New Wipeout Game!…..for mobile

Sarlaccfood

Moving my post from the other thread!

The adrenaline-fueled anti-gravity PlayStation® classic WIPEOUT™ has been reborn as a fluid combination of merge, idle, and action game built from the ground up for mobile. Become the team manager and use your quick wits to earn and upgrade ships before you pit them in races against an all-star cast of charismatic bosses on your way to championship cup victory.

• A fresh new spin on the classic franchise
  • Intense marriage of merge, idle, and card collection to influence races
  • More than 60 iconic ships from the Wipeout franchise
  • A robust single-player campaign through 12 championship cups
  • Learn more about the racers themselves via comic-book-style storytelling
  • Five environments with unique tracks
  • Tune and upgrade ships and weapons for each individual race
  • Experiment with ships and tracks to find the winning combination
  • An original electronica soundtrack created by lSony musician Alastair Lyndsay
  • Gorgeous visuals at a blistering 60 frames per second on modern mobile devices

https://rogueco.com/portfolio-item/wipeout-rush/

"Merge, idle and card collection". 🤔

I posted this in the none dedicated thread, may as well put it here.

I'm all for games trying something new and I'm certainly not anti mobile everything, I mean I fucking love emulation and games that play nice with my Kishi, Rush Rally etc but a mobile Wipeout game were you don't control the actual racing is pretty disappointing.

I often see people say they'll support a title that they don't have much interest in if they like the series it belongs to and that series has been left on the shelf, in a hope that in doing so sends a message to the money men that there's a market for said series, is that a fruitless endeavour? I'm asking, has any game series been brought back to life and given a new mainline game after seeing people's support for a low effort entry?

If there is any credence in the above I'll give it a try and throw it a few sheckles but I'm thinking the answer to that question is a no. That's a pity because if it was 100% yes and guaranteed a new mainline title I'd support the hell out of it, crappy or no, I absolutely love Wipeout, along with Ridge Racer and Virtua Racing arcade I'd say it was the game/series that really got me into gaming.

Just a mobile game that you controlled in the traditional Wipeout way would've been great, I mean it looks nice enough on the track in that video. Guess that would be harder to monetise.

Suppose we will always have the superlative Omega to play, and play it I do, just not before bedtime anymore, fucks you right up.

I was afraid this might be skill based, but final screenshot shows mutiple currencies and energy! And importantly, a big plus beside one of the currencies so you can buy more! YUS! Monetisation is on point!

(said no-one ever)

Does anyone how this is actually played? “Merge” makes me think it’s based on the “merge 3” mechanic that’s the current fad in F2P games (eg Evermerge). I guess the cards are lootbox power ups on top of that? I shouldn’t have to reverse engineer the gameplay for a game that has a minutes long in-game trailer.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Does anyone how this is actually played? “Merge” makes me think it’s based on the “merge 3” mechanic that’s the current fad in F2P games (eg Evermerge). I guess the cards are lootbox power ups on top of that? I shouldn’t have to reverse engineer the gameplay for a game that has a minutes long in-game trailer.

I neither know nor care, Travesty.

On 16/09/2021 at 21:39, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Why not just port the proper game? Nobody gives a shit about this card shite! I’m presuming the sole reason is because they can’t charge for IAPs otherwise. 

1. Because direct console ports to mobile don't make very much money.

2. Because the actual global audience of people who still care about Wipeout is considerably smaller than people from the UK who bought a PS1 at launch 25 years ago perceive it to be.

This existing doesn't stop the 'proper' Wipeout games from existing or anyone from making 'futuristic racing games' on any format.

I'm interested to see how it plays.

And no, this isn't Sony's first mobile game or even close.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Eh, I'd be happy enough just turning on my phone and looking at something like this while a number goes up in the background. Not like Mobile games are ever great anyway.

https://phoboslab.org/wipeout/

“Finally, I had a complete, textured, vertex-lit scene and track. Using three.js drawing everything was a no-brainer,”

I was going to say that. Impressive little project!