"The Way My Kid Plays Video Games Pisses Me Off"

DeDeDe

1 minute ago, Anne Summers said:

My opinion is still that video game makers have always built their business model on exploiting children, getting them hooked on their products and parting them from their money (or nagging their parents for money that they can be parted from). 

I think you can tell from my above post that, on a certain level, I agree with you. But could you look Miyamoto in the eye and tell him his work is basically no different to Roblox?

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Or just let kids enjoy what they enjoy instead of trying to force feed them your own youth with regimented video games and making them watch the Star Wars films is some convoluted order. Lord knows most of our parents are from a generations that have enough issues, but at least they weren’t making us consume Just William, or whatever media they liked as kids, like it was a religious doctrine.

Have you ever visited rllmuk before?

1 hour ago, Sane said:

How's that being a twat? I don't force anyone to do anything.

Twatty snobby attitude towards games and what people are allowed to enjoy or could be considered ‘valid’. Ain’t gat time fo dat shiiiiiiit! Angry gamer dude snobs are the worst, total blight on the industry. Misguided notion that there won’t be quality games unless for their insipid crusade. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Roblox has been exposed to be a platform underpinned by pernicious, exploitative practices. What’s wrong with wanting your children to steer clear from it?

What the fuck has that got to do with the subject matter. And with all due respect (IE LITTLE), if you don’t have kids, your opinion on what your kids should play is less than invalid, it’s like some black hole effect shit that sucks energy and light away from the world.

I see the Miyamoto/Roblox comparison has already been dug up. Jesus Christ, what a depressing, shitty string of posts. 

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

By being concerned and wanting your kid to not get exposed to shit like Roblox (Google it) you're a twat? Interesting definition.

“Google it”

How many game playing kids do you have Alex3D? How many hours have you put into the Roblox platform. Do you think Roblox is one game? Do you think Minecraft is the same game as it was at launch something like 13 years ago?

”Google it”

*insert appropriate rude words here, you choose.*

6 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Twatty snobby attitude towards games and what people are allowed to enjoy or could be considered ‘valid’. Ain’t gat time fo dat shiiiiiiit! Angry gamer dude snobs are the worst, total blight on the industry. Misguided notion that there won’t be quality games unless for their insipid crusade. 

Well I think you are doing a lot of projecting there. I merely expressed how I felt about seeing kids play those kind of games, there were no mentions of crusades, anger or anything like that. I think you should take step back and look at how you're reacting, completely over the top. There's an interesting discussion to be had here but this really doesn't contribute to it.

1 minute ago, Popo said:

I like your post on this forum Stiff, but you’ve taken a shit in your own trousers here. 

Get fucked mate I don’t give a slice of shit whether I’m validated by your fucking light shining wisdom opinion. This is about kids and games - two subjects, one of which you know about and one, you fucking don’t know the first fucking thing about (presumption on my part to be fair). Why not try reading and absorbing opinions or something, learning, that’s it. Learning from other people that might know. Instead of the worthy crusade against non Nintendo stuff. Jesus can’t wait for the next chapter of this shit, it’s coming, and I predict it will be “why do you love shit like Roblox so much?” 

Tiresome as fuck. Are you all just here for a Friday argument or do you genuinely think you are right on some strange plane of existence?

3 minutes ago, Sane said:

Well I think you are doing a lot of projecting there. I merely expressed how I felt about seeing kids play those kind of games, there were no mentions of crusades, anger or anything like that. I think you should take step back and look at how you're reacting, completely over the top. There's an interesting discussion to be had here but this really doesn't contribute to it.

The old semi offended “I can’t believe you are so worked up about this, over the top.” 

“you’re ruining our interesting discussion”

Lol you literally said it “breaks your heart” to see kids playing iPad games. 

That sound in the distance, it’s a squadron of roflcopters. 

“Breaks my heart!” 

😭🤣😂

Roblox naturally falls out of favour as your kids get older because "it's for kids" by the time secondary school comes around. A guilty secret to be enjoyed out of sight of their peers. Then it's all about Minecraft or Fortnite, until that too becomes "for the kids" oh and "full of sweats" and gets pushed aside for the more "adult" content of Apex...

I let my kids play pretty much whatever they wanted (within reason) my eldest (she's 26) likes retro games, old DS and GameCube games. My middle daughter (18) found her niche in action adventure games and Persona, my youngest (13) is much more about online gaming, Apex and Dead by Daylight and Grounded and Minecraft. But never Fortnite or Roblox - they're for kids.

Minecraft seems to be a stayer though. 

3 hours ago, Haribokart said:

Teach your child that anybody who can’t appreciate 60fps is worse than Hitler.

This is very insensitive to compare videogames to an event of that nature. 

On topic, my kids are terrible at any videogame that is not a tablet game. My son is 7, when I was his age I was completing stuff like sonic the hedgehog,he can't even do level one!!

It's all just shit arguments from nostalgia, gaming would be a far better place if everyone just treated everything as valid (yes that includes platforms like mobile that you don't have nostalgia for, gammons) and stopped basing all their arguments on when their brain was young and plastic.

34 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

That sound in the distance, it’s a squadron of roflcopters. 

I did a little splutter and  bit of cornflake milk escaped down my chin at this point.

😆

If I'm shitty with my kids playing games it's usually out of impatience. "Press A... No you've... You pressed B. You need to... No, because you pressed B then A, so now you're in a different... do you want me to just get you in to the game? No? Okay. Press A. No you've pressed X..."

etc. 

Watching my 4 year old play Donut county. Move the hole up to an object. Overshoot. Move it back. Overshoot. Move it again. Overshoot. I started twitching, felt my wrists start to ache like some kind of sympathetic RSI phenomenon.

My contribution - on topic - is that yeah the way my first kid played video games pissed me off. The games he played, the way he played, so frustrating I couldn’t watch sometimes, because I don’t want to be sitting there biting my lip and him feeling like he’s a bad player (he was tho). My dreams of us playing 2 player stuff (that I wanted/chose obv) together went up in smoke. But you know, it makes the times we do play together all the more special. And now he is awesome at games, really pleasing to me as I’m also a ‘high skill’ player at certain games (jesus that sounds wanky), but just different games from me.

And yes I’ve played through BoTW with both my boys. But aside from steering them somewhat towards the stuff that’s probably a better example of what they wanted to play where appropriate, I wouldn’t dream of policing their gaming in any Roblox breaks my hart like if u cry evrytime way. We play retro stuff too just not regularly or like, they aren’t on some gaming apprentice program where I dictate the titles they play. But yeah Mega Bomberman is a good one, and SNES SF2 Turbo but they play for long enough and start arguing about unfair tactics and who’s go it is and I can’t be dealing with that. 

Minecraft is the main platform for kids these days it seems. And really things have never been better in terms of availability of quality and quantity of games. Xbox Game pass 🙏

0C820AD6-7B09-46BE-BA71-65C6648435B7.jpeg

Telling your kids the thing they love is shit is not cool. 

My 8 year old loves Roblox and of course I watch him play it and wonder why on earth he would want to play it instead of BoTW but he’s 8 and he loves what he loves. 

You learn pretty quickly as a Dad that what you love is inherently uncool anyway. When I tried to get my eldest to listen to Eric B or Kool Keith instead of the unmitigated shit that passes for hip hop these days or when they both looked at me blankly when I tried to get them to watch Raiders instead of whatever shiny Godzilla movie is out this week. It’s still just stuff from 30 or 40 years ago that “Dad likes, the fucking loser”

Just let them do their thing and support them, it’s such a minuscule section of their life. Their interactions with you and the fact that you are passionate about something, anything, will have way more impact on them than a videogame. 

I introduce my 9 year old to various games, sometimes he loves them (Tony Hawk 1 & 2) and other times he bounces off (need for speed hot pursuit remake). That's cool with me, and he usually reverts back to his staples of Minecraft, Forza Horizon 4 and FIFA. 

He's also got a android tablet full of games and a subscription to the Amazon kids thing (gamepass for Amazon). I think they almost entirely shit and I can see his stress levels rise when playing them as they are often so broken and full of adverts, hence encouraging 'proper' games on the Xbox or Switch. These are a lot less stressful as they generally just work. 

I keep him away from online titles such as Fortnite and Roblox, but only because I'm shielding him from the toxic world of online gaming and the addictive nature of them. 

Having two kids a long way apart in age is quite interesting - the older one (nearly 18) isn’t interested in games anymore but used to regularly kick my arse at Injustice on the 360, and loves the Raiders films. We used to watch Adventure Time, Chowder, and Regular Show together too. The younger one has no interest in TV shows at all, and pretty much exclusively watches Youtube content, some of which is genuinely awful, but some of which is quite educational. He has a Switch Lite and plays a bit of Goose Game, but is more often to be found playing something on the tablet. I haven’t really introduced him to the Xbox yet though, as I think he would get frustrated with the complexity of the controllers. He does like a bit of retro gaming on the Pi though, like Golden Axe 2 and a lot of those scrolling beat’em ups because the mechanics are a lot simpler.

My son ( 11 yesterday ) splits time between fortnite and roblox which he has been playing with for about 4-5 years now. Roblox seems more of a social thing to him, most of his class plays and they seem to use it mainly as a chat room as well as playing a bit - He still has a lot of fun with it, which is surprising to me as he is amazing at fortnite a seemingly far more complex game. 

Regarding Roblox, I think part of the success is how accessible it is. You can play it on any device and it's totally cross platform, so most of his friends can access it together.

We have a PS5 and he wanted to play FIFA with his mates, but one of them has PS4 ( no PS+ ) the others  XBOX somethings then some switch users...so it's a no go.

I did enjoy our time together playing Mario Kart on the wii u, and he loved playing  breath of the wind and the mario games on switch with me, but alas I think those days are pretty much over. 

Doesn't piss me off that he plays games at all. But I do dictate that we have to balance it with other physical activities. 

So we go and play football together weekend mornings, go running ( he did his first 5k last week ) and most recently do some workouts together at home. He'd happily not do this stuff if I didn't insist, but it's having clear benefits on him, and i'm sure he'll appreciate it one day :)

My kid is nearly 7 and plays all the big popular kids games. Roblox, Minecraft, Fortnite (usually with me - I hate the game, but it's good father son time). I've never tried to influence his gaming at all, although I think Roblox is fucking awful for reasons too long to list here. He wouldn't understand them anyway and nor would it be fair to expect him to. I try to keep an eye on his Roblox time though, cos just like YouTube, there's some dark stuff to be stumbled upon there.

He does enjoy classic Mario and Sonic, but he just wants to play what is talked about in the playground, just how I wanted to play Double Dragon and Golden Axe over pong and breakout. 

Minecraft is amazing though, despite being made by a nob. A fantastic tool for kids.

I was a bit like this. My kid got into FIFA and I used to watch him play complete with 'advice'. He did something really silly and I was like "what are you doing?!" then he lost his temper at me and shouted "Why do you care?!"

I was ashamed and felt bad and I was right to be ashamed and feel bad.

I talk to my kids about games like I talk to anyone about games. I like to know what they like and why, and I tell them why I like or don't like whatever games. They're both keen fortnite players. I don't really like the battle royale type of game, but I like watching them play, sometimes I help them with challenges, or play creative games with them. I have a picture of my daughter celebrating her first victory royale and i'm honestly bursting with pride thinking about it. We usually watch the season closer events and big in-game gigs as a family! I think the whole fortnite ecosystem is exploitative but also amazing. It's so ... comprehensive or something. It's huge. It's been mostly positive - they play with school friends, make new friends, learn how to co-operate. Sometimes there's blazing rows about it, but that's family life.

They do play other games - my daughter plays animal crossing and my son has put hours and hours into lego games. He unlocked every minifigure in one of the marvel games, which . Also shitty iphone games with ads, but honestly I quite like some of them too.