"Games Season" is looking a bit thin - what are you excited for?

HarryBizzle

New stuff I’m wanting to play that’s coming out before the end of the year (and before Elden Ring consumes me in January):

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania

Metroid Dread

FXIV: Endwalker

Advance Wars

Old stuff that I already own and haven’t yet played, but would like to before I die:

A Short Hike

Guacamelee 

Hyper Light Drifter

Yoshi’s Crafted World

Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne

Yakuza 6

Judgment 

The Last of Us Part 2 

Metal Gear Solid V 

Batman: Arkham Knight

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Death Stranding

Doom 2016

Limbo

God of War

Final Fantasy IV

Final fantasy IX

FFXIV: Stormblood

FFXIV: Shadowbringers

Uncharted 4

Horizon Zero Dawn 

Axiom Verge 2

… and about a million others, no doubt.

Will also probably buy a stack more JRPGs for playing over Christmas. Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI and shit. 

I’m sorted.

After reading the endless lists of games people have lined up for the end of the year, I wonder what made the OP think it was looking thin. The only thin area seems to be Sony first party exclusives as far as I can tell, but now they seem to have fully embraced backwards compatibility, even that isn’t looking too bad.

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

After reading the endless lists of games people have lined up for the end of the year, I wonder what made the OP think it was looking thin. The only thin area seems to be Sony first party exclusives as far as I can tell, but now they seem to have fully embraced backwards compatibility, even that isn’t looking too bad.

It’s actually really bothering me now. Explain yourself @HarryBizzle :quote:

55 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s actually really bothering me now. Explain yourself @HarryBizzle :quote:

I like blockbuster games and now there aren’t really any big single player blockbusters that I’m super interested in this year. I like Forza but it’s a dip in and out kind of game, and I loved Halo 5, but only for the MP. 

Usually at this time of year there’s so much stuff that I’m wanting 1-2 games per month and thinking that some games will just have to wait, but this year there’s nothing I want to buy. Nothing anyone’s mentioned has really made me think “oh, I forgot about that.”

As I say, I may well get Deathloop or just use the opportunity to replay God of War. There’s also some cool indie games coming out like Sable. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I like blockbuster games and now there aren’t really any big single player blockbusters that I’m super interested in this year. I like Forza but it’s a dip in and out kind of game, and I loved Halo 5, but only for the MP. 

Usually at this time of year there’s so much stuff that I’m wanting 1-2 games per month and thinking that some games will just have to wait, but this year there’s nothing I want to buy. Nothing anyone’s mentioned has really made me think “oh, I forgot about that.”

As I say, I may well get Deathloop or just use the opportunity to replay God of War. There’s also some cool indie games coming out like Sable. 

I agree - even though there are lots of games coming out, it still doesn't really feel like much of a blockbuster Q4. Sony hasn't got much in the way of big hitters now that Deathloop is out and Horizon is delayed. Nintendo has Dread, but that's a 2D game in a series which previously was seen as handheld fare; it's not exactly Mario Odyssey. Microsoft are probably best placed with Forza and Infinite, but I feel like the hype for Forza hasn't quite had enough time to brew, and I'm not sure what sort of state to expect Halo to be in at launch. 

All of this is to be expected, of course - I think the industry is feeling the fallout of the pandemic a lot more this year than in 2020, as lots of people predicted we would.

On 14/09/2021 at 16:01, Triple A said:

I'm most excited about working through my backlog, and finally getting emulation working properly on my PC.

Other than that, Forza Horizon 5 looks good, and SMT V and Metroid are nailed on purchases.

EDIT: oh and some of the shmups mentioned here too 🙂

100% this. My backlog is a state and I’m glad to have a bit of a lull to clatter it.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I agree - even though there are lots of games coming out, it still doesn't really feel like much of a blockbuster Q4. Sony hasn't got much in the way of big hitters now that Deathloop is out and Horizon is delayed. Nintendo has Dread, but that's a 2D game in a series which previously was seen as handheld fare; it's not exactly Mario Odyssey. Microsoft are probably best placed with Forza and Infinite, but I feel like the hype for Forza hasn't quite had enough time to brew, and I'm not sure what sort of state to expect Halo to be in at launch. 

