IGNORED

Clive Sinclair has died

theredstar

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The day after I moved to Cambridge, I saw someone riding a C5 down King's Parade. (I swear to God, an actual working C5, just pottering off somewhere.) I took this as a powerful positive omen.

I was in a National Express coach taking the roundabout at Hyde Park corner. I looked down, out of the window, and there was someone in a C5 just off the rear wheel doing the same. Insanity or nerves of steel? A bit of both, I think.

As a 12 year old, a couple of years shy of being allowed to drive a C5, I was utterly convinced it was going to be the biggest thing ever and in just two short years Id have saved enough pocket money.  

What with this and also Norm McDonald yesterday I feel really sad right now.

Growing up in Dundee as a kid in the early 80s everyone had a speccy as they made them in the old Timex factory so lots of them went out "the back door" in the staffs lunchboxes... My cousin's worked there and while others were still pounding the rubber key models of 48k we always had the + models and way before you even saw them in the shops. I remember the +2 128k models where you could load the whole of games like target renegade and play it without loading each level as a game changer.

I was Commodore all the way (Vic 20 , C64, various miggys) but my mate back in the day had a Spectrum, and so i played on it loads. After 20 years in the industry, looking back it was so important to the Britsh scene. Monty Mole and Manic Miner and all sorts of stuff that was quintessentially British came about because of him. Absolute legend.

Also, I lived in a seaside town with a large promenade. Someone was were hiring out C5s to tourists so they could drive up and down it, and making a mint. (I remember one guy showing off to his mates on a scorching hot day, going as fast as he could, then slamming the brakes on to skid. Probably not the first time he'd done it. Just when he did it this time both the tyres burst). I definitely wouldn't want to be in one on the road, but the idea of electric vehicles/bicycles was ahead of its time.

What a guy.

If he had invented the C5 now it would be all over Instagram influencers in London and Cali.

RIP you crazy genius.

May your funeral be a colour clashing multi-load affair.

RIP

Very much a Sinclair house ours, ZX81, Spectrum, Spectrum +2, Spectrum +3 and even the wee TV, good times.

Watching my bro typing in 10,000 lines of code from a magazine to then realise there was a mistake somewhere, rulers were not used for measuring lol

Or breaking countless quickshot joysticks playing Daley Thompson, we made a Frankenstein joystick out of the casualties and added nails instead of plastic.

I got my Spectrum for Xmas in 1983 the first “proper” computer I’d ever laid hands on.  My mum must have saved like mad to get it as a single parent but she thought computers were the future and wanted me to get a good start. 
 Xmas day and the next few weeks we’re spent playing jumping jack, the hobbit and through the wall from the horizons demo tape. 
 I honestly don’t think I’d have had the passion for gaming or the career in IT I have nowadays if it hadn’t been for that affordable little box. 
 Sir Clive saw the future in that regard and put it in reach of everyone. 

I posted a little message on Twitter describing him as my childhood hero (which is absolutely true) and it was “liked” a few minutes later by one of his family, which made my evening. 

I hope he knew what an impact he had on an entire generation. As with so many here, his inventions shaped my entire life. And practically invented an industry. Sir Clive was more important, more influential for me than any movie star or rock star, and he and his creations were an absolutely integral part of my life growing up. Rest in peace, you crazy eccentric genius you. 

Another thing: the QL wasn't as huge a success as Sir Clive would have liked it to be but it was Linus Torvald's first computer, the one he taught himself programming on as a kid. And we all know where that ended up.

I didn't have a ZX81 - but played one every weekend and all summer through the 80s at my cousin's. I had a Commodore Plus/4 and later C64, but loved them all equally.

I have actually had a few goes on a C5. Sandown IOW had an outdoor amusement area with big slides/crazy golf etc and they replaced the quad bikes with C5s for a couple of years on the track that went round and under the big slides.

Great days.

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

[Cross-post]

Farewell you lovely boffin. The ZX81 and Speccy cemented my life-long fascination with this hobby.

10 PRINT RIP SIR CLIVE SINCLAIR

20 GOTO 10

C Nonsense in BASIC, 10:1

23 minutes ago, deKay said:

C Nonsense in BASIC, 10:1

Damn it, I made the same joke remark in the other thread but I forgot the correct word was ‘nonsense’.

Admit it, you googled that for accuracy right?

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Damn it, I made the same joke remark in the other thread but I forgot the correct word was ‘nonsense’.

Admit it, you googled that for accuracy right?

Actually, no. Sorry :)

Another one who was given a lifetime career by SCS. I still have my 48K in the loft, in its box, with loading cables and horizon tape and manual. Unfortunately, the one time

I fired it up in the last few years, the output , just rolls and rolls, and the keyboard don't work. Still keeping it.  

RIP fella.