Jump to content
IGNORED

Hate is a strong word.


dumpster
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

 

Not for Roblox.

How can you literally hate Roblox? Sure, I’m not spending any time on it myself but some of the games you can play in Roblox are actually really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Rayn said:

How can you literally hate Roblox? Sure, I’m not spending any time on it myself but some of the games you can play in Roblox are actually really good.

 

Firstly, it's a con. An awful toolkit that rips off a creator's time and efforts with obscenely large profit margins. The games seem to be 90% cheap donkey chasing carrot affairs with only a basic semblance of gameplay and are full of overpriced pay to win transactions. Any truly decent idea gets washed away in days with a hundred poor copies. There's no moderation and you will see racist/sexist usernames daily. It's awash with dodgy content. I mean, there's horror games on there with no warning or restrictions. I have to watch my kid play it which is not fun. It's the videogame equivalent of YouTube. Completely mindless and vapid with zero quality control. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate The Gamers(tm).

 

Sam Maggs writes the KOTOR Remake. Sam has said that KOTOR (old one) is not her favorite Star Wars game, Sam likes The Last Jedi, Sam used the term "Patriarchy" several times in her tweets

 

Naturally, The Gamers(tm) are very upset. By now you know what type of abuse she had to deal with since the announcement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love stuff like 12 minutes and David Cage's output

 

What I fucking hate is some of my favourite single player franchises getting turned into multiplayer bollocks. I cannot stand multiplayer gaming (well, local is good but online can do one).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I hate The Gamers(tm).

Yeah, and also the vast majority of things that ever get described as The Community(TM).

 

There can't be too many words in the English language that have been rendered more meaningless over the past 5-10 years. If I was an alien visiting Earth my natural assumption would be that a community is a collection of people who come together through their mutual antipathy towards one another, the thing they're talking about and anyone who isn't part of The Community. And then I'd be really confused about the reasoning behind corporate entities being so desperate to use throw the word into their marketing speak at every opportunity.

 

Obviously that's not just games by any stretch, but add in Gamers(TM) and it makes for quite a broth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

 

Firstly, it's a con. An awful toolkit that rips off a creator's time and efforts with obscenely large profit margins. The games seem to be 90% cheap donkey chasing carrot affairs with only a basic semblance of gameplay and are full of overpriced pay to win transactions. Any truly decent idea gets washed away in days with a hundred poor copies. There's no moderation and you will see racist/sexist usernames daily. It's awash with dodgy content. I mean, there's horror games on there with no warning or restrictions. I have to watch my kid play it which is not fun. It's the videogame equivalent of YouTube. Completely mindless and vapid with zero quality control. 

Fair enough, I don’t have any insights to any of your claims but if what you say is true I can understand why you’d hate the administration behind Roblox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Fair enough, I don’t have any insights to any of your claims but if what you say is true I can understand why you’d hate the administration behind Roblox.

 

There was a recent article in Edge, and also this from Eurogamer. the rest of my vitriol comes from having to watch my 6yo play it and repeatedly having to explain how spending £5 on Robux to buy a skin for one of the million games on the platform is not a good use of money.

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-20-roblox-exploiting-young-game-developers-new-investigation-reports

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate the 3D Sonic games.

 

Sonic was my first gaming love, and Sonic 1 got me into gaming. All I’ve ever wanted is a decent modern Sonic, and I get suckered in to the Sonic cycle every time. They’ve had endless opportunities to make something worthwhile, but they range from utter shite to mediocre at best. Some of them have the odd moment of greatness, which makes it all the more frustrating.
 

Then you see a small team of fan game devs putting out Sonic Mania and getting everything - the level design, the visuals, and the goddamn physics - absolutely note-perfect. And Nintendo revamping the 3D Mario formula so many times over the last 25 years I’ve lost count, and knocking it out the park each and every time.

 

It’s worse than a crappy game that I can safely ignore. It’s a game I want to love, will probably play, and despite rock-bottom expectations I’ll still leave disappointed. Worthy of hate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/09/2021 at 13:29, Kayin Amoh said:

I was pretty fucking unimpressed with Dead or Alive of all things once it started stuffing its roster full of characters that look like kids.

 

Not only that, they leaned into it full blast and made them the face of a series that always had a strong emphasis on so called fanservice.

 

Turned me clean off, and I can't really look at the series without a certain amount of anger building up at what they'd done to a series I'd enjoyed up until that point.

 

Granted I have not played it in a while but the only one that looks like a kid i remember is Marie Rose - but yeah the game was always geared towards perverts as the male characters have hardly any costumes compared with the female.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sumire said:

 

Granted I have not played it in a while but the only one that looks like a kid i remember is Marie Rose - but yeah the game was always geared towards perverts as the male characters have hardly any costumes compared with the female.

 

NiCO from 6 and Kanna from XVV also look what can only be described as questionably young. While I noped out of the series once Jimmy Saville became the main audience for their marketing (and going by the sales figures for 6, so did a lot of people), pretty sure all the new XVV characters are teens at the oldest. Just a bunch of moe bullshit.

 

I'm not even sure XVV's the right name for the game I'm thinking of. Y'know, that Volleyball thing that ditched most of the main cast that were over twenty in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Paulando said:

I hate the 3D Sonic games.

 

Sonic was my first gaming love, and Sonic 1 got me into gaming. All I’ve ever wanted is a decent modern Sonic, and I get suckered in to the Sonic cycle every time. They’ve had endless opportunities to make something worthwhile, but they range from utter shite to mediocre at best. Some of them have the odd moment of greatness, which makes it all the more frustrating.
 

Then you see a small team of fan game devs putting out Sonic Mania and getting everything - the level design, the visuals, and the goddamn physics - absolutely note-perfect. And Nintendo revamping the 3D Mario formula so many times over the last 25 years I’ve lost count, and knocking it out the park each and every time.

 

It’s worse than a crappy game that I can safely ignore. It’s a game I want to love, will probably play, and despite rock-bottom expectations I’ll still leave disappointed. Worthy of hate.

 

Last boss aside I loved Generations. It really re-ignited my love for the series long dormant since the 16-bit days. I agree though the majority of 3D sonic games are not even that bad but just aggressively average, and that's almost worse? like you can see traces of brilliance if they just doubled down on what works but they become too concerned with sticking in new features rather than refining the good in what came before. The fact that Mania 2 wasn't commissioned immediately after the critical and consumer response to the first game is a classic sign of franchise mismanagement if I ever saw it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

 

NiCO from 6 and Kanna from XVV also look what can only be described as questionably young. While I noped out of the series once Jimmy Saville became the main audience for their marketing (and going by the sales figures for 6, so did a lot of people), pretty sure all the new XVV characters are teens at the oldest. Just a bunch of moe bullshit.

 

I'm not even sure XVV's the right name for the game I'm thinking of. Y'know, that Volleyball thing that ditched most of the main cast that were over twenty in it.

 

Think I stopped after 6. Not even heard of Kanna. The devs seemed more interested in selling costumes than the actual fighting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sumire said:

 

Think I stopped after 6. Not even heard of Kanna. The devs seemed more interested in selling costumes than the actual fighting.

 

Absolutely. Just hideous work all round - shame, because Doa 5 actually started out very promising. Then it all went straight to shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

 

Absolutely. Just hideous work all round - shame, because Doa 5 actually started out very promising. Then it all went straight to shit.

 

Agreed, 5 was a game I wouldn't mind my wife watching me play, especially on launch when it had VF characters and limited fanservice but 6? No chance

 

Ironic when it was announced, it was reported;
 

Quote

 

Dead or Alive 6 will introduce new characters to the series, and Team Ninja has opted to tone down the overly sexualized approach to the series’ female fighters, removing the games’ comical breast physics and giving characters like Helena and Kasumi less revealing clothing.

 

what a bait and switch if there ever was one. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate that every YouTuber thinks we need their own personal take on 'The History of the [console]' that are always just the same facts and anecdotes as every similarly titled video but in slightly different order. Either provide some new insight or fuck off.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poorly paced “narrative adventures” (I don’t know what you would call them.) I don’t mind games where all you’re doing is walking from one piece of exposition to another - I happily wandered around looking for letters and notes in Gone Home for the 90 minutes it lasted - as long as the exposition is engaging and goes somewhere. I think I watched a substantial chunk of someone’s Night in the Woods playthrough, and to me it felt like they had managed to milk hours of play from a game where nothing has happened. In the case of NitW I’m willing to admit that I’m the problem, because that game is clearly more about character building than a central narrative drive, but having too many “inconsequential” scenes can kill my interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Console Wars and the utterly bizarre 'rivalry' people have for a console they don't own.  Just a weird stance to have when this is a hobby we all love.  'Support' for a particular manufacturer - in the same way people have allegiances towards football teams - is something I will never understand.

 

I love video games - the platform the games appear on isn't something that sways my opinion on that game.  

 

Whenever discussions in a thread such as the Game Pass thread begin to err towards fanboy wars, it makes me cringe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Console Wars and the utterly bizarre 'rivalry' people have for a console they don't own.  Just a weird stance to have when this is a hobby we all love.  'Support' for a particular manufacturer - in the same way people have allegiances towards football teams - is something I will never understand.

 

I love video games - the platform the games appear on isn't something that sways my opinion on that game.  

 

Whenever discussions in a thread such as the Game Pass thread begin to err towards fanboy wars, it makes me cringe.


Oh yeah, totally this. Like, we’re generally all adults here, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Poorly paced “narrative adventures” (I don’t know what you would call them.) I don’t mind games where all you’re doing is walking from one piece of exposition to another - I happily wandered around looking for letters and notes in Gone Home for the 90 minutes it lasted - as long as the exposition is engaging and goes somewhere. I think I watched a substantial chunk of someone’s Night in the Woods playthrough, and to me it felt like they had managed to milk hours of play from a game where nothing has happened. In the case of NitW I’m willing to admit that I’m the problem, because that game is clearly more about character building than a central narrative drive, but having too many “inconsequential” scenes can kill my interest.

This is an interesting point because I actually enjoyed night in the woods quite a bit, even though it did have inconsequential scenes but I think that was because I was playing it. I'd imagine watching my play through would have been boring too. 

 

I think watching someone else play a game like that is never going to be interesting because part of the game is you thinking about what's happening while you're wandering about doing those inconsequential things.

 

I wonder if the interactivity makes a larger difference in more "boring" games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure I've beaten this drum many times in several other threads, but ...

 

I *hate* modern sports games. I expect there are still some fun sports games being made by indie devs in some corner of Steam, but I'm talking about the big name franchises, where more importance is placed on your chosen club's corporate sponsor logo looking right than whether the gameplay is fun. Everytime I see yet another annual iteration of these things being advertised, I get a little angrier about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The state of kid's games. Both in the past and now. 

 

In the past, they were shit because publishers were fucking idiots. They keep making a set of minigames on a budget, because they're on a budget and kids have no attention span. But really they should be doing one thing really well because that's cheaper and these kids that have no attention span aren't going to learn to do 10 shit things, when they can focus on one really good one. 

 

No game developer sets out to make a shit game. I've seen some really good ones for the first half of development. Then the suits say it's too hard. It's not particularly hard, they just have no respect for the abilities of children. Kids are the only people with the time to git gud. Then as the game finishes it's too easy and the ask us to hack in a bunch of bloody time limits!!!

 

If you do somehow get something decent out of the door, they never review well anyway. No wonder they're happy with any old shit on a disc as long as it's got a recognisable cartoon on it. I know reviewers don't play them properly because a number of games don't mention the really shit bits towards the end (because publishers always ask for some other genre to finish the game off like making a completely different game is easy, like a driving section in a platform game I did, that I know no reviewer has ever seen because it was wank). 

 

Now they suck because they barely exist. The ones that do still suck like Paw Patrol. Or kids like good creative games, like Minecraft, which is good in one way. In the other way, they also like watching charismatic racists play it better while making whooping noises. Get off my lawn!!!

 

 

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. We know it's possible to do a good one because the Lego games exist. Well, they could improve the cameras. And why is everything locked? Why do I need to put at least 20 hours in to unlock enough characters for my kid to muck about in it. Just unlock the game!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The perfect game that fills this remit for me is Nier Automata. I threw myself into it due to the endless praise it was receiving and played right through to the true credits.

 

It has a nice solid 60fps frame rate, and some of the visuals are decent. It also has some really imaginative and cool to play through (the first time) areas. It has a mix of different gameplay types, some of which are very cool the first time around. It encourages repeat playthroughs with key differences which is a truly great idea if it was done right and the base gameplay was fun enough. That’s probably the end of my praise.

 

I hated most of the music, which was stupidly repetitive and had a sort of whiny emo feel to it. I hated how unbalanced the combat was. Very hard has you dying in one hit, which only crazy people would choose, but anything lower and you are encouraged to stock up on healing items, which are essentially unlimited, along with a mod which heals you automatically. It essentially makes the game incredibly easy. So you have one difficulty mode which is ludicrously hard, and all the others which are far too easy and basically fucked. I was most disappointed at this than anything else, as Platinum have proven time and again that they can do amazing combat.

 

To follow are some fairly moderate spoilers which you probably shouldn’t read if you’re definitely going to play it.

 

It has areas which are aggressively tedious as part of the director’s vision. This includes having to traverse a large section of the main map whilst your character stops every 10 seconds or so and does a malfunctioning animation for ages.

 

Each of the playthroughs are far too similar. It’s a game which is only about 25 hours long until you see the final, final ending, and yet so much of it is repetitive (hacking, anyone?) and revisiting areas. It should have been a ten hour game, max. This is something which really gets my goal in general. If you have a good 10 hour game, don’t make it into a much less good 25 hour one.

 

The side quests are incredibly boring. If you ever play it, ignore them. You aren’t missing anything.

 

The story has a few very cool ideas (particularly in the final playthrough), but it really isn’t as great or unique as people say and it’s certainly not good enough to be the main reason to play through 30 hours of average gameplay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.