All of this is to be expected, of course - I think the industry is feeling the fallout of the pandemic a lot more this year than in 2020, as lots of people predicted we would.

The bit I've highlighted there is becoming more and more important to me. I used to love the blockbuster AAA games, but my experience has been soured over and over to the point where I mostly buy smaller titles now and wait for any big games to be in a decent state. This often means that by the time the game works properly I'm over it and just never end up buying it.

15 hours ago, Strafe said:

Honourable mentions to riders republic

I’d forgotten about this, I enjoyed the bike bits in the beta but not sure the rest was as good as Steep. Definitely one to pick up when cheaper but not sure on release.

23 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Forza and Halo are on Game Pass, so those. I'd be interested in picking up Deathloop, but now Arkane have been acquired you know it'll make it's way there at some point.

The entire internet appears to think "1 year" for Deathloop.

3 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Got the GBA cart in a drawer somewhere. Wanna play it. This character looks gangsta:

image.jpeg.ed8a6588f0ad4531408e15831c5c7875.jpeg

Fair enough, gotta finish those games. It’s better than FF XV, in any case!

I actually worked this out the other night partly in an attempt to stop myself buying any more games, and partly to see if it really was a thin season. Of course I’ve got tons to play and there is loads coming up. A terrifying amount really.  The arrival of GamePass has basically ensured I never finish anything, ever, and that’s not looking as if it’s going to change.

Behold, my crippling ADHD laid bare! (Apologies for also including some older games on here)

Games I have been playing on and off for between 9-18 months and really need to finish

Yakuza 7

Dragon Quest XI

Spiritfarer

Stuff I’ve started recently and need to finish before buying anything else

Psychonauts 2

F1 2021 Braking Point story mode

The Artful Escape

Games I will consistently be returning to to prat around in:

NBA 2K22

Dyson Sphere Program

State of Decay 2

Assorted Picross titles 

Upcoming GamePass stuff I’m actively excited for

Forza 5

Halo Infinite

Age of Empires 4

The Riftbreaker

Back 4 Blood

Upcoming GamePass stuff I will also check out because what the hell

Lemnis Gate

Sable

Aragami 2

Unsighted

Football Manager 22

Probably the single game I am most excited to play but nevertheless feel like I need to carve out a chunk of uninterrupted time for it, so who knows when I’ll get around to actually playing through the thing 

Lost Judgment 

Switch stuff I’m excited for:

Metroid Dread

Advance Wars

The ‘vulnerable to reading a good review at the right/wrong moment’ column 

Deathloop

Diablo 2 Remastered

FIFA 22 

eFootball or whatever PES is calling itself now 

Far Cry 6

Danganronpa Collection

Earthward

Games that drop out of nowhere that will suddenly seem like the most interesting thing in the world 

??? x 8, let’s say 

I've got more than enough shit to be cracking on with, a mild winter games drop is exactly what I need. Even shit like Horizon 5 and Halo are going to have to wait while I mop up each of their predecessors. It's my own fault, I like to finish a game, the trouble is I jump from title to title, an hour on Control here an Hour on Nioh 2 there, that kind of thing. It's very rare that I'll stick solidly to one game from start to finish, although I will finish that game, mostly.

So yeah, I'm pretty happy with a quiet winter release schedule, my head will pop off in Feb mind. 

Yeah, Football Manager games are such a massive time sink - not because they are so engrossing necessarily, but even on a good system with a single league (where the game rates the speed as 5-star), it just takes so long to get through. That's true even when you delegate all the useless stuff to the AI (like press conferences, team talks). 

It's a shame because there is nothing quite like the odd feeling you get from discovering a regen superstar or having your youth team product take you to glory, but it is so ponderous to play it really does Rob you of time for anything else if you get hooked.

Related, but what are the new features meant to be in this edition?