restread of s1.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

I think if you poke it too hard the story doesn’t really hold up at all - no way would they have spent all that money and effort on it for a start, but you have to go just with it.

Yes! without me wanting it to in the last episode my brain kept spoiling it for me

Spoiler

Imagine depositing all that money in an account, would need a v good explanation of where it came from. (£28.2 million)

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/anti-money-laundering-laws-and-regulations/korea

The ending I would have preferred:

Spoiler

He re-enters the game

11 minutes ago, Jonnysaxc said:

Yes! without me wanting it to in the last episode my brain kept spoiling it for me

Hide contents

Imagine depositing all that money in an account, would need a v good explanation of where it came from. (£28.2 million)

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/anti-money-laundering-laws-and-regulations/korea

The ending I would have preferred:

Hide contents

He re-enters the game

Well that I could rationalise, as if they are that rich, connected and crooked they could have wangled the bank account somehow. However…

Spoiler

…what the hell was thingybob’s mom going to do with that suitcase of £14M in cash?!? She can’t put that in a bank, maybe she sticks it under the sofa? :sherlock